Which Sig for a pocket carry gun: P938 or P290RS?

This is a discussion on Which Sig for a pocket carry gun: P938 or P290RS? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am looking for a 9mm that I can carry IWB most of the time and pocket carry occasionally. I currently carry a Bersa Thunder ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By buckshotshorty

Thread: Which Sig for a pocket carry gun: P938 or P290RS?

Question Which Sig for a pocket carry gun: P938 or P290RS?

I am looking for a 9mm that I can carry IWB most of the time and pocket carry occasionally. I currently carry a Bersa Thunder 380 which has been very reliable and enjoyable to shoot. However, I want to upgrade to a 9mm which, in addition to be more powerful, it is much cheaper and easier to find. Also, at over 20 oz unloaded and 6.3 in long, the Bersa is a big heavy gun for the 380 caliber. Weight is a major consideration for me which has me leaning towards the P938. The other major consideration is price. In NY, I can find a P290RS ($539) with a laser for about $250 less than P938 ($799). When I have looked online, shipping and FFL fees (not very cheap here, then again nothing is) almost nullify any cost savings.

Both pistols feel good in my hand. The triggers are quite different but I wouldn't say one felt "worse" than the other. The P938 had a SA but somewhat heavy. The P290 had a long but smooth trigger. I don't mind either as I work around children all day and have 4 of my own that like to wrestle with me therefore I don't want a really light trigger. Unfortunately, because I live in NY, I won't have the opportunity to shoot a rental (as far as I know it isn't allowed).

So any opinions?

2. Remove Ads

I know they have gun rental ranges ( not sure on handguns but I think you can) as long as you have a pistol permit ..

800 is way high for a 938 .. I have gotten them for 600 or so 700 max.. I guess differtn places ... The 938 holds 1-2 more rounds .. I had a 938 great gun kind of not sure on the ambi saftey ( I needed to not pinch myselfe iwth it .. That said the 938 is a 1911 in many way it wont go off if the saftey is on .. I though it was a smoth shooter and easy to carry pocket included seem to be more holster for 238s then 938s when I had it though ...

But I have not handled a 290r so I cant say compared them alas ..

But I liked the 938 when I had it .. Just had too many guns and needed to slim down ..
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    I am not a lawyer .. Just a dog typing on the internet ..Spelling media apparatus male portatili. Malo me non reprehendo
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

I don't want to confuse you here but here's my $.02 worth. In a nutshell, I love the 938, but only for IWB carry because it has too many things to snag in your pocket, and the hammer can get pocket lint caught up. The 290 RS is too heavy and wide for pocket carry.

My advice: get yourself a Kahr CM9. I've seen them for under $400 they are great pistols. Nothing to snag, and weighs only 14 ozs. That is my official pocket carry gun, but for IWB carry it's hard to beat this:

zonker1986 likes this.

I have recently looked at the two and would go with the 290RS. It is more snag free and you don't have to worry about the manual safety.

agree with Buckshot, both SIGS are neither pocket guns. Get a Kahr CM9 and call it a day.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

If you're comfortable with a manual safety, P938 all the way.
    It has a much shorter trigger pull, which is great for accurate rapid firing and controlled pairs.

Hi from a western NYer. You can rent pistols at a range in NY as long as you have your permit. Niagara Gun Range, Wolcott gun range and the firing Pin all rent guns near where I live. Check around near where you live.

I had a 290rs and liked it but I am a revolver guy so I do not have it anymore. I have had a Kahr and the Sig and would take the Sig every day. The Sig was very accurate and I did carry it in my pocket but I have to agree with the others and not recommend it. Just my opinion but for pocket carry there are other guns I would carry first.

Quote Originally Posted by buckshotshorty View Post
    I don't want to confuse you here but here's my $.02 worth. In a nutshell, I love the 938, but only for IWB carry because it has too many things to snag in your pocket, and the hammer can get pocket lint caught up. The 290 RS is too heavy and wide for pocket carry.

My advice: get yourself a Kahr CM9. I've seen them for under $400 they are great pistols. Nothing to snag, and weighs only 14 ozs. That is my official pocket carry gun, but for IWB carry it's hard to beat this:

What he said. ^^^^^^^

I just bought a 290RS (no experience with 938) and really like, only have 100rds through it so far. I have a 229 and 224 so I am not used to the dao but found it to be smooth. At 10 yards I was shooting it just as good as my 224. I plan on using this as my summer carry IWB.

I pocket carry a P938.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

I love my 938, but would not pocket carry it. It works so well IWB that I really have little need for pocket carry.

Thanks for everyones input. Although I did really like the Sigs, it really did come down to size and weight. I got good price on a Kahr CM9 so I went ahead and got one. It will still be a while before I can pick it up (NY state and all) but I've heard it requires a bit of a break in. I am trusting that it will prove reliable.

Sorry to chime in late to the party but I pocket carry the p938 and love it. I actually carry a back up mag as well in the pocket rig and it doesn't snag on anything. The hammer will only make contact with clothing if the holster is short and doesn't fully cover the hammer. It pulls easily and I don't wear baggy pants. If anything my pants are slim and it's a great pocket rig. A tag heavy with the extra 6 round mag but totally comfortable all day. IWB is a sig p250SC 9MM if the p938 isn't in the pocket:)

@TheDudeAbides Thanks for your help but as you read I did get a CM9. I got as good a price as I have seen for a NIB at a LGS recently. Which pocket holster do you use?
    BTW, I am waiting for the Sig P320 to come out in SC for those times I can carry larger.

Links