SW99

This is a discussion on SW99 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey guys, just got a SW99 40 S&W as part of a trade yesterday. Sent about 50 rounds through it including some lead handloads. Super ...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By Bigsteve113
  • 1 Post By Hopyard
  • 1 Post By USMCGrunt
  • 2 Post By oscar1

Thread: SW99

Senior Member Array Bigsteve113's Avatar

SW99

Hey guys, just got a SW99 40 S&W as part of a trade yesterday. Sent about 50 rounds through it including some lead handloads. Super accurate and functioned perfectly with some HST's, 175 gr LSWC handloads, 180 gr American, and some very old Hydra Shoks. Unique lil piece. Has some dandy features that I never experienced before. Good trigger and very accurate. I was pleasantly surprised.

Any of you guys have any experience with this gun? I'd like to hear Y'alls opinions.
    “Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.”

― Heraclitus

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array BurgerBoy's Avatar
    Vietnam Veteran - 1966-1970 USASA
    Carry Pistol. Glock 23, .40 Cal.
    Carry Pistol. Glock 19, 9mm.
    Give me a minute before I post again.

No experience with it but it sounds sweet.
    NRA Member
    GOA Member
    US Army Vet

Distinguished Member Array Tundra5.7's Avatar
    Yep, we need some pics!
    "Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

Distinguished Member Array Wunderneun's Avatar
    It's a Walther P99. The frame is made by Walther and the slide and barrel is made by S&W. It's a licensed copy and is discontinued.
    Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation
    Devastation to your doorstep in 30 Minutes or Less. Minuteman III--- SAC WILL BE BACK!http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic80391_2.gif

I like all kinds of foreign guns. Walther, SIG-Sauer, and H&K.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigsteve113 View Post
    Hey guys, just got a SW99 40 S&W as part of a trade yesterday. Sent about 50 rounds through it including some lead handloads. Super accurate and functioned perfectly with some HST's, 175 gr LSWC handloads, 180 gr American, and some very old Hydra Shoks. Unique lil piece. Has some dandy features that I never experienced before. Good trigger and very accurate. I was pleasantly surprised.

Any of you guys have any experience with this gun? I'd like to hear Y'alls opinions.
    I have that in the compact version; 3 1/2 inch barrel. I'm not quite as enthusiastic about it as you are about yours, but I do agree that it has some
    interesting and nice features which are hard to find on others. What I like-- the DA/SA trigger; the decocking mechanism; the fact that just an easy
    and very short tug on the slide will cock it; the red slightly protruding striker when it is in SA mode.

On the downside: Either I don't shoot mine well (likely as I'm too sensitive to its muzzle tilt) or for some reason mine isn't all that accurate. I think it is a tad
    on the thick side--too much so for IWB. I've had the recoil spring-guide rod assembly break, and it took almost 9 months to get it replaced. The replacement
    seems much more stout than the original, but it has left me a tad concerned about reliability.

Nonetheless, it is my bedside gun.

FWIW, It has worked well with every .40 I've tried-- from an odd ball 125 grain critter long discontinued, to 135 gr; 165; and the 180s. It has functioned with
    the funky MagSafe super duper expensive "SD" ammo. It has fed solid and hollow point and frangible. Somehow, it even once fed one in 180 degrees
    backward. As they say, anything that can go wrong will.

Enjoy!!!!
    Bigsteve113 likes this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

I had one in .45 ACP. I was less than impressed with it. The trigger was springy/creepy, the magazine release abraded against my trigger finger, often the slide would fail to lock open after the last round and the accuracy was sub-par compared to my other .45 ACP pistols. It went down the road and the only regret I have about getting rid of it was that it's fairly uncommon to come across these days and there may be some future collectors value to it. Other than that, I don't miss it at all.
    Bigsteve113 likes this.

Not sure about the SW version of the P99, but most people really like the P99 platform, myself included. I had a P99c as and really liked it alot. It was very reliable and quite accurate, the only reason I sold it off was to assist in funding an H&K. Walther P99's are a difficult find in Mass, so I was able to get top dollar for it.
    Bigsteve113 and Pukindog12 like this.

Links