Possible hand surgery revolver or stick with G26?

This is a discussion on Possible hand surgery revolver or stick with G26? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm left handed. It's possible that I might have to have surgery on my left hand-possible carpal tunnel. I currently have a G26 and a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Possible hand surgery revolver or stick with G26?

I'm left handed. It's possible that I might have to have surgery on my left hand-possible carpal tunnel. I currently have a G26 and a Nano. The IWB holster for the G26 I can flip around but I've never used my right hand for firing a pistol. So I'm looking at 4-6 weeks that it might be almost impossible to use my left hand to draw. Now I have an older model...don't know what model; S&W Chief's Airweight 38 special. However on the left side of the cylinder it has a pry mark on it.

Would I be better off finding a used revolver since mine might not be save to use? It's never been fired by me; it was one of the pistols my father left to me. It's been cleaned I don't know anything about it. I have ammo for it though .

My reasoning is that the revolver would be easier to use with my right hand and it actually fits in my hand very well. Sorry if I'm rambling I really don't want to have this surgery; never had one and don't want one but I'm only 37 so I'm still young lol.

Thanks for any advice.

How do you like your Nano? The surgery is really nothing to be concerned about. The hardest part after surgery is flossing, wiping and drying.
    Kennydale and ShooterGranny like this.

A 26 recoils easier than a revolver. Won't be so hard on your hand after it mends.

Just an idea.
    ETXhiker likes this.

I had carpal tunnel surgery on my right hand last year. Two weeks after the surgery I was at the range with my son. We rented a Smith and Wesson 38 airweight revolver to try out. Shooting standard loads I made it through 10 rounds and then had to let my son finish the box. The recoil was killing me. You may not have that issue but you will want to keep recoil in mind for the first month. Best wishes on your surgery if you have to have it.

VIP Member
    Time for some "off hand" shooting practice before surgery eh?

I think I would go with the revolver myself. A little safer if I were to fumble a bit.
    Taurahe and Bigsteve113 like this.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Distinguished Member
    As noted above, everything I have heard about the surgery indicates it isn't that bad - I haven't had it myself, but know others who have. You will be back and at 'em in no time.

Personally, I practice strong and weak hand shooting and I practice drawing with my pocket BUG using my off hand (I keep the BUG in my front left pocket). I am certainly much slower with my off hand, but I can make it work. Try to do some practice before the surgery to find something that works. It gives you a good excuse to spend a bunch of time at the range .

Good luck!

I actually forgot about the Nano; its holster isn't reversible but I could do cross body draw if need be. I'm just a wee bit nervous even though we won't even be doing the nerve test until sometime in May so it's still some time away but I want to be ready cause you never know. It also gives me an excuse to start carrying 1 in the chamber I guess.

A right handed holster for your G26 wouldn't be that expensive (if you don't like your flipped-around IWB), and you still have time practicing your draw & reholster, as well as one-handed (weak hand) shooting. Since it seems that you are probably most familiar with the G26 it should make the transition easier. Additionally, I would practice things like one-handed reloads (not difficult but slow) and clearing malfunctions (weak hand and possibly one-handed, although that can be a little harder).

As an aside (FWIW), I believe it is good to practice those things anyway. My feeling is that if I ever need to use my pistol it will most likely be under the worst conditions (just Murphy's law at work). So, better to practice now and never have to use than to be unprepared later. Just my $0.02.

The surgery should go well. I have doctor friends like to saythat if capal tunnel surgery does not ifx it, it wasn't carpal tunnel. You do not need a new holster. Put the holster on the right hip so the gun butt is forward. As you go to draw, rotate your right hand counter-clockwise and draw the gun. This is actually a pretty comfortable off hand draw.

I would chose a gun that points naturally in the off- hand. Pick a picture on the wall and before you point the gun close your eyes. Open your eyes. Where are the sights?
    Repeat the exercise until you find a gun that points easily. Give hour left hand a lot of time before shooting. You will master the off hand in a few sessions, less if you practice at home.

TRX
    There are several different surgical procedures. My wife had both hands done; recovery time was six weeks, and she needed it. Others seem to be much shorter.

Hers was one of the laparoscopic ones, and most of the pain and recovery seemed to be do to the "laparoscopic" part. Yes, there was only a half-inch incision. But the bruising from stretching the tiny incision open enough to work in there was substantial. She had similar problems with laparoscopic shoulder surgery.

As far as shooting... in my case, though I'm left-handed, I don't have a problem holding or shooting a pistol with either hand. But I'm left-eyed the way most people are right-handed; if I want to actually hit anything while shooting with my right hand, I have to use one of those awkward cross-eyed stances.

VIP Member
    I know nothing about this surgery, so take these thoughts for what they are worth. If you cannot draw with the left hand, would it be able to rack a slide? I messed up my shoulder a couple of years ago and I bought a 4" K frame to carry while on the mend. I could have gone with my J frames, but there is less mass to absorb the recoil and shooting one handed & off hand, recoil management is a bit of a factor. There was no way I could have racked the slide on any of my pistols. I could, however, manage reloads with the K frame. As to your S&W, have a gunsmith check it out to see if it is OK or needs a fix. Even if you don't carry it now, it would be fun to have in known working condition.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

S&W Chief's Airweight 38 special. However on the left side of the cylinder it has a pry mark on it.
    That sounds odd. Do you have a pic?

Wife just was released by Doctor from her carpal tunnel surgery last week, doing very well, you will be out of commission about a month, nothing to worry about.

Quote Originally Posted by BigJ.56 View Post
    How do you like your Nano? The surgery is really nothing to be concerned about. The hardest part after surgery is flossing, wiping and drying.
    Shoelaces can be a ....., too!
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

VIP Member
    Don't rush the healing process !

During your recovery devote your range time to weak-hand only. Live with that for now.....you'll enhance your skills and allow your strong hand to heal properly.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links