Kahr owners... Honest opinions please.

This is a discussion on Kahr owners... Honest opinions please. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I've exhausted my going to scheels and cabelas and local ranges trying to find a CW380. A local range carries them but does not ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: Kahr owners... Honest opinions please.

Kahr owners... Honest opinions please.

So I've exhausted my going to scheels and cabelas and local ranges trying to find a CW380. A local range carries them but does not have one to rent and try out. I love the feel and size of the gun in my hand.

Please do not tell me to get an LCP, I don't want an LCP. I want the CW380. I like the feature of the slide locking after final round locking back, I love the stainless slide, I love how it fits in my hand. However I am nervous about all the things I'm reading about the reliability of the gun.

You kahr owners, what's been your experience with them? Should I get the 380?

A hobby turned passion

2. Remove Ads

You want one get one ..

As I have posted most Khar owner ( me inclued ) are either :

1. OH MY GOD GREAT GUN OR
    2.What a piece of crap ..

This has been the case for 99% of kars it seem either you get a great gun and it runs fovered or you get crap and it never works .. It is a crap shoot reall ..Though I seemed to hear more isses ith the 380 then the 9s ( why I dont have one ..)

As a nudge the tcp taurus does have last round slide hold
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    I am not a lawyer .. Just a dog typing on the internet ..Spelling media apparatus male portatili. Malo me non reprehendo
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Accept that you may have to work to get it reliable through either prep or even sending it back to Kahr if you're unlucky. If you can accept that there's a chance that it may not be 100% out of the box, then you should be fine with the CW380. Mine gave me a bit of trouble in the first hundred rounds before settling down. At this point I've put enough through it without a single hiccup to be comfortable carrying it. I still prefer my LCP, but only because it's slightly smaller and lighter and my thumbs don't knock the slide lock release and I don't necessarily need an enjoyable micro 380 for range use.
    TN_Mike likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by than137 View Post
    Accept that you may have to work to get it reliable through either prep or even sending it back to Kahr if you're unlucky. If you can accept that there's a chance that it may not be 100% out of the box, then you should be fine with the CW380. Mine gave me a bit of trouble in the first hundred rounds before settling down. At this point I've put enough through it without a single hiccup to be comfortable carrying it. I still prefer my LCP, but only because it's slightly smaller and lighter and my thumbs don't knock the slide lock release and I don't necessarily need an enjoyable micro 380 for range use.
    Yep .... Dont forget you got to put a lot of rounds 200 at least through it to break it in and if it dont work after that and lubing and new ammo well you may have some isseus ..
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    I am not a lawyer .. Just a dog typing on the internet ..Spelling media apparatus male portatili. Malo me non reprehendo
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Quote Originally Posted by WrongRecroom View Post
    Yep .... Dont forget you got to put a lot of rounds 200 at least through it to break it in and if it dont work after that and lubing and new ammo well you may have some isseus ..
    That "break in religion" is why I am going to get rid of my second Kahr. I can't believe I bought a second one after the first fiasco a couple of years ago. This second one, a new CM9, is sort of OK after many "break in rounds" but still hiccups enough that I don't trust it to carry.

PS: My alleged POS SCCY is on about round 400 with not a single hiccup.

Trooper Joe
    ExGM and WrongRecroom like this.

I've had a P380 for a few years. It had a lot of problems, but after a trip back to Kahr it has been fine. I chose it because of the way it felt in my hand (as you have said) and the quality of the gun. I don't carry it too much as I prefer revolvers, but I do enjoy shooting it now and then and will carry it sometimes in the summer. It is vey accurate. I had an XS Big Dot sight installed and like it. If you do get one look up the lube instructions on-line. I think that makes a difference. My P380 seems to like some ammo brands more than others (BB, Winchester, S&B are all great; Fiocchi not so much).

From the sound of your post you seem 90% set on getting one, so how about this thought: it's always easy for people to complain about things they perceive as lousy, especially in forums such as this one. If Kahr's guns were as awful as some would have you believe, they couldn't remain in business. Every manufacturer has had problem products and they will generally make every effort to make it right so the consumer is happy. Unfortunately some people seem to take it as a personal insult if there are any issues with a new gun and are quick to post online and rail against the company's inferior product. For every person out there complaining there have to be quite a few others who are perfectly satisfied. What's the worst that could happen if you get the CW380? It has problems and either Kahr fixes it or you get rid of it (and post here about the terrible advice you got!). However, you may end up with a gun you really enjoy and is everything you hoped it would be. How lucky do you feel? Enjoy your new gun.
    spclopr8tr likes this.

Seems my CW40 was a piece a crap..3 trips back and it never was right.. I traded it off.. Now that being said..I never hear folks complaining about the all steel Kahr's. Just the polymer framed ones.
    You can get the CW380 from Bud's
    Kahr Arms CW3833 CW380 6+1 380ACP 2.58" $325.00 SHIPS FREE

If I was to try Kahr again I would get this..
    Kahr Arms MK9 9mm Stainless $641.00 SHIPS FREE
    Current collection: Too many according to the wife...

