How confident are you all with a .380 EDC?

This is a discussion on How confident are you all with a .380 EDC? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I edc a shield .40, I also own a bodyguard .380. I almost never carry the bodyguard tho because I'm just not super confident in ...

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree136Likes

Thread: How confident are you all with a .380 EDC?

How confident are you all with a .380 EDC?

I edc a shield .40, I also own a bodyguard .380. I almost never carry the bodyguard tho because I'm just not super confident in the ability to hit and put the BG's down with it for two reasons, 1. The .380 round is like half the size in grains as my .40 2. Is that the bodyguard is hard to shoot accurately past like 15 feet. I would love to carry the bodyguard more because it is so convenient though so what do I do?
    "I'd rather die a lion than live like a sheep."
    "The first step to winning a gun fight is having a gun on you."

2. Remove Ads

I've had an LCP for sometime now and I started out carrying it when I got my permit. Since I've acquired a few other guns, I never carry it anymore. Recently, I sold the LCP to fund a Shield 40. I may grab up another small 380 in the future just to have one, but for right now, I let it go. Currently, my Shield 9mm and my G26 split carry time but the Shield gets carried the most.
    Kennydale likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by OO7 View Post
    I edc a shield .40, I also own a bodyguard .380. I almost never carry the bodyguard tho because I'm just not super confident in the ability to hit and put the BG's down with it for two reasons, 1. The .380 round is like half the size in grains as my .40 2. Is that the bodyguard is hard to shoot accurately past like 15 feet. I would love to carry the bodyguard more because it is so convenient though so what do I do?
    carry the Bodyguard .380 and hope you don't need it?
    OD* likes this.
    "I plan ahead. That way, I don't have to do anything right now!"

While I don't carry it, my wife carry's a Thunder .380. She shoots it well, is accurate and comfortable with it. I would be good with carrying it myself IF it was my only option. I prefer 9mm or more myself and currently carry a Glock 30. If I was in yours shoes, I would carry both with the Bodyguard in a pocket or on my ankle. As a BUG it would probably be put into service at under 15' anyway.
    firerat and bigpapa like this.

I have owned several different .380's in the past. They are great for target practice, but I don't recommend .380 for SD. Some of the SD .380 rounds seem to be effective, but the ammo costs about the same as .40 and 9mm. I don't recommend going below 38 special for SD.
    5lima30ret and bigpapa like this.

I carry a Kahr CW380 during the week when my office wardrobe doesn't work as well with larger P9. I am confident it will handle 99.9% of the possible situations I could face. I do shoot it well though so that is a big part of it. As for ammo, I'm use the Precision One JHPs from Shootingthebull410's ammo quest videos. When I can wear more casual clothes, I bump up to the P9 and if I carry the CW380, it is as a BUG in my pocket.
    spclopr8tr and EdJean like this.
    Kahr CW380, Kahr P9, Walther P99AS

I do not own a .380, but if I were you I would continue to carry the shield.
    OD* likes this.

Distinguished Member
    I bought an LCP recently for a few very specific purposes: 1) to carry while I am running, at the gym (I carry my 9mm EDC going to and from the gym) or out doing other physical activity that I find much more difficult with a 9mm; 2) as a BUG I can pocket carry; and 3) as an option when I need deep concealment and none of my other guns fits the bill. The LCP is my primary weapon probably less than 5% of the time, but it fills the bill when nothing else will.

As we always say, guns are tools. Select the appropriate tool for the appropriate job.
    sliderbk, WHEC724, Oreste and 4 others like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RickyD View Post
    ... The LCP is my primary weapon probably less than 5% of the time, but it fills the bill when nothing else will.

As we always say, guns are tools. Select the appropriate tool for the appropriate job.
    This statement goes for me too. I probably carry .45acp 70% of the time and .38spl the other 25%.
    Goldy49 likes this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    The only reasons I don't have a .380 is I don't need to spend money on another handgun (at the moment) and I don't need another caliber to reload. SD reasons have nothing to do with me not having one. There is a time and place for the .380.
    BamaT, DrJekell and Oreste like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Im not so concerned with the .380, as concerns an effective self defense round. I AM much more concerned about the lack of capacity of rounds.

Its a trade off. Small pocket gun, lack of capacity.

I will say, though, there have been a time or two when I looked at my surroundings, and said to myself "Man. I should have brought a bigger gun".

Btw, my primary carry guns are a G 19, and J frame 38 spec. But, there are times for all three, or for just the .380s.

I have actually put a lot of rounds through my .380s. 1. To ensure that I could trust them. 2. To find out the max range I could reliably hit at. The answer to #2 is: Not that far.

Which brings up the point of "effective range" of various weapons. Maybe I have it all wrong, but for a pocket gun I dont expect great effective ranges.

I look at them as something for up close use. So close that aiming probably wont come into the picture.

I carry an LCP and a Kimber Solo 9mm. The LCP is my EDC nearly 85-90%. It is plenty accurate up close and as self defense only, for which it was designed. The main reason is that it is just damn comfortable and concealable just about anywhere you want to conceal. I would prefer to carry the SOLO 100% but even though it is small enough it still for me has a weight issue. I have never carried before and only since last August so any extra bulk and weight is uncomfortable to me after a while. The LCP is so light I never notice it is there for the most part. As said before, it is a tool and I choose each based on weather and clothing. My only thoughts are that in winter with heavy clothing the .380 will loose penetration if the BG has heavy clothing so I use FMJ instead of hollow points in winter for the .380. However, in winter it is the 9mm SOLO I rely most on in my coat pocket where it becomes as comfortable as the LCP.
    surefire7 likes this.

A .380 is better than a .25 or a rimfire.
    DingBat, Taurahe, BamaT and 2 others like this.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

Distinguished Member Array svgheartland's Avatar
    Like Ianthin, my wife carries a Bersa in 380. She's comfortable with it so I leave it at that. I've divested myself of the caliber and don't go smaller than a 38 snub. When I combined my lack of confidence in the caliber with the finicky nature of small auto's, that was that. The 638 pocket carries very nicely and I've never looked back on the decision. I only look back at the aggravation as I really tried to get along w/380 auto's and wonder why I bothered. I'm not flaming you, please be sure that that is not my intent. It was a process that I went through and I can't tell you how happy I was when I stopped pounding my head on the 380 wall. A snub is a thing of joy. And given my daily existence, the 38 fits many of my day to day needs. I live in the sticks so life is a bit less complex in probabilities. Possums and skunks are more likely than muggers and zombies. And a final note on a snub, with practice you can become surprisingly accurate at 25 yards. Then you can graduate to a SS snub in 357 and never wonder if you're packing enough punch.

Sorry, I'll step of the soap box. And that Shield in 40..... keep totin that one. Good stuff there.
    Recon1342 likes this.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Senior Member Array palmcoaster's Avatar
    I try to sometimes I really do. I have the G42 and on hot days(florida) its nice and is a true t shirt carry pistol. But......... I always feel underpowered and go back to bigger caliber(G27,G30S,XDS) carries and a cover shirt
    bigpapa likes this.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Links