Taurus 85 speedloaders

Taurus 85 speedloaders

This is a discussion on Taurus 85 speedloaders within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My apologies if this has been covered, but searching didn't gain me any answers. Im looking for a speedloader alternative to the HKS 36a. I'm ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By cthruit

Thread: Taurus 85 speedloaders

Taurus 85 speedloaders

My apologies if this has been covered, but searching didn't gain me any answers.

Im looking for a speedloader alternative to the HKS 36a. I'm not a fan of the little twist knob and the rounds don't feed smoothly into the cylinder. Safariland COMP speedloaders sound more fool-proof with their straight push release mechanism, but the COMP 1's seem to have a bad rap and I can't tell if the COMP II's will work with 5 shot revolvers. Anyone here using Safariland speedloaders with their Taurus 85?

Eric

AFAIK, there's only one Safariland that works with the 5 shot .38 snubs. You problem will be if your speedloader will clear the grips.

I also found it difficult for me to finesse those speedloaders first in my former 85 and now in my S&W 642. What I am also finding is that the pouch prints more than the revolver! When I had the 85 I picked up a pair of Bianchi speed strips. They disappeared in a pocket much like the snubbie does and for me are easier to load cartridges. (I have no experience with the Safarilands but they look just as bulky as an HKS in a case.)
    Carpe Diem
    "Winter Is Coming"

The Comp 1 works with the Taurus and "j-frame-y" 5 shot .38s. It's smaller than the HKS, for not having the knob on top.

127569.jpg

The first one I got I couldn't get to work, until I disassembled and reassembled it. I got them for use with my Charter Undercover, and I still need to work on thinning the grip a bit for it to clear. When I tried it with my Taurus 605, it seemed to work OK.

Senior Member Array AZ Desertrat's Avatar
    I used the Comp I for years with my M85 and my M36 Chiefs Special....both had Hogue monogrips and worked
    great for loader clearance.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government--lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." --Patrick Henry

NRA Life Member

Have you tried Speed strips? Easier to carry, and if your speedloader is glitchy, they're just about as fast for most folks. If you're gonna use them, practice...a lot.
    1 old 0311 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Firearm.Fan.Girl View Post
    I also found it difficult for me to finesse those speedloaders first in my former 85 and now in my S&W 642. What I am also finding is that the pouch prints more than the revolver! When I had the 85 I picked up a pair of Bianchi speed strips. They disappeared in a pocket much like the snubbie does and for me are easier to load cartridges. (I have no experience with the Safarilands but they look just as bulky as an HKS in a case.)
    Yea, they're definitely just as bulky as the HKS loaders. In theory, they look easier to use.

Quote Originally Posted by lee n. field View Post
    The Comp 1 works with the Taurus and "j-frame-y" 5 shot .38s. It's smaller than the HKS, for not having the knob on top.

127569.jpg

The first one I got I couldn't get to work, until I disassembled and reassembled it. I got them for use with my Charter Undercover, and I still need to work on thinning the grip a bit for it to clear. When I tried it with my Taurus 605, it seemed to work OK.
    Glad to hear it worked out for you. Can you elaborate on having to disassemble it to get it to work?

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Desertrat View Post
    I used the Comp I for years with my M85 and my M36 Chiefs Special....both had Hogue monogrips and worked
    great for loader clearance.
    That's good to know. My LGS has a bunch of Monogrips for sale cheap, may have to try a set.

Quote Originally Posted by cthruit View Post
    Have you tried Speed strips? Easier to carry, and if your speedloader is glitchy, they're just about as fast for most folks. If you're gonna use them, practice...a lot.
    I just ordered a set of speed strips. Time will tell if I am coordinated enough to use them quickly

Glad to hear it worked out for you. Can you elaborate on having to disassemble it to get it to work?
    Somehow it got "stuck" after the first time I loaded it, and I couldn't the star "thingee" that holds the cases in place to cam out again. I took it apart, and re-assembled it, and it's worked since.

Tuff Strips but I also have 5 Star and I really like them

If you have enough clearance this is the best J Frame Speed Loader made.

Shown is an F Model Jet Loader for the J Frame S&W and SP101. They are a little snug in my 442. Perfect in the SP101.

A little better picture of the F Model Jet Loader in a Kydex Belt Carrier.

The two places I have found that carry Jet Loaders is Pistoleer, and Power Custom.

Bob The Revolver Guy
    Big Creek Kydex Speed Loader Carriers
    ICORE MO2908
    NRA Life

Ex Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cthruit View Post

The speed strip, with the 6th tab cut off, fits PERFECT in a watch pocket.

Sponsored Links