New Carry, striker fired or small 1911?

This is a discussion on New Carry, striker fired or small 1911? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a dilemma I hope you all can help me with. I was a member here quite a while ago when I thought I ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: New Carry, striker fired or small 1911?

New Carry, striker fired or small 1911?

I have a dilemma I hope you all can help me with.

I was a member here quite a while ago when I thought I might end up in Indiana or Kentucky with my job, however I ended up staying in Illinois, which made anything to do with concealed carry a moot point. As many of you are aware, Illinois recently got a CC bill passed. Now it is time to find the right cc pistol.

I'm married with five kids. Money is not flowing like a river through here, so I need to make purchases count. I would ideally like to have the same pistol as my wife so the manual of arms is the same, share magazines, only one type of ammo to buy, you get the idea. She is strong enough to handle any slide on an automatic, but I am concerned with her being able to handle decent time splits for follow up shots with a sub compact 40 caliber. For that reason, I might consider 9mm more strongly.

I carried an XD40 service while serving as an auxiliary police officer when I was single. Loved the gun, shot it very well. So, my first thought was to go with an XD subcompact in 40 or 9. However, they are fairly expensive when figuring in two pistols.

My next thought was to go with an Armscor Officer's 1911 in 9mm, heavy gun but less recoil that way. However, I'm a bit concerned with thinking about carrying a heavy gun like that all the time. It might get old real quick. I love the 1911 platform though. Absolutely love it, but man is an all steel gun going to get heavy.

I've owned a Taurus Mil Pro in 9, 40, and 45 and I enjoyed all of them. I have an opportunity to buy an PT111 G2 with about five rounds through it for $300. That would leave it easier to buy another exact same pistol very soon. Double stack might be a bit harder to conceal, but 9mm is easy to shoot too. I am leery of buying one though, as holster options seem quite limited.

I'm not a huge fan of the articulated trigger S&W has on the shields, but I'm going to hopefully get to mess with one a bit more tomorrow, so we will see what comes of it.

So there you have it, all my ideas out in the open. I'm very open to ideas, criticism, feedback, etc. Thanks!
    gatorbait51 likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Glock 19. That is all!!!
    gatorbait51 and Tundra5.7 like this.

Nothing wrong with the PT. You'll get the folks that don't like Taurus, but I've had pretty good luck with them, although some of their newer revolvers aren't finished as well as they should be.

My wife gave me a Ruger SR9c, that I probably wouldn't have gotten for myself, but after shooting it and carrying it, I really was impressed. You can get them here for around $450. Very reliable, accurate, and fun to shoot. Has more of a "Glock-like" trigger, feels more single action than the long DAO types. (in fact, internally, it's nearly identical to the Glock design)

Love the 1911's, but even the "Officers" models are HEAVY with an all steel frame.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Yeah, I'm not going to be carrying a Glock 19. I would carry a baby Glock, but the narrow measurement from the bottom of the slide to the bottom of the grip curve/non existent beaver tail ends in bloody hands for me. Too big of mitts for any of them. However, I haven't shot them in a while, so maybe they've gotten better. I don't have that problem with XDs though, so I don't think it's me.....
    gatorbait51 likes this.

You can add beavertails to a glock or buy a gen 4... Bevertail kits cost like 30 bucks and work for two guns ...Just saying

plus you can buy LEO trade in glok 23 and 27 for cheep if you look like 400 bucks or so a pop and they often have night sigts ...
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    I am not a lawyer .. Just a dog typing on the internet ..Spelling media apparatus male portatili. Malo me non reprehendo
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

I should ask how does your wife carry and what does she shoot ?
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    I am not a lawyer .. Just a dog typing on the internet ..Spelling media apparatus male portatili. Malo me non reprehendo
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Somewhere in the 48 contiguous states of the USA.
    Consider a Bersa BP9CC. I recently acquired one for $339 and have been quite pleased with it. Thin, reasonably light. Good ergonomics, comes with two magazines.
    I have put 350 flawless rounds through it so far. It might fit your needs.

WR, neither of us carry yet. I've only carried on duty, never concealed. I'm not sure if I can get her to carry IWB, it may end up being purse carry, as much as I would hate it. I never considered the police trade in stuff. There might be some deals to be had there. Good idea.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

1911. Every time in my opinion. A good carry setup will minimize weight issues.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian.Evans View Post
    WR, neither of us carry yet. I've only carried on duty, never concealed. I'm not sure if I can get her to carry IWB, it may end up being purse carry, as much as I would hate it. I never considered the police trade in stuff. There might be some deals to be had there. Good idea.
    If purse carry I almost feel better to carry a wheel gun .. Or at least use a gun purse ... IWB is a tricky thing as you have to wear often a size or two larger ditto a belt for it to work ( why I dont I look scary with two size large pants on ... )

Police trade in comes and goes I have seen a lot of the full size 40 cals out there but less of the compact and sub compacts .. Note that some are gen 2 and some are gen 3 or 4 .. Some people like the 2 over 3s I like 3s + more .. Something to thing about ...

Have you looked at say the s&w 3 gens ? Older guns but very well built and heavy and can get them halfway cheep if you dont mind them a bit beat up .. They also make a single stack model that is called a ladysmith ...

Cost is thorwing me on combo guns ... I still like either m&p or glock as mags are cheep and the gun are pretty soft shooting to me
    gatorbait51 likes this.

https://www.corneredcat.com/ is someting to look over for the ladies shooter

Holsters
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by NewportReds View Post
    1911. Every time in my opinion. A good carry setup will minimize weight issues.
    And that's what I've thought as well, but heavy is still heavy, no matter how you're suspending it. But man, do I want another 1911 something fierce. Love the platform.
    gatorbait51 and NewportReds like this.

VIP Member
    Weight is relative. I carry Governments and a Commander. So, Yes to a 1911. Yes to the Glocks. It is really , what can you afford , what you feel best with. I like the XDs Series of pistols as well . The Rock island 1911s are inexpensive but not cheap . G26 has been bandied about as a good carry gun .
    '
    You and your wife will settle on what works and we are all excited to have you here .
    NewportReds and OD* like this.
    EN MI VIDA AL MAL NO TEMERÉ, POR QUE EN MI CORAZÓN Y MIS DOS .38 SUPER COLT.

I'll second the Bersa BP9CC! Excellent firearm for a great price. The SCCY CPX-2 would be a decent option. Even cheaper than the Bersa but tons of great reviews on it.
    AnthonyC likes this.
    ”One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them.”
    ~Thomas Jefferson

"Carry your gun - it's a lighter burden than regret."
    ~Breda

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    Sig P320 may be an option. The registered part is the fire control unit, (trigger and housing), everything else is swappable. Grip size, length, slide length, calibers will convert from 9mm, .40, .357 Sig, .45; (when all are released).

The frame and magazines are compatible with the P250, so plenty are already on the market and available. The gun is getting very good initial reviews.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links