Looking Hard At the Kahr P380

This is a discussion on Looking Hard At the Kahr P380 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I put up a thread seeking experience regarding a .380 mouse gun. I have never owned one, although I have fired several over the years. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Looking Hard At the Kahr P380

VIP Member

Looking Hard At the Kahr P380

I put up a thread seeking experience regarding a .380 mouse gun. I have never owned one, although I have fired several over the years. Anyway, after reading all the great and helpful comments, the Kahr P380 is well in the lead. To be clear, I am getting a .380 solely for learning and instructional purposes and not giving up on my more bullets in a bigger gun is best for me philosophy. That said, I would love to hear first-hand experiences and opinions regarding this particular gun. With my instructor discount, price is not a factor. I'm particularly interested in trigger and recoil opinions. Thanks again for the previous comments.
    Kilowatt3 likes this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

2. Remove Ads

Have you gave any consideration to the CW380?

I handled one in my LGS a week ago and it was definitely a level up from the LCP. I don't think you can go wrong with either P or CW 380.
    drewski1325 and Kilowatt3 like this.

Nasty little gun. I've fired it a number of times at the range with friends who've handed me one to try.

Snappy, inaccurate, with a propensity to slide-bite. I'd look at the LC9 as you get a similar carry with a better round and less drama.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

If it ends up being reliable in your hands, great! I think it's a heck of a mouse gun. I don't think there's an equal on the market, right now. Folks that have them seem to love them.

Enjoyed shooting the three I've had. Unfortunately, whatever it is about the gun combined with my way of shooting them doesn't work reliably.

Trigger: The Kahr triggers won't win any prizes. IMO, none of the Kahr pistols are stellar in this area, unless worked over by a competent gunsmith (ie, Cylinder & Slide). But they aren't bad for what they are. And they'll get better over time, as the grittiness smooths out.

The relatively long pull and somewhat gritty texture aren't going to be noticeable if firing under duress, as with any other gun. In my experience, only under slow, aimed fire does the trigger seem to jump POI around a little. Only a little, in my case.

That said, even with the trigger nature being what it is, it's still one of the more accurate pistols I've fired. I'm more accurate with the P380 than most any snubbie revolver I've ever shot. Even more accurate with the PM9/CM9 platform.

Recoil: Any 10oz gun is going to jump around a bit, with recoil. No way around that. It's how it slaps against your hand that's the key.

IMO, something Kahr has done to the width and shape of the back strap areas on the PM9/CM9/P380 pistols lends themselves to fairly decent recoil handling. The load of the "slap" is spread fairly nicely across the hand, at least in a hand the size and shape of mine.

Can't speak to what others experience, with hands of different sizes. I've probably put ~3000 rounds through the P380's I've had. While it's certainly not a gun I'd want to shoot for 200rds a session, 50rds doesn't hurt anything like what the Kel-Tec P3AT does, by comparison. Handles recoil well, for what it is.
    Mike1956 likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by shockwave View Post
    Nasty little gun. I've fired it a number of times at the range with friends who've handed me one to try.

Snappy, inaccurate, with a propensity to slide-bite. I'd look at the LC9 as you get a similar carry with a better round and less drama.
    I have a CW380 and have the exact opposite opinion. It is the softest shooting pocket 380 I have ever fired. The two dot sights are spot on. Never had any issue with "slide bite" and I have average sized hands. Of course the trigger is just awesome. I use this weapon as a range gun. I can shoot it all day long with no issues. I carry this little buggar everywhere. Fits in all my pockets….even jeans. Love this weapon.
    Mike1956 likes this.

Kahr are either :

1. OH MY GOD I LOVE THIS GOD I HAVE FIRED 1 BILLION ROUNDS IN IT AND IT DID NOT JAM ONE TIME .. OR
    2. This is the worst crap gun I have ever owened ..

Sry this is how most khars turn out like Keltec if you get a good one your golden if not .... People on here have gone though 3 or 4 khars and hate them ... I am not fond of the take down or the break in but you get use to it ..

