How many of you have S&W revovler and have disabled the lock?

This is a discussion on How many of you have S&W revovler and have disabled the lock? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok guys just as the topic says. How many of you own newer Smiths and have disabled the lock and maybe even plugged the hole. ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree66Likes

Thread: How many of you have S&W revovler and have disabled the lock?

Distinguished Member Array Eric357's Avatar

Ok guys just as the topic says. How many of you own newer Smiths and have disabled the lock and maybe even plugged the hole. The reason I ask is that I have read a few places that the fit , finish, and mechanics on the newer Smiths are great they just have the lock. I've seen a few videos where people show how to disable the lock and seen you can get plugs for about $30. A used 2 inch 686 for $499 caught my eye but it does have the lock.Currently only revolvers I really have experiences with are my Rugers and a Taurus I use to have. My wife's Taurus I haven't even had out in over 3 years.

I do not have S&W revolvers that have the lock.

Everyone I own was made prior to the Hillary lock.

I like the quality of the pre-lock guns.

Disabling the lock is not difficult.
    Eric357, msgt/ret, OD* and 3 others like this.
    "When the people fear the government there is tyranny. When the government fears the people there is liberty". T. Jefferson

II Timothy 1:7 God has not given us the spirit of fear, but of power, love and a sound mind.

I have done it to mine without plugging the hole. Disabling the thing is just a matter of opening it up and removing a little flag like piece.

There are a couple of good reasons not to do this, foremost being what could be made of it in court in the unfortunate event you were there to defend a self defense use of the gun. I think a better idea is to hold out for a pre-lock version.

On another note, I have only heard of lock malfunctions happening with S&W revolvers. The designs found on Taurus revolvers and the Ruger LCR have not been a problem to my knowledge.

Pro
    I'm also interested in hearing about this. I only own one S&W revolver, a j-frame I bought new in '92...so no lock.
    Eric357 likes this.
    Minimum government, maximum freedom.

NRA - Member
    GOAL - Member

Distinguished Member Array Eric357's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    I have done it to mine without plugging the hole. Disabling the thing is just a matter of opening it up and removing a little flag like piece.

There are a couple of good reasons not to do this, foremost being what could be made of it in court in the unfortunate event you were there to defend a self defense use of the gun. I think a better idea is to hold out for a pre-lock version.

On another note, I have only heard of lock malfunctions happening with S&W revolvers. The designs found on Taurus revolvers and the Ruger LCR have not been a problem to my knowledge.
    I guess I didn't consider that since it isn't really a safety.

I sold all the guns that lock for no locks .. The bersa for a walter the locking 638 bodygaurd for a 49 bodygaurd etc ..

I dont want any chance of isseus .. You know old mister murphy love this kind of stuff .. Never mind the old " he made the gun less safe more leathly " sure that may never happen but still. .Also this may void the warrenty not sure ..

Me I will never buy a lock model s&w more so as it is shamfull and is a reminder that they gave in ... Unless the gun is for plinking or was nevermad no lock I wont get it .. I have seen no lock 686 for 575 and 540 otd in great condation.. Plus no MIM on some of the older guns ...

I just dont want to deal with it ..

Also know I think smith is slowy switiching to no lock gun .. The 351c and 642 for example are new made and no lock
    FlaRon likes this.
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

I have owned a few S&W revolvers with the internal lock including a 5" and an 8 3/8" S&W 460 magnum. I never had one lock up on me. I still have a key on my key ring just in case, but I haven't had to use it.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    There are a couple of good reasons not to do this, foremost being what could be made of it in court in the unfortunate event you were there to defend a self defense use of the gun.
    How could disabling the lock negatively affect you in court with a self defense plea? Now if a child got hold of a revolver that had a disabled lock, was loaded, and managed to hurt someone, I could see how that might be viewed negatively.

Personally, I won't buy a revolver with the lock. I shop used.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." Alexander Hamilton

Distinguished Life Member NRA
    2AF
    Maryland Shall Issue
    Handgunlaw.us Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Eric357 View Post
    I guess I didn't consider that since it isn't really a safety.
    And I believe I could articulate that well enough in court to convince that I have a padlock that will accomplish the same job the lock does. Let's hope I never have to.
    Eric357 likes this.

I have a couple J-frames with the lock and zero problems with them. One is a scandium frame and 38plus p are quite a jolt to that frame and zero problems. So for me I dont worry about it if a Smith has the internal lock. If the lock was such a problem Smith would have dropped it a long time ago.
    AZJD1968 and RebelSoul like this.
    Current collection: Too many according to the wife...

VIP Member
    I just ignore the ones with locks; there are plenty of classics that never had a lock available instead.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by FlaRon View Post
    Everyone I own was made prior to the Hillary lock.
    I must be out of the loop, I didn't know internal locks had become manditory.

I currently have one J frame with a lock.. a 638. All the rest of mine are pre-lock. SW makes runs of the 640/642/442 without the lock as new guns. I bought the 638 with the lock as I couldn't find a SS version that I could wear get grundgy w/o the lock. I have quite a few early 1950s J frames that are collectables I don't want to beat those up. I have also owned several others with locks but sold. (not because of the lock) SW 500, SW 686 3" Talo, SW Pro series 60 3", SW 342PD. I have never had a gun lock up and I shoot weekly for sure every 2 weeks. I am not fond of them. They are ugly and really useless IMO. But it never stopped me from buying if it was something I wanted.

I've removed one or two and plugged them, and was quite satisfied with the plugs. Currently I have older Smiths, so it's not an issue either way. It's a matter of opinion, largely, as I have heard so little about *actual* problems with the lock that I wouldn't let it be the deciding factor in gun selection. Just an assumption on my part, but I doubt that the key lock malfunctions much--if any--more than the regular lockwork. In other words, yes it's possible, but I wouldn't worry about it.

Although I don't like what the lock "stands for" politically, I'll note that I routinely use unleaded gasoline, even with ethanol added, and I wear seatbelts and don't deactivate airbags. I remember my father's irritation many years ago as all those measures were foisted onto the public by know-it-alls in D.C. :-)
    pgrass101 and wmhawth like this.

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    Even though I don't meet the criteria to post because I haven't disabled the lock, please allow me to share my thoughts.
    I own a 642 with a lock and have shot quite a few rounds through it without an issue. I have decided that I would leave it like it is until it gives me a problem. When it does I will disable it, then post back here to tell the story.
    Stop whining and go do something that makes a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links