I REALLY like this RIA 1911....

This is a discussion on I REALLY like this RIA 1911.... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Let me preface this by saying that I am mostly a Glock guy and 1911's are generally at the bottom of my list. I've had ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree119Likes

Thread: I REALLY like this RIA 1911....

I REALLY like this RIA 1911....

Let me preface this by saying that I am mostly a Glock guy and 1911's are generally at the bottom of my list. I've had a lot of Glocks, Sigs, HKs, Berettas, and Springfields.

Out of all these, I like the Glocks for several reasons....ergos, trigger, internal safeties, interchangeability, weight, and capacity just to name a few.

I do not really like 1911's for a couple reasons. Price, reliability issues, weight, capacity, just to name a few.

However, I recently picked up a RIA compact for $400 and put about 500 rounds through it. I did not have ONE single malfunction of any kind, 25 of those rounds were federal JHP's. Now I've had Kimbers, colts, springfields, and Remington's. I have not had this quality of performance out of any of these. Every single one of those had a few malfunctions in the first 200rds.

Now the RIA has a little rougher finish, is kind of heavy, and could use a little trigger work. But I've never had this kind of reliability out of a 1911. Granted, I haven't had any of the $1500+ 1911's, but this gun was DAMN impressive for $400.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

2. Remove Ads

RIA makes a very nice gun for the money. Before I got my custom 1911, got it for a steal of a deal. I've had my eye on RIA for a while. I've always loved revolver, and hated semi auto's. But I got this full size, custom mut of a gun, and I love it more then even my beloved snub nose. I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, but the action is slick as ice, and the trigger is the best I've ever felt on any gun. Its heavy, but that doesn't bother me. Its thin, and it a freakin .45acp! I know if god forbid I have to use this thing, its 9 friends will get me out of any jam life throws at me:)
    Aceoky and gatorbait51 like this.

Wiggity--you have a great gun there. My Rock Island compact (CS) is my EDC. I have about 1000 rounds through it without a glitch. Just replace the recoil spring every 400 rounds or so. Never had any personal experience with their customer service--but I understand it is outstanding. And you have a lifetime warranty. Enjoy your Rock.

I love mine too;! It's hard to not love a RIA 1911 .45 ACP - they work , they're accurate , and the price is great:!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In Gibson v. Commonwealth, 237 Ky. 33, 34 S.W.2d 936 (1936), the High Court stated:  “[I]t is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs.   He does not have to.”

Quote Originally Posted by Wiggity View Post
    Let me preface this by saying that I am mostly a Glock guy and 1911's are generally at the bottom of my list. I've had a lot of Glocks, Sigs, HKs, Berettas, and Springfields.

Out of all these, I like the Glocks for several reasons....ergos, trigger, internal safeties, interchangeability, weight, and capacity just to name a few.

I do not really like 1911's for a couple reasons. Price, reliability issues, weight, capacity, just to name a few.

However, I recently picked up a RIA compact for $400 and put about 500 rounds through it. I did not have ONE single malfunction of any kind, 25 of those rounds were federal JHP's. Now I've had Kimbers, colts, springfields, and Remington's. I have not had this quality of performance out of any of these. Every single one of those had a few malfunctions in the first 200rds.

Now the RIA has a little rougher finish, is kind of heavy, and could use a little trigger work. But I've never had this kind of reliability out of a 1911. Granted, I haven't had any of the $1500+ 1911's, but this gun was DAMN impressive for $400.

I wholeheartedly agree with your assessment of the RIA 1911. I had one of their 1911s in 10mm and it was an excellent gun for the money. I disagree with your assessment of other 1911s. I have five Colts, two Kimbers, and a Dan Wesson Valor. They are my EDC guns and all of them have been flawless.
    gatorbait51, Aceoky, OD* and 1 others like this.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

Wiggy.........You have now made the transition to the..................Guberment (1911) side......Careful now.......They become addictive!
    RIA makes a GREAT handgun for the money...
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

VIP Member
    Armscor makes a VERY good 1911 type pistol. Series 70 system, the machining is a bit rough and it is inexpensive but in no way cheap. Every Rocky I've had the pleasure of shooting does it well, does it accurately and does it reliably. There is indeed something to be said for that nice steel gun.
    One other thing, should you have an issue, call Rock Island, they respond quickly, efficiently and no BSing you .

Welcome to the 1911 addiction.. there ain't cure for the 1911 jones .
    EN MI VIDA AL MAL NO TEMERÉ, POR QUE EN MI CORAZÓN Y MIS DOS .38 SUPER COLT.

Distinguished Member Array Tundra5.7's Avatar
    Wish I had bought one of those Rock Islands around last Thanksgiving when Buds had them on sale.
    "Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

Quote Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
    I wholeheartedly agree with your assessment of the RIA 1911. I had one of their 1911s in 10mm and it was an excellent gun for the money. I disagree with your assessment of other 1911s. I have five Colts, two Kimbers, and a Dan Wesson Valor. They are my EDC guns and all of them have been flawless.
    That's awesome that yours have been flawless. That wasn't my experience, but that's only me. I know there are a lot of people who have had different ones.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by CLASS3NH View Post
    Wiggy.........You have now made the transition to the..................Guberment (1911) side......Careful now.......They become addictive!
    Lol well I've had about 5 other 1911's so it's to my first, I really do like this little guy tho
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by CLASS3NH View Post
    How true about 1911's . . . bought one a year ago and now I have three.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "Kimbers are the guns you show your friends, Glocks are the guns you show your enemies."

Glocks have ergonomics? Lol.... Congrats on the rise. I am wanting to add one myself one dsy

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    gatorbait51 and OO7 like this.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

If you cant love the ergos of a brick, theres something wrong. All 3 of my RIA's have been great from the first shot on. Is it equal to Guncrafters, no. But since all my firearms are tools I don't need a $3000 pistol. I've never dealt with any firearms manufacturer who has better CS than RIA. It goes bang reliably and hits what I want to; for the money its the best bang for the buck I can think of.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

I bought one, 4.25" barrel GI model. Flawless with 200 rounds. I am pleased with my purchase. Reasonably accurate and inexpensive.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

RIA 1911 Compact GI or RIA 1911 TAC Compact or RIA 1911 TAC II Compact?
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links