Needs some input for a .357

This is a discussion on Needs some input for a .357 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I'm looking at a .357 (Which will undoubtedly be lost on my next fishing trip) and trying to decide between an SP101 and an ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree79Likes

Thread: Needs some input for a .357

So I'm looking at a .357 (Which will undoubtedly be lost on my next fishing trip) and trying to decide between an SP101 and an LCR.

Pro's/ Con's?

This would be my first wheel gun.
    StormRhydr likes this.

I have owned a few Smith's as well as Ruger's.. what I will say about them is that the Smith [generally] have a nicer trigger out of the box and the Ruger's, from an ergo sense- have always felt better in my hand. I consider them both top tier revolver companies and would not hesitate to buy the SP101. I currently own a SP101 3" in 357... it has been a flawless handgun. Good luck
    BamaT and Bad Bob like this.
    Think like a man of action - Act like a man of thought

I'm looking for my first revolver as well. I have shot them, but I own several 1911's and love the weight and ergonomics.
    I was thinking about an S&W 686. But not sure. Looking for maybe a 3 or 4 inch barrel.

Which SP? DAO or hammer ? What barrel size ?

Have you looked at the LCRX? It is only 38 but has no lock and has a hammer ..

The LCR is a pocket gun the SP is not

I own a couple SP dao and longer size ones .. They are heavy beast but that means they will surive anything and are comffy to shoot heavy heavy stuff in them

Really are you looking for a woods guns or a carry gun .. If carry Pocket or ???

The sp is a you need a good belt and holster gun .. But I like to shoot mine very soft due to the weight
    BamaT likes this.
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Quote Originally Posted by superdamian11 View Post
    I'm looking for my first revolver as well. I have shot them, but I own several 1911's and love the weight and ergonomics.
    I was thinking about an S&W 686. But not sure. Looking for maybe a 3 or 4 inch barrel.
    The 686 is a hefty well made 357.. its always seemed a little big in my hands but I kick myself from not buying a snub version that I saw at a local gun shop many years ago. They used to call the 686 the distinguished combat magnum. I believe that name suits it well.
    RebelSoul and Bad Bob like this.
    Think like a man of action - Act like a man of thought

The SP is a little tougher but is pretty heavy. It's an all steel.

The LCR is light and tiny but some say harder to shoot better because of the lightweight.

I will add that the 640 pro and 686 are both good choice too .. But to find the no lock version is not easy esp the 686 .. But that is a sweet gun the 686
    BamaT and Bad Bob like this.
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Quote Originally Posted by WrongRecroom View Post
    Which SP? DAO or hammer ? What barrel size ?

Have you looked at the LCRX? It is only 38 but has no lock and has a hammer ..

The LCR is a pocket gun the SP is not

I own a couple SP dao and longer size ones .. They are heavy beast but that means they will surive anything and are comffy to shoot heavy heavy stuff in them

Really are you looking for a woods guns or a carry gun .. If carry Pocket or ???

The sp is a you need a good belt and holster gun .. But I like to shoot mine very soft due to the weight

I have a G20sf for my "Woods" gun. I was thinking about 3" for the barrel. I like the idea of a hammer for second strike capability (Yeah I know I roll my eyes too since my Glocks don't have that).

Not sure if I'd ever carry it or not since I have a bunch of EDC firearms already...I mean I used to, since the boating accident and all.
    WrongRecroom, bigpapa and Bad Bob like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Strmwatch View Post
    I have a G20sf for my "Woods" gun. I was thinking about 3" for the barrel. I like the idea of a hammer for second strike capability (Yeah I know I roll my eyes too since my Glocks don't have that).

Not sure if I'd ever carry it or not since I have a bunch of EDC firearms already...I mean I used to, since the boating accident and all.
    If this is your first 357 and all and not to be carried I say a hammer model sp or a sercuty six and the like ...
    BamaT and 5lima30ret like this.

Sp101, 3 inch, 357 mag has some recoil, but manageable. The 4 inch is very nice.
    A note of interest. My gp100, 3 inch, in 357 is my wife's favorite of all, especially with 38 +p. Heavy, but shoots well.
    We are both over retirement age, so that might make a difference.
    Locks or no locks, wood grips or rubber! Find what you feel good about and shoot well, then have a great fishing trip. TKH
    BamaT, RebelSoul and Bad Bob like this.

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Strmwatch View Post
    So I'm looking at a .357 (Which will undoubtedly be lost on my next fishing trip) and trying to decide between an SP101 and an LCR.

Pro's/ Con's?
    This would be my first wheel gun.
    You didn't say whether it was primarily for HD/range or CCW. Either could would work well depending on its intended purpose. I will say with certainty that the SP-101 will sink much faster than the LCR during a fishing/boating mishap Good luck!
    WrongRecroom and BigJ.56 like this.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

pix510042755.jpg

Anyone familiar with this GP100?

Quote Originally Posted by superdamian11 View Post
    pix510042755.jpg

Anyone familiar with this GP100?

One of the Talon one is it not ... Correct I think it is maybe the new comp model ... They are good guns just pig but heavy ( I know I have handled a few )
    superdamian11 likes this.

I have not fired an LCR but I have not heard of any quality issues with them.

Assuming they are of equal quality what it is going to come down to is do you want more carry comfort or more shooting comfort? The heavier gun is going to give you less felt recoil but more carry weight. If it is heavy enough that you don't carry it, what good is it?
    If you go with the lighter model it is more comfortable to carry but may not be as much fun to practice with shooting full power loads. This may cause some people to not maintain proficiency or to simply not carry it because they are not confident in their abilities with it.

As far as wheel guns go I carry a four inch S&W 681. It is not heavy enough to be burden (for me) but is heavy enough that even full magnum loads are fun to shoot.
    5lima30ret likes this.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

A 3 inch sp101 is a very shootable gun. I love shooting mine. I haven't shot the LCR but did hold one last week. Man was it light. Not sure if I would want to fire to many magnum loads through it unless they were really watered down. But that's just my opinion. But then again it might be fun.
    5lima30ret and FlaRon like this.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links