Help with Barrel Length Revolver vs Pistol

This is a discussion on Help with Barrel Length Revolver vs Pistol within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am wondering if someone could explain barrel length, Revolvers measure the barrel only not from the base of the case like pistols ( semi-autos). ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Hatrix
  • 2 Post By LimaCharlie

Thread: Help with Barrel Length Revolver vs Pistol

I am wondering if someone could explain barrel length, Revolvers measure the barrel only not from the base of the case like pistols ( semi-autos).

When ballistics are stated in regards to barrel length is this the same for revolver and pistols are the measurements the same.

Example if a 2" barrel will give a certain caliber and bullet weight 1,000 fps is that measurement the length of barrel ahead of the bullet.

Ruger LCR has a 1 7/8" barrel, Ruger LCP has a 2.75" barrel but the LCP barrel ahead of the bullet is much less than barrel length.

What is your thoughts?

This just made my head hurt. If they say the barrel is 3in then I'm taking their word for it!

Seriously though I think barrel length on revolvers is measured from "the hole the projectile enters"(breech?) in front of the cylinder. So depending on the revolvers design, a shorter barrel could appear longer than a longer barrel of a different design.

And yes "The Hole The Projectile Enters" is a highly Scientific, yet seldom used term... I looked it up, honest!
    Thumper and StormRhydr like this.

Master of the Tactical Back Flip
    Internet Gun Expert

VIP Member
    =Hatrix;3233880

And yes "The Hole The Projectile Enters" is a highly Scientific, yet seldom used term... I looked it up, honest!
    I'm going to go write that down!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

There are pistol barrels measured from the breech to the tip of the barrel. There are revolver barrels measured from the start of the forcing cone to the tip of the barrel. Then there are test barrels which is a captured locked barrel system to test ballistics. This website has examples: H-S PRECISION - BALLISTIC test BARRELS & EQUIPMENT of a test barrel. The ballistics from a test barrel, pistol barrel, and revolver barrel can be very different. The test barrel is not allowed to move and all energy goes out the end of the barrel. The semi-auto pistol uses some of the gas to work the slide. The revolver allows gas to expel between the cylinder and the forcing cone. Some ammo manufacturers test the ballistics in real world guns and list it like Buffalo Bore does.
    StormRhydr and marcclarke like this.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

Thanks LimaCharlie,

I always have wondered about barrel length and ballistics, I will look at the Buffalo Bore ammo. thanks for the link.

Sponsored Links