That said many people have issues with mags and break in ..If it dont work past 200-300 rounds your in a for a rough time more often then not
    sonnycrocket and rugergunner like this.
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    I am not a lawyer .. Just a dog typing on the internet ..Spelling media apparatus male portatili. Malo me non reprehendo
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Senior Member Array sonnycrocket's Avatar
    P380s are really hit and miss,I praise my PM9 which I deem lucky to have gotten a good one but the P380s are found to have a high rate of problems and returns
    I disagree with the poster above and think they have a great trigger,very much like a S&W revolver IMO,....If you grab one cross your fingers!
    WrongRecroom likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by sonnycrocket View Post
    P380s are really hit and miss,I praise my PM9 which I deem lucky to have gotten a good one but the P380s are found to have a high rate of problems and returns
    I disagree with the poster above and think they have a great trigger,very much like a S&W revolver IMO,....If you grab one cross your fingers!

Kahr sponsored by the beer makers of America ....
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    I am not a lawyer .. Just a dog typing on the internet ..Spelling media apparatus male portatili. Malo me non reprehendo
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sioux565 View Post
    Have you gave any consideration to the CW380?

I handled one in my LGS a week ago and it was definitely a level up from the LCP. I don't think you can go wrong with either P or CW 380.
    I can get the P for a great price with my instructor discount.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

This is very helpful, as I am in a fight between getting the CW380 and the Glock 42. I want the Kahr for the price and size for pocket carry and easy deep concealment for IWB. The Glock is more $ but it's a better shooter. Hesitant about new to market guns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn't be a bit afraid to run a P380.

That said, I think I'd prefer a SIG P238. Not quite as many reliability questions anymore.

Senior Member Array sonnycrocket's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dash13a View Post
    This is very helpful, as I am in a fight between getting the CW380 and the Glock 42. I want the Kahr for the price and size for pocket carry and easy deep concealment for IWB. The Glock is more $ but it's a better shooter. Hesitant about new to market guns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    got the 42 a few days ago,ran 100 through it and so far so good.....wife carrys it

If just for instructional use, then go for it. Just be aware that you have a higher likelihood of drama with a Kahr than with a different make, due to the offset feed ramp and steep feed angle.

I actually considered putting my finicky PM9 back in service last week. Told myself if it ran 150 RN FMJ ok, then I would try a box of Critical Defense, thinking the pointy bullets might help. Well, on the second mag of RN FMJ, I got yet another nose down jam. That's it. Like a cheating lover, this gun is gone as soon as I can find a 3 inch SP 101 to trade it toward.

Like you, I got it via their instructor sales program, so at least I won't lose too much in the deal...

Best of luck if you go that route...but really, I'd get the G42 given your criteria.
    ccw9mm and FlaRon like this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

I've had a P380 for several years now. I don't carry it too often (more of a j-frame guy), but I do like it a lot. When I was looking for a .380 I tried all the ones available, but the P380 fit my small hand the best. Kel Tec, LCP, etc. just didn't "feel right" in my hand like the P380. I did have major issues with it at first, but after a trip back to Kahr it has been fine. Mine is very accurate and pleasant to shoot, even with the BB "+p" loads.

Senior Member Array rugergunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WrongRecroom View Post
    Kahr are either :

1. OH MY GOD I LOVE THIS GOD I HAVE FIRED 1 BILLION ROUNDS IN IT AND IT DID NOT JAM ONE TIME .. OR
    2. This is the worst crap gun I have ever owened ..

Sry this is how most khars turn out like Keltec if you get a good one your golden if not .... People on here have gone though 3 or 4 khars and hate them ... I am not fond of the take down or the break in but you get use to it ..

That said many people have issues with mags and break in ..If it dont work past 200-300 rounds your in a for a rough time more often then not
    This has been my experience with two different Kahrs. The only "mouse gun" I own now is my LCP. I have many rounds through it without one malfunction. It is harder to shoot, especially with my large hands, but I can get accurate fire with it at 7 or 8 yards and a one second cadence. The only thing I don't like about it is that it has no last-shot hold open for the slide. I only carry this gun when I need to be very discrete.
    ccw9mm likes this.
    I would rather die on my feet, than to live on my knees.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links