Shield wall!

This is a discussion on Shield wall! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; That won't make sense to anyone who doesn't watch Vikings Color me a Shield fan, too. I was making half my loop today and looking ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Shield wall!

Shield wall!

That won't make sense to anyone who doesn't watch Vikings

Color me a Shield fan, too.
    I was making half my loop today and looking at some fine firearms. And as much as I tried to talk myself into an XDS in .45, I couldn't. What a crappy trigger. And I've never been a fan of the XD line's aggressive grips. Seems like they are trying to make up for poor design. I can't imagine that would be a fun range pistol.
    Then I picked up the M&P Shield. And I held it. I held it for probably twenty minutes, dry firing 4-5 times. I couldn't put it down. And the trigger is short and smooth... with what I would call a nice clean break. Leaps and bounds over the XDS trigger... realizing that I'm a 1911 enthusiast.

So I bought it. I've been meaning to get a different grab and go gun. Currently I had been grabbing my LCR in a Remora for quick protection, but I can't say I haven't wanted a couple more rounds in the pistol and the ease of carrying a spare mag in my pocket. And I love the thumb safety on the Shield. I know it's not for everybody, but it's for me.

I got home and headed out back with some target American Eagle 115gr and Aquila 124gr; and some Hornady 147gr XTP hollow points. And 100 rnds later I am quite pleased. No problems whatsoever. It comes up and the sights are right there. Very manageable recoil, though the Hornady did produce noticeably more muzzle flip. Comfortable in the hand though.
    I shot some fast and some slow from 10 yds standing. And the target I covered was actually better than the one I took a pic of, no extreme flyers. Oddly, most of my bullseyes came with the shorter mag without the extension. I must be gripping the pistol tighter or something. Maybe concentrating more because I'm only holding it with three fingers. I'll shoot it some more and decide if I need to move a sight. I haven't looked closely enough at it to see if the sights were perfectly centered or not. It's probably me just getting used to it.
    It's a keeper.
    Attached Images
    gottabkiddin and Bad Bob like this.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array squid86's Avatar
    not what i was expecting from the title. i thought this was gonna be a thread about a literal wall thats a shield. i was thinking yeah just take one side of the drywall off and line the wall with phone books....

lol. well, glad you found a gun that fits you good.
    USN Veteran
    "A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

Glad you like it! Like you, I have an LCR as my "grab and go" but since getting a Shield the S&W usually wins out when it's time to pick!

Oh, and I don't watch Vikings but am very familiar with the term "shield wall"...
    British by birth. American by choice.

Distinguished Member Array svgheartland's Avatar
    I ran a Shield 40 for maybe 6 months and had very good experience (but I ended up going back to a 45 carry). But to your point, I also better accuracy with a short mag. My little finger is happy to go off and entertain itself with the appropriate grip. When I introduced the extended mag the little finger suddenly got full of itself and decided that it had a role to play and typically that role was to throw my aim a tad.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Thanks guys.
    And glad to hear I'm not alone with that pinky thing.

The Shield is a awesome carry pistol; loved mine since the day I picked it up.. Congrats on a fine choice.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Congrats! Enjoy, I love mine.

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    Handled my first Shield a couple of weeks back, must say I was much Impressed.

The Viking series is also very impressive, some of the best cinematography I have ever seen combined with a decent story line great cast a true joy to watch!

Congrats on the shield

If you like "Vikings", read Bernard Cornwells Saxon Chronicles books. Historical fiction about that time from a more English perspective.

The Shield is a great gun. My go-to CCW when concealment is a concern.

Distinguished Member Array Tundra5.7's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by svgheartland View Post
    I ran a Shield 40 for maybe 6 months and had very good experience (but I ended up going back to a 45 carry). But to your point, I also better accuracy with a short mag. My little finger is happy to go off and entertain itself with the appropriate grip. When I introduced the extended mag the little finger suddenly got full of itself and decided that it had a role to play and typically that role was to throw my aim a tad.
    Ran a Shield 40 S&W for about 30 rounds tonight and had to really concentrate on not putting any pressure on the grip with my little finger. As long as I did that the Shield was very accurate.
    "Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

This just goes to show you that guns are just a matter of opinion and preference. I owned a shield and the only thing I didn't like was the trigger, and I much preferred the trigger on he the xds. And now I carry a pps which to me has the best trigger of most. Glad you like your shield, keep shooting!
    PAcanis likes this.

I own a Shield 9 mm and an XDS .45,my XDS 45 will shoot circles around my shield.I also prefer the XDS triggers reset.On top of that I find the XDs a better design ,the Shield is more difficult to field strip with the little lever you have to flip and the striker is much more difficult to remove and reassemble for general cleaning and maintainance.Also I think the shields safety is poorly thought out ,fortunately I am right handed.

Quote Originally Posted by walkbyfaith09 View Post
    This just goes to show you that guns are just a matter of opinion and preference. I owned a shield and the only thing I didn't like was the trigger, and I much preferred the trigger on he the xds. And now I carry a pps which to me has the best trigger of most. Glad you like your shield, keep shooting!
    Ain't that the truth.
    I also find that given a counter filled with 1911's, on the whole I prefer the trigger pull of the SA's over Colt.

I can't wait to put some more rounds through it today and see how I do at some distance.

Congrats on the shield. My EDC is a shield 9mm and I love it. Going on 500 rounds with no problems.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links