Any Comments On The XD45 Compact?

This is a discussion on Any Comments On The XD45 Compact? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just bought the XD45 Compact from Springfield. Haven't shot it yet, but was impressed by the fact that the higher capacity magazine makes it ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any Comments On The XD45 Compact?

Any Comments On The XD45 Compact?

I just bought the XD45 Compact from Springfield. Haven't shot it yet, but was impressed by the fact that the higher capacity magazine makes it almost full-sized. Feels great, well balanced, seems to be a good carry gun. Looking forward to comments.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array hsuCowboy98's Avatar
    I have a service XD 45, and absolutely love it. I am looking forward to getting the compact as soon as I lay my hands on one, as it alleviates the only qualm I have about carrying the full size: the butt of the grip sticks out just enough to be noticeable with a t-shirt on.
    Fear No Evil.

We are looking forward to a range report Ricky Lee. When will you be taking her out for a shooting session?
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Soon I hope PT. Good time of year for me to get in alot of shooting. My dealer is also making a custom holster, so it may be a while off as he has to keep the gun for molding, etc.

VIP Member
    It looks like a real cool gun....I read a review of it in "Handguns" magazine.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Ricky . any way you could tell us How much it weighs Loaded?
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Wow, you know, I will tell you this, it's heavier than I would want to carry around all day long fully loaded. But I can't say exactly because I don't know how the weight will be distributed with my holster. Hopefully with 2 loaded mags it will equal out. I will be able to answer this in the future as to if it is comfortable to carry. Not evading the question, but, comfort is of the utmost to me. Good question!!

Is it a 4 or 5 inch?

I'd not had much of a good feeling about the XD line until one of my CCW students bought one and asked ME to wring it out on the range before he ever fired it. Felt like I was in college on a HOT date with a sorority chick. I was very impressed with the full size 45. Very accurate, and most surprisingly, to my smallish hands, very ergonomic and comfortable to shoot. In contrast to the Glock Model 30 I used to own and sold because it felt like a 4x4 in my hand, this gun was sweeeeeet. But the standard is just too big to carry, especially in the South Florida heat. Now, the compact...well I might buy one myself. I also like the fact that it comes with a shorty 10rd mag for carrying and the 13rd for backup. Also, the mag changes are super smooth and decisive. At least in the one I fired. I have no reason to think it'll be different in the compact.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

It's 4 inch. But that's the cool thing. Without the higher capacity mag, it feels like it's more compact. Either way, it is pretty much a full sized gun. Idon't see printing as a problem with this piece. I will probably carry it without the extended mag for this reason, but the 12 shot mag will be by my weak side.

Thanks Soldier, this is exactly the kind of feedback I would like. Also, I am sure that with any carry gun, there are drawbacks. I welcome all response,good, or bad. Thanks again..

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    That is the gun I am looking at as well.
    Whatever doesn't kill you postpones the inevitable.

You mean the 10 round in and the 13 round on the side, or is there a 12 round mag I'm not aware of?

Here's a link to another forum making a comparison (follow the links within the thread to see the XDs side by side with other size XDs/other guns):

http://www.theothersideofkim.com/ind...wthread/16944/

By the way, do you plan on choping an extra 1/2" off it?
    Last edited by cagueits; January 3rd, 2007 at 09:42 PM.

Thanks, I stand corrected, it is very much a 13 round mag. The link you provided is outstanding and I hope prospective buyers will check it out. Not sure about the reference to 1/2" though..please advise..Thanks, Ricky

Taking off an aditional 1/2" off the grip (taking the height of the 4" XD45C from 5.1" to ~4.6" - close to the height of an XD9/40SC). I don't know of any one who has done it yet, but I'm definetly trying it out.

The idea came out from what some XD owners have been doing with the 4" XD9/40. The mod retains the slide/sight radius/barrel lenght of the 4" XDs, but duplicates the XD9/40SC' height. Here's a link to pictures of the actual choped model in 9mm/.40cal:

http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/showthr...highlight=chop

The guys over at xdtalk.com emailed SA's custom shop about warranty issues and SA replied saying that unless SA did it (at $150+S&H), warranty was void. I'm going to email SA to see if they'll do it on a XD45C (5.1" is a little higher than a G23, and 4.6 is a little higher than a G30 with the 9round mag - since I'm on the slender side, I need that extra 1/2" off the grip to CC an XD45C on hot/humid weather with just a polo shirt [print issues]).
    Last edited by cagueits; January 4th, 2007 at 12:04 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links