I have the CW380 it has been a great gun with no reliability issues. It disappears in a pocket holster.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by Dash13a View Post
    However I am nervous about all the things I'm reading about the reliability of the gun.
    It's worth being nervous about. But then, many folks have various Kahr pistols and run them just fine, without error, for countless thousands of rounds.

I've had three P380's, none of which ended up reliable in my hands. Fell by the wayside, along with two PM9's and a CW9. All the same basic issue, that of cycling jams, inability of Kahr to correct the problems with the guns, expensive "test" regimen on my part, etc.

Still, I'm with you: the ergonomics are great, accuracy is great, recoil is very manageable, and they're extremely flat for carrying. It's a great gun, no matter which one you get, at least in terms of the format and ergos. Just get a reliable one, and you'll be fine.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

All I will add is this...will you ever really trust it, or will there always be some doubt in the back of your mind? Will you accept failures during the so called break in, or will they nag you?

I've had four polymer Kahrs, and am going to trade away the last one as soon as I can find a SP101 revolver locally.

Good luck with your quest.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    I've had four polymer Kahrs, and am going to trade away the last one as soon as I can find a SP101 revolver locally.
    A Kahr for a 3" SP-101? Yeah, I'd make that trade, too.

There are plenty of Kahrror (ha! Kahr-horror!) stories out there, but IMO they are worth the small risk. Small, tightly machined pistols like this might be more picky than others, but are well worth it.

Upon getting a new Kahr, you MUST take it down, clean it up, lube it properly, and put it back together. Visit the Kahr forum (google "breaking in a new kahr") and there is plenty of info on doing this.

Do it right, and the Kahr is one of the nicest little pistols you can buy. My PM9 and K9 are both 100% flawless. The PM9 has been riding shotgun on my ankle for over five years and still looks / functions like new. Its been dragged through puddles and banged into things pretty regularly. They are extremely well built little pistols.

Worst case scenario is you hate it, and somebody on this forum buys it from you. Not likely though. You'll probably love it.

I have both a P380 and a CM9 with ZERO problems from either of them. I sometimes wonder if some of the problems aren't the pistols but the shooters. Particularly after hearing some of the cases where they are sent back to Kahr for "repair", Kahr examines, test fires and sends them back, but the pistols still have "failures".

I have a Steyr L9-A1 that has had zero issues, that is until my daughter shot it. She had fired about 60-70 rounds when it starting FTF. I took over and put 25 rounds out flawlessly. Then she shot again and continued to have FTF. I shot it again, and again zero problems. She was simply tired and had started to limp wrist it.

I'm not saying there aren't problems with some Kahrs as there are with virtually any firearm manufacturer. But I can't help but think sometimes it isn't the firearm as much as it is the owner.

If the OP wants a CW380, then go for it. It is like finding a spouse. You think they are going to be a good match, but you can never be sure until you try it. If we wanted/needed 100% certainty it was going to work, most of us would never get married.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." Alexander Hamilton

Distinguished Life Member NRA
    2AF
    Maryland Shall Issue
    Handgunlaw.us Donor

Quote Originally Posted by spclopr8tr View Post
    I have both a P380 and a CM9 with ZERO problems from either of them. I sometimes wonder if some of the problems aren't the pistols but the shooters. Particularly after hearing some of the cases where they are sent back to Kahr for "repair", Kahr examines, test fires and sends them back, but the pistols still have "failures".
    Very likely, if one could measure the strength, shooting style and dynamics of a given person with a given gun, then compare that across other guns. I'm sure you're correct.

But in my case the fact remains that 6 of 6 Kahr pistols fail to be reliable in my hands, while countless other pistols run nearly flawlessly. Same guy, same basic technique, same knowledge of avoiding "limp wristing" and other problems, same serious regimen of seeking the most-reliable cartridges possible for that given platform. And the Kahrs stood out like a sore thumb, for me. I've never been so bummed in all my life, when I couldn't get at least one to run well. Sad, selling the PM9's and P380's. No doubt. Kahr couldn't explain it. And I never had the gear to test the details of what makes that gun in my hands unreliable, of all guns I've heavily used. Beyond my ability to explain. Or Kahr's, unfortunately.

Distinguished Member Array CDW4ME's Avatar
    Since others are posting about Kahr pistols other than the one you asked about, I might as well too.

I recently got a Kahr K40 and PM9 by parting ways with a couple of my least favorite pistols.

The manual recommends a 200 round break-in, which is fine as I wouldn't shoot a few magazines through a new pistol and call it good anyway.
    I used only HP ammo in the K40; the PM9 got 50 rounds of 124 gr. FMJ and the next 150+ rounds were HP (nearly all of that +P)

I cleaned / oiled them before shooting and after about every 50 rounds.

Kahr advises to use the slide release, not the "slingshot" method; I ignored this and pulled the slide back and let it go as with my other pistols.
    For the first few magazines both pistols balked at my method, after that they accepted my way of doing things.

No malfunctions whatsoever for the 200+ rounds I've fired through either pistol and brass is ejected consistently
    (not at or near my head).

The difference in C and P/K series:
    Kahr CW Series | CW380, CW9, CW40 and CW45

Having a machined slide stop, dovetail front sight (both of mine have night sights), and polygonal rifling made the P/K series and easy choice for me.

I like my K40 and PM9.
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links