Checkmate 1911 magazines????

This is a discussion on Checkmate 1911 magazines???? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Recently bought a new Dan Wesson CCO, and it came supplied with two Checkmate magazines. 100 rounds later, the mags have been good to go ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By kahrcarrier
  • 1 Post By archer51
  • 1 Post By WHEC724
  • 1 Post By denclaste
  • 1 Post By OD*

Thread: Checkmate 1911 magazines????

Senior Member Array kahrcarrier's Avatar

Checkmate 1911 magazines????

Recently bought a new Dan Wesson CCO, and it came supplied with two Checkmate magazines. 100 rounds later, the mags have been good to go so far, BUT......

I've read and heard some unflattering things about Checkmate.

Are they decent? If not, what would you replace them with?

I run Kimber mags in my Kimbers, and have had zero issues with them, even though I have been assured by many that these, too, are junk mags.

Opinions?
    gatorbait51 likes this.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I've had no problems with the supplied magazines for my DW CBOB, but I use them for the range. I use Chip McCormick PowerMag's for carry.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    I'm of the simple-minded nature of sticking with what works. I replaced the ACT mags that came with my ATI with Wilson mags, and it started gagging. Swap back to ACT and it runs flawlessly. ACT it is.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

I received Checkmate magazines with my Dan Wesson Valor. My Kimbers came with Kim-Pro Tac-Mags, and my Colts came with Colt magazines. I have purchased some Wilson Combat and some Tripp Research magazines. I have used all of them interchangeably with no issues so far.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

I believe that Checkmate is the maker of magazines supplied with the M1A Springfield at the factory. I purchased 3 from Brownells on that assumption, and have had no problems with them.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Senior Member Array kahrcarrier's Avatar
    Okay. Thanks!

It sounds like I may be worrying prematurely.

In my 1911's I've used Metalform, ACT, CMC, Wilson, and some old GI mags of undetermined origin or date. All have functioned well except the CM Shooting Star mags in 10mm. They would not lock back after last shot no matter what I tried. Sent them back and replaced them with Metalform which are functioning great. It seems some pistols are pretty mag specific and others just keep on functioning with any mag.
    molleur likes this.

I use Checkmate for my M1A, and no issue's. Don't have any experience with their 1911 mag's. I use Wilson for my Colt.

I've had great luck with them and trust them for every day carry. They supply mags to several manufacturers. If ever have an issue with them, I'll use Tripp replacement spring kits (which I've used in ACT and Metalform mags).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Chose a weapon that goes bang EVERY time!

Distinguished Member
    I use Wilson mags exclusively. Never an issue feeding anything.
    Had some MecGar's that didn't like hollow points and ditto for the McCormac's (very occasionally).
    "Don't shout for help at night, you may wake your neighbors"

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by kahrcarrier View Post
    Recently bought a new Dan Wesson CCO, and it came supplied with two Checkmate magazines. 100 rounds later, the mags have been good to go so far, BUT......

I've read and heard some unflattering things about Checkmate.

Are they decent? If not, what would you replace them with?

I run Kimber mags in my Kimbers, and have had zero issues with them, even though I have been assured by many that these, too, are junk mags.

Opinions?
    Checkmates are excellent magazines 99% of the time, they're a supplier for many of the gunmakers and "magazine producers." Most manufactures do not produce their own magazines.
    Fizban likes this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Mag problems are usually in the follower - My kimber is a nice gun, but the mags leave something to be desired. They work fine, and that is all that really matters.

Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    Checkmates are excellent magazines 99% of the time, they're a supplier for many of the gunmakers and "magazine producers." Most manufactures do not produce their own magazines.
    this ^ ^ ^

I use Checkmate and Novak... never any problems
    Think like a man of action - Act like a man of thought

I have no personal experience with them, but my best friend orderered several. They sent him the wrong mags, and to correct the problem they let him keep the first mags and sent him the correct ones. That is some good customer service if you ask me.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Links