New Colt for the stable.

New Colt for the stable.

This is a discussion on New Colt for the stable. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was at the LGS, today, intending to purchase an M1A. They did not have the model that I wanted and as I was about ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree62Likes

Thread: New Colt for the stable.

Distinguished Member
    Georgia..South of the mountains, north of the sand flies.

New Colt for the stable.

I was at the LGS, today, intending to purchase an M1A. They did not have the model that I wanted and as I was about to leave, I noticed this in the display case. A new production Colt 1911 Series 70. It was not my fault, the thing followed me home. Please excuse the photo as I just did a quick wipe of the shipping goop.

New70web.jpg

The only noticeable difference, from the old Series 70, is a slight change in the checkering pattern on the grips and, I believe, a change in the front sight. The barrel has a solid bushing whereas the old Series 70s had the spring collet type. Colt states that the trigger is stainless steel.

The trigger pull is a smooth 5lbs 8oz with a very crisp break. The slide is very well fitted, with minimal vertical movement. Sans the heavier trigger, this thing "Feels" more akin to a "Gold Cup" than a regular model. My understanding is that the first of the "new" Series 70s had the Series 80 slides. The hole was there but had no firing pin block installed. This one has the older style slide with no hole for the firing pin block.

Below is a photo of the first Series 70 that I purchased, if memory serves me correctly, in 1972.

1911R.jpg

It has a few aftermarket parts and has "Been through the wringer" but, served me well. I am happy to know that, in these days of cost cutting, that Colt is still producing great firearms. Although the price was 5 times what I paid for my original Series 70, all in all I am pleasantly surprised, and very pleased, with this "Newer" Colt.
    A wise man once said: "Bugout bag?..What's that? Is that all the junk you sidewalk commandos plan on humping when the SHTF...I'll grab a Nylon 66, a box of 22s and a poncho liner and in less than a week I will have all of your stuff and everything else that I need for the duration."

Now, that's a real gun! And a real nice one too:)
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Very nice!!!

OD*
    Very nice, congratulations!

Quote Originally Posted by oldskeetshooter View Post

The only noticeable difference, from the old Series 70, is a slight change in the checkering pattern on the grips and, I believe, a change in the front sight. The barrel has a solid bushing whereas the old Series 70s had the spring collet type. Colt states that the trigger is stainless steel.
    Front and rear sight are different, in addition to the collet bushing, the original Series 70s also had the "Accurizor" barrel.

My understanding is that the first of the "new" Series 70s had the Series 80 slides. The hole was there but had no firing pin block installed.
    The early Series 70 reproductions had the correct slide, it was the frame that was different, those had the "10mm cut-out" on the frame rail for a short time.

vs

"The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

VIP Member
    Congratulations on the new addition to the stable.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Distinguished Member
    Georgia..South of the mountains, north of the sand flies.
    Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    Very nice, congratulations!

Front and rear sight are different, in addition to the collet bushing, the original Series 70s also had the "Accurizor" barrel.

The early Series 70 reproductions had the correct slide, it was the frame that was different, those had the "10mm cut-out" on the frame rail for a short time.

vs

Thanks for the info OD. "You da man"!! I appreciate it. I just brought it home and haven't disassembled it to see any frame differences.
    A wise man once said: "Bugout bag?..What's that? Is that all the junk you sidewalk commandos plan on humping when the SHTF...I'll grab a Nylon 66, a box of 22s and a poncho liner and in less than a week I will have all of your stuff and everything else that I need for the duration."

NICE ADDITION to the Stable!!! You did well!... Congrats congrats...
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

I purchased mine new in 1984 while stationed at Ft.Bragg. Welcome to the club !
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

Got my Series 70 in '73. It still occupies the "If I could only have one" slot. Probably always will.
    Never argue with an idiot in public. People passing by won't know which one of you is the idiot.

Nice addition!
    oldskeetshooter likes this.

Distinguished Member
    My favorite is the Series 70 and earlier.
    You have chosen well.
    "Don't shout for help at night, you may wake your neighbors"

Distinguished Member
    Congrats!

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    There is nothing quite like a Series '70.

Congrats!

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by oldskeetshooter View Post
    Thanks for the info OD. "You da man"!! I appreciate it. I just brought it home and haven't disassembled it to see any frame differences.
    You're welcome sir.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Schwing!!!
    Nice pickup.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links