Is the Remington R51 the biggest debacle in firearm history?

This is a discussion on Is the Remington R51 the biggest debacle in firearm history? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Seriously,does anyone have one of these pistols that actually functions reliably? Reading the various forums would lead one to believe that every one of these ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: Is the Remington R51 the biggest debacle in firearm history?

Seriously,does anyone have one of these pistols that actually functions reliably?
    Reading the various forums would lead one to believe that every one of these pistols produced has had to go back to Remington for one issue or another.

Considering the hype leading up to the R51s release,I do not believe all of the negative publicity is what top management at Remington was looking for right out of the gate,and now there is very little chatter at all because it seems nobody is buying the R51.

Seems to me Remington tried using an old design that was questionable versus the alternatives which have stood the tests of time,and marketed it as the next greatest thing,then totally dropped the ball on its manufacture.

I see this thing quietly disappearing from the Remington lineup soon.and more heads rolling at Remington.
    5lima30ret likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by roadrash View Post
    Seems to me Remington tried using an old design that was questionable versus the alternatives which have stood the tests of time,and marketed it as the next greatest thing,then totally dropped the ball on its manufacture.
    Nothing wrong with the old design. Gussy it up with new-fangled additions and lousy manufacturing practices of today's Remington, and you get the R-51.

When I picked up some ammo at the LGS yesterday, I was given a raffle ticket for an R-51. I filled it out, and in the off-chance I win, I'm going to do something I promised myself I'd never do again - sell a firearm. In this case, I'd do it without even opening the box.
    5lima30ret, Taurahe and oscar1 like this.

At least that way you would be able to sell it with a clear conscience.
    gen3 likes this.

Biggest debacle? I don't think so. It's just another v1.0 release. MANY makers of MANY products have various issues during the v1.0 release of new items that get corrected over the first year or two.
    Secret Spuk and Rotorflyr like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Biggest debacle? I don't think so. It's just another v1.0 release. MANY makers of MANY products have various issues during the v1.0 release of new items that get corrected over the first year or two.
    Really,because I cannot find one review that is positive.
    Is there another newly released firearm that you can name with such a lousy track record?
    I think it is going to be very difficult for Remington to recover from this,I think the R51 has a dark shadow of negativity hanging over its head now,and will be shunned by the majority of the firearms community.First impressions are important.

Quote Originally Posted by roadrash View Post
    Really,because I cannot find one review that is positive.
    Is there another newly released firearm that you can name with such a lousy track record?
    The Boberg pistol.
    The original Kahr K9, which had its own litany of teething pains.
    Many of the 1911 "race gun" offerings by makers in the 1990's, when IPSC took on mythic proportions.
    ... and I'm sure there are dozens more.

Point being, many individual products flub from time to time, and many of those get corrected if basically solid and of a basically reasonable design. Only time will tell, in the case of any product, and that'll be the case here as well. The thing just hit the market. It's a bit too soon to think the first-weeks issues are the nails in the coffin and the biggest debacle of the past century.
    maxwell97 and Rotorflyr like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Maybe,but I think the hype and anticipation prior to the release of this pistol, along with Remingtons total failure to deliver from a manufacturing and QC perspective has already sealed the deal for this gun in todays internet age.

Senior Member Array sonnycrocket's Avatar
    nah,Id say the XDs is the biggest debacle i ever seen with its 100% recall

Remington will get it right,call me in 2015 I may look at one again LOL
    frankma likes this.

VIP Member
    The R51 is turning into a big flop, for sure, but it's not going to send Remington into death throes. I seriously doubt that any firearm manufacturer has escaped this sort of thing during an initial release of something. They've all dealt with their share of issues, some legit and some overhyped, recalls and failures to leave the gate. Glock, Ruger, Springfield... Heck, Caracal had to recall every pistol they produced and they're back with even more lines than before... Remington is a well established, well invested company. They'll learn from their mistakes, fix or scrap the design, and start over. You're right that there will probably be some heads that roll, but it's not going to cause them to shutter the doors.

If you go back and check out threads, not just here but probably any decent firearms forum, and you'll see plenty of people sharing the attitude of "I'll wait and see" when discussing the R51; there's a reason for that and it's not because Remington has a track record of producing junk that doesn't work. Any time that any firearm manufacturer introduces a 'revolutionary' game changer, there's going to be those that buy into the pre-release hype and those that want to see the final product get some miles under it. I'd guess that every time something like this fails, you get a whole new generation of 'wait and seeers'.
    Eric357 likes this.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Seems for all of the hype it fell flat. I had lot of interest in it . Not any more.

Distinguished Member Array Wunderneun's Avatar
    Same here. I won't be buying one for a long while.
    Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation
    Devastation to your doorstep in 30 Minutes or Less. Minuteman III--- SAC WILL BE BACK!http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic80391_2.gif

I like all kinds of foreign guns. Walther, SIG-Sauer, and H&K.

VIP Member
    Caracal C was a doozy. Not drop safe and no fix, all pistols recalled.

The XDS was a biggun....possible slamfire.

At least with the R51, from what I have read so far, none of the problems can kill people.
    manolito and Wishoot like this.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Went to a gun show yesterday, was looking for an R51 to look over, fondle a bit, see if there was anything to this negative hype. Couldn't find any. They're either gone or the dealers left them at the shop. S&W survived the Sigma fiasco. Remington will sort this out if they choose to.
    Never argue with an idiot in public. People passing by won't know which one of you is the idiot.

At least with the R51, from what I have read so far, none of the problems can kill people.

Unless you are counting on the gun to save your own life...

Walked right into that one, man.
    gen3, oscar1 and risalvor like this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

I love Tiberius/Maggie.

VIP Member
    [QUOTE=Brad426;3227442]
    Quote Originally Posted by PEF View Post

Unless you are counting on the gun to save your own life...

Walked right into that one, man.
    Ha! I actually thought of that when writing the post, but then I thought "Who would be that picky to make that point? Brad426? Naaaaah!"
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links