Wood Gun Case... Building tomorrow

This is a discussion on Wood Gun Case... Building tomorrow within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; How many of you have a wood box you store your gun in when not on your person? Lately I've taken my stab at woodworking ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Wood Gun Case... Building tomorrow

Wood Gun Case... Building tomorrow

How many of you have a wood box you store your gun in when not on your person?

Lately I've taken my stab at woodworking and had the thought to build a nightstand gun box.

Have any of you built a case? I'll post photos as I get going on it. Most likely building out of cedar. Excited for the finished product.

A hobby turned passion
    welder516 and DingBat like this.

2. Remove Ads

When I was heavy into Rendezvous I had a cedar plunder box I kept my Hawken pistol in but that's it. I keep 3 handguns within easy reach of me when I'm here in my chair. My other guns are in my safe. These days I wouldn't keep my guns in a wood box unless it was of giant proportions encased in steel surrounded by razor wire and mines. But that's just me.
    welder516 likes this.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

There is nothing secure about a wood box. In this day and age wood gun chests should go the way of the dinosaur

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NONAME762 View Post
    When I was heavy into Rendezvous I had a cedar plunder box I kept my Hawken pistol in but that's it. I keep 3 handguns within easy reach of me when I'm here in my chair. My other guns are in my safe. These days I wouldn't keep my guns in a wood box unless it was of giant proportions encased in steel surrounded by razor wire and mines. But that's just me.
    That's why I preferred the Lyman Plains pistol, I carried it on my belt using the belt clip.

lyman.JPG
    StormRhydr likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member
    Georgia..South of the mountains, north of the sand flies.
    Go to the parts department of a local Aisian import car dealer. Some of the Nissan and Toyota parts are shipped on pallets made from different hardwoods, Mahogony being one. If you have a jointer or planer to put the slabs together, they make for some great looking boxes and display cases.
    A wise man once said: "Bugout bag?..What's that? Is that all the junk you sidewalk commandos plan on humping when the SHTF...I'll grab a Nylon 66, a box of 22s and a poncho liner and in less than a week I will have all of your stuff and everything else that I need for the duration."

I'm feeling sarcasm and a little patronizing.

A hobby turned passion

I would like to see pictures, (I'm a woodworker myself)

I built a really nice box out of walnut to sit on the nightstand. It's there just for the look and not for security. I'll post some pics later on.
    StormRhydr likes this.
    "A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
    Getting old is mandatory,growing up is optional.
    "You are born. And you die. And if you are very lucky in between you get to ride motorcycles."

Old cigar boxes work well also

VIP Member
    A house is made of wood ........................so a wood box sounds nice please, post some pics of it when you are done .
    oldskeetshooter likes this.
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NONAME762 View Post
    Do you mean " renaissance " like the Ren Fest ????

All the sudden i want to talk like a Pirate
    oldskeetshooter likes this.
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    I really don't see anything wrong with a nicely built wooden gun case, if you're not using it for security. If you just need a place to store, access and show off your collection a wooden case can look great.

Great suggestion above on the use of pallet material too, by the way, oldskeetshooter is correct on the type of material some of those places have. A planer and a table saw can yield a very nice looking piece of furniture.
    welder516 likes this.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Alright guys, it was a quick project... 5 hours... But it's done. It's far different than I had planned on. That's what happens when you don't have paper plans and go off your head. I've decided to not store the gun in here, rather it be an ammo/gun cleaning box. What do you think?

A hobby turned passion
    welder516, DJC7 and pgrass101 like this.

Distinguished Member Array lionround's Avatar
    IBTL. not SD related. Other than that, it looks sweet.
    I busted a mirror and got seven years bad luck, but my lawyer thinks he can get me five.
    -- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

I think I'd countersink the screws in the coffee table and plug the holes with dowels. (or buy a plug cutter)
    Otherwise, nice!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links