Questions on SW model 19-2

This is a discussion on Questions on SW model 19-2 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok I went to the range today. They have a gun shop attached to it and we decided to go over and take a look. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree73Likes

Thread: Questions on SW model 19-2

Distinguished Member Array Eric357's Avatar

Ok I went to the range today. They have a gun shop attached to it and we decided to go over and take a look. The had a SW 4inch model 19-2 in okay shape.

Does the 2 designate a year it was made? Condition was so so. Muzzel end of barrel had a lot of blueing worn away. Felt like some light surface rust on the back strap by the grip.

It had the wide trigger with grooves.

They were asking $650 for it. It came with 2 speed loaders and a fobus kydex holster. To me the holster would be useless. I'm sorry but you don't put a revolver in kydex.

I almost put it on layaway but passed. It was a tough pass up.I had never pulled the trigger on a Smith before. It was a very nice trigger.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

-2 or whatever is the dash number indacteding changes in model which yes can be used to date them as welll ..Ie for smith 29 they put locks on them at -6 etc )

I have one but I am selling it .. I got it for like 580 or so (less I think).. Why I selling it and keeping the 586 is

"As it turns out there were a few problems with the model 19 when digesting lots of full power 357’s. Small cracks began to appear at the six o’clock position of the forcing cone along with some cutting of the top strap. These problems weren’t considered a big deal with owners at the time. Not that many people shot 357’s all the time anyway. 38 special ammunition was cheaper and most departments had plenty on hand. Officers adapted and practiced with 38’s with the occasional practice and qualification with 357-magnum ammo. 357 rounds were the obvious carry round on duty. This adaptation solved the problem with the forcing cone and top strap issues."

esp with used guns .. But they are the classic cop gun S&W Model 19 ? The Police Officers Perfect Revolver - The Firearm Blog ..Just dont fire much hot ammo in them ditto j frame 357s ...
    msgt/ret, Eric357 and gatorbait51 like this.
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    I am not a lawyer .. Just a dog typing on the internet ..Spelling media apparatus male portatili. Malo me non reprehendo
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

VIP Member
    The –2 is used to designate it is the second version and has some updated parts installed, each time they make a change to a model they change the dash number for instance my Model 25 id a 25-5. Even with the speedloaders $650 seems a bit high to me and I would try to get the price lowered. I only paid $550 for my 2-˝ inch Model 19-4 and $305 for a 6 inch Model 19-2.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Senior Moderator
    The 19-2 is the model number, here are the changes between the 19, 19-1 and 19-2.

The Bluing on the muzzle is not that important and sounds like standard holster wear. Light surface rust is easy to clean. What is really important to me is lock up and timing.

To test lock up, cock the pistol and try to wiggle the cylinder. If it moves front to back that's bad, a little side to side wiggle is okay, what's not okay is if you move it to one side or the other and it stays there.

To test timing shine a light down the bore with the pistol in full lock up and make sure that each cylinder lines up with the bore.

$650 might be an okay price if lock-up and timing and bore and is in very good condition, but it seems a little high to me in the condition you described.

19 (1957): Stamping of model number.
    19-1 (1959): Change extractor rod, right to left-hand thread.
    19-2 (1961): Cylinder stop changed, delete triggerguard screw.

(1963): Introduce 6" barrel.
    (1963): 50 manufactured with 2.5" barrel, serial range K544672–K544721.
    (1966): Introduce 2.5" barrel as standard.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

The -2 does not represent a year as such. Over time, Sith has made various design changes to the Model 19. Each major change got a new dash. Unfortuantely, I can't tell you exactly what changes made it a -2.

I owned a new original (no dash) Model 19 in the 1970s (it was my duty revolver). It was a magnificent piece of workmanship and wish I still had it. I believe it cost me between $200 and $250 (boy have times changed).
    Eric357 and gatorbait51 like this.
    Earth is the insane asylum of the universe!

The 4" model 19 is pretty common. In that shape I would say he is a little more than I would pay. The one was made around 1961-1962 so it is a very well built gun.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

“Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.”
    - H. G. Wells -

Great thanks guys. It seems like the common thinking is its a bit high. If its there next week whe I take the wife I'll see if he might ome down if not, I wont worry about it. I still have my gp100 and sp101 I just have been wanting to add a Smith. 357's just put a smile on my face.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

650.00 is wayyy too high for that Model 19... more like 450.00 tops...
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

As WrongRecroom said, don't buy a K-frame Smith if you plan on shooting a great deal of Magnum ammunition in it. Find a Smith L-frame, which were strengthened specifically to handle full time Magnum loads.
    WrongRecroom likes this.

Distinguished Member Array shadowwalker's Avatar
    1968 was my first year as a full time deputy sheriff and my duty gun was a Model 19 4inch and I wish I had it back and as great as I the that weapon was I think that I would offer $425 tops, in very good shape, unless it had the box it was shipped in along with test fire target and spent brass than $700.

Quote Originally Posted by sensei2 View Post
    As WrongRecroom said, don't buy a K-frame Smith if you plan on shooting a great deal of Magnum ammunition in it. Find a Smith L-frame, which were strengthened specifically to handle full time Magnum loads.
    Nonsense.

I own several model 19's in several different configurations. The model 19 revolver was designed around the heavier 168 gr .357 SWC. I shoot .357 in all of them. the oldest is 1970 manufacture. I've never had an issue with any fractures in the forcing cone or anywhere else. The fact that some may have had some forcing cone fractures is no reason to not stay away from a 19. I'm noy saying it dont happen, but my experience is that it's about as common as failures in any other handguns.
    Bad Bob and kaikane0812 like this.

Well I'll keep my eyes open. I'll pass on this one due to the price.I don't need another .357. I just want to eventually add a Smith & Wesson to the stable. No hurry.
    WrongRecroom and msgt/ret like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric357 View Post
    Well I'll keep my eyes open. I'll pass on this one due to the price.I don't need another .357. I just want to eventually add a Smith & Wesson to the stable. No hurry.

You missed out topgun was blowing out 586 mk 4 no locks for under 530 or so ..
    CLASS3NH likes this.
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    I am not a lawyer .. Just a dog typing on the internet ..Spelling media apparatus male portatili. Malo me non reprehendo
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Distinguished Member
    I hear what class3 is saying but will add that the Model 19's are increasing in value, or at least asking price. It doesn't make sense but the market is what it is. I've got my dad's 19-3 and wow what a shooter. He worked that trigger to the point of perfect perfection (yeah I know....). I don't feed it a lot of heavy loads but it handles them fine. Just gotta get the screw driver out if you do shoot it heavy and frequently. They're fine revolvers. Be it that one or another you will do yourself well to put one in. Good luck.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

They were asking $650
    I'd be a buyer at maybe $525 depending on the condition. The 19s usually bring a good price around these parts but $650 is a bit more than this cowboy would be willing to pay for that old K Frame Smith..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links