Trade P238 for P938?

Trade P238 for P938?

This is a discussion on Trade P238 for P938? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Last fall, my wife and I went to an LGS (5280 Armory) and I told her to pick out her present. We'd been to another ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By MrBuckwheat

Thread: Trade P238 for P938?

Trade P238 for P938?

Last fall, my wife and I went to an LGS (5280 Armory) and I told her to pick out her present. We'd been to another shop prior to that (her first) and she like the LCP due to size (small hands) but they had a limited selection. Wouldn't be my choice but this would be her CC gun and I know enough that the choice should be hers. This LGS has a nice selection so I encouraged her to look around while I browsed elsewhere and tried to stay out of the way.

When I wander back over, I find she had focused in on the Sig P238 SAS...damn hon, you have good taste, as I'm feeling the pinch in my wallet. Sweet little gun and we ended up bringing it home. But she didn't have her CCW permit yet and ski season got in the way so the gun sat, unfired, though I certainly played with it. During her CCW class, the instructor convinced her that 9mm was a better choice than 380. Now she's questioning her original choice.

So here's where we're at: we have an unfired P238 SAS in the box with paperwork, extra mag and a box of WWB. I'm thinking with the right ammo, this gun will suit her needs just fine. But it probably wouldn't be too much of a financial hit to trade it in for a P928 SAS and we'd save money on ammo in the long run. I haven't fired either one and probably won't have that option. Now that she has her CCW permit, we need to decide soon and get out and practice.

Trade it in or shoot?

VIP Member
    Well you get to make your choice. I can tell you I am a huge fan of the 938. My wife and I shoot either 9MM or 45. The 938 is a dream to carry and it shoots pretty darn good. You will have to pay what I call stupid tax if you trade in your brand new 238. The dealers are in business to make money and they have overhead. But I doubt you will like their offer. So see how bad of a hit you will take and go from there. If you build a relationship with the LGS maybe there will be other incentives.
    MMinSC likes this.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

I think the 238 is the perfect carry gun for a lady.
    1. It's attractive.
    2. Easy slide to rack.
    3. Very low recoil.
    4. Real sights.

IMO, all the downsides of the 238 are there in the 938. S/A.
    I'd say keep it.

I would keep it. The .380 will meet the average self defense needs of anyone. Getting shot by a bullet is a pretty damn big deterrent to any BG, and is usually lethal for most major calibers. Shoot the gun and see how she likes it to start with. If you are going to trade in to a gun shop, unless you have an exceptional relationship with a smaller shop and they know you, used is used. Once that gun walks out the door, it is technically a used gun. Whether or not you run a couple boxes of ammo through it before making your decision won't affect its value at this point.
    I think guns are like insurance. I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Keep the 238 for backup and get her a 938.

Both are relatively snappy guns due to their size, if she's not used to recoil.

I don't advocate anything under 9mm for self-defense, but I have both a 238 and LCP and they have their place. I have only seen one person shot with a .380, in the upper right lung and he was talking but having growing distress until reaching the hospital. Without surgical care he would have died, eventually.

A .380 will stop the average person or make them re-evaluate their activities. One into the cranium will probably turn their brain into mush. There is a considerable amount of power in those little rounds, especially +P.

VIP Member
    First off, welcome to the forum.

As to the gun, IMO keep the 238 and go ahead a buy a 938. Even thought the 238 has never been fired, it is still going to be considered a used gun. Unless your doing a private sell of it, your going to take a beating on a trade.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

My wife has a 238 and my Father-in-Law has a 938. We were just at the range this weekend. I had the opportunity to shoot both of them side by side. IMO, for a woman, I would NOT recommend the 938. I carry a 9mm myself and I thought the 938 has much more recoil than the 238... I found that little 9mm to be very unpleasant to shoot. One magazine and I was done with it. Plus I found it hard to line up the next shot because of the heavy recoil. Needless to say I wasn't very accurate with it....
    I don't want to be a hero, but I'm sure not going to be a victim.

Hydrogen and human stupidty are the two most common elements on earth, not necessarily in that order. -- Albert Einstein

Keep the P238. You won't find a better shooting .380 or one with less felt recoil without going to a much larger pistol. As others have posted, .380 is not necessarily going to drop someone dead in their tracks, but it is certainly going to alter their behavior. I carry .380, 9mm, and .45 depending on the weather, activity, and location. I do NOT feel under-armed with the .380. You just have to be proficient with whatever you carry.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." Alexander Hamilton

Distinguished Life Member NRA
    2AF
    Maryland Shall Issue
    Handgunlaw.us Donor

Keep the P238. Load it with Corbon JHP's. Don't look back.
    "A gun is a tool, Marion. No better and no worse than any other tool - an axe, a shovel, or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that." --from "Shane" (Alan Ladd) -1953

I sold two Sig P238s and replaced them with a Sig P938 and a Springfield Armory XDs-45 for pocket BUGs.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

Trade P238 for P938?

Quote Originally Posted by BradL View Post
    My wife has a 238 and my Father-in-Law has a 938. We were just at the range this weekend. I had the opportunity to shoot both of them side by side. IMO, for a woman, I would NOT recommend the 938. I carry a 9mm myself and I thought the 938 has much more recoil than the 238... I found that little 9mm to be very unpleasant to shoot. One magazine and I was done with it. Plus I found it hard to line up the next shot because of the heavy recoil. Needless to say I wasn't very accurate with it....
    I beg to differ, I have found the 938 has relatively milder felt recoil than other subcompacts / compacts that I have, e.g., pm9, cm9, cw9 ...... Hate to admit, I find the 938 is more tame than the G19.... But.. YMMV.

indeed, my CZ metal guns are more comfy to shoot vs the 938.

Distinguished Member
    We have a pair of 238's and a pair of 938's (all Equinox's). They all shoot like a dream and the recoil is really quite mild. Shooting 147gr rounds in the 938 feels just the same as 90gr rounds in the 238. My wife finds the slightly long grip (front to back) to be easier to handle. Both pistols really need the extended 7 round mags to provide room for the pinky. Either gun is an excellent choice, but with the 938 you'll have a lot more ammo options.

404 :: Signature not found
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

I have both the P238 and P938. I love both of the guns! My wife prefers the P238 because it is a very soft shooter. She is super accurate with it! I personally like the P938 to carry, but I do carry the P238 in my pocket from time to time. I really like having both and would not ever trade either one.

My 10 year old son can handle the 938 without an issue. He has 500 rounds through mine so most adult women should handle it fine and more ammo options and costs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links