Striker or DA/SA?

Striker or DA/SA?

This is a discussion on Striker or DA/SA? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi everyone! I'm looking for some feedback about striker vs DA/SA. Mainly ease of use. I'm a relatively new shooter, though I've had and loved ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Striker or DA/SA?

Striker or DA/SA?

Hi everyone! I'm looking for some feedback about striker vs DA/SA. Mainly ease of use. I'm a relatively new shooter, though I've had and loved an M&P 9mm. I'm thinking about a CZ75, but I worry that having to deal with the hammer, cocked? Uncocked? Locked? Etc will be too confusing and distracting in a stressful sd situation. Even with practice....would this be the type of gun that would be safe for a point-and-shoot type person?
    Thanks for all feedback!

Sufficient training and development of muscle memory will ensure that whatever platform you choose, you'll be good to go in a SD situation.

Are you unhappy with your M&P? I carry a 45c and Shield and am beyond pleased with their functionality and ergonomics.
    Taurahe and USM1976 like this.
    British by birth. American by choice.

CZs in production class (USPSA) are run DA/SA, never using the safety. Personally, I see no reason to have one cocked and locked. I'm not sure this is much of an answer but mastering the DA first shot and transitioning to SA can be done with practice.
    Eric357 likes this.
    TY54712

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_C View Post
    Sufficient training and development of muscle memory will ensure that whatever platform you choose, you'll be good to go in a SD situation.

Are you unhappy with your M&P? I carry a 45c and Shield and am beyond pleased with their functionality and ergonomics.
    I really liked my 9c, but I had to sell it. I'm in the market again, though. With my 9c, I was used to the stock trigger and I doubt I'd get an Apex because I'm not one to do even simple gunsmithing. I bought a Shield and after shooting it, I sold it. I admit I didn't give it much time, but in 200 rounds I had three stovepipes, and two times when the slide was out of battery so the gun wouldn't fire. It was also a bear to lock the slide back, though that loosened after a while. I'm willing to try another Shield, though.
    Do you have the stock trigger in your guns?

As a 25 year shooter, veteran, mechanical engineer and weapons history nut, my opinion is that the modern striker gun is a solution to a non-exisiting problem. The striker trigger is a poor comprimise between the crisp SA release (for accuracy) and a long DA pull (for safety). I know many disagree, but I have yet to see a striker platform that would exceed the performance of a good SA/DA platform like the CZ-75 series.
    bigmacque and BurgerBoy like this.

Yes I have the stock trigger in both of my M&Ps. They really smooth out nicely after a while. I spent an evening with each just pulling the trigger (empty gun of course!) while watching TV and you could really tell the difference. I also thought they Shield's slide was a little difficult to lock back but that gets better with use too.

That said, I have nothing against SA/DA and have owned such guns in the past. Just train, train, train with whatever you choose!

So if a CZ75 compact, for example, is carried in DA/SA mode, I would train myself on the heavier first pull, transitioning to the lighter follow-ups. I just need to find a shop where I can try this type of gun.

And the Shield.....I ought to give it a second chance. It was a little floppy, and maybe I was limp-wristing. But what about the slide not going back in to battery? Simple lube job?

Never had that problem myself, but yes, you should always make sure your gun is properly lubed.

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit4earth View Post
    So if a CZ75 compact, for example, is carried in DA/SA mode, I would train myself on the heavier first pull, transitioning to the lighter follow-ups. I just need to find a shop where I can try this type of gun.
    Yes. The transition can be quickly mastered. Millions of shooters accomplished that feat in the pre-striker era.

If they don't have a CZ-75 or 85 platform, any shop that carries the Sig or H&K lines should have a new DA/SA for you to try. The used S&W 3rd Gens are also a good choice, such as the 5904 or 6906.
    Eric357 likes this.

I am currently transitioning from a striker fire pistol (XD) to a sig DA/SA for my EDC. The SA of the Sig is so smooth that the transition to SA was simple, but I found myself pulling low left on the DA pull, so I still need at least 1 more range trip to get the DA pull down. However, I did find that it is easier than you would think. If you stay disciplined at the range, and practice the DA pull from a high ready over and over again. And then do the DA to SA follow up from a high ready as well. It is easier than you might think. My problem was the SA pull was soo nice, I just kept firing in SA. When I only practice the DA and the DA to SA follow up, I went from the 7 ring low left to just below my aiming point in about 50 rds. It took about 100 rds of patient practice for me to be right on, but I am planning to go to the range this weekend to practice the DA pull and the DA to SA transition again jus tot be sure If all goes well, I will be using the Sig as my EDC moving forward.
    No trees were harmed in the construction of this post. However a large number of electrons were indiscriminately aroused.

Quote Originally Posted by WebleyHunter View Post
    As a 25 year shooter, veteran, mechanical engineer and weapons history nut, my opinion is that the modern striker gun is a solution to a non-exisiting problem. The striker trigger is a poor comprimise between the crisp SA release (for accuracy) and a long DA pull (for safety). I know many disagree, but I have yet to see a striker platform that would exceed the performance of a good SA/DA platform like the CZ-75 series.
    I don't see the need for a da/sa trigger on a pistol. Why take the time and trouble to learn TWO trigger characteristics when you can shoot a sa pistol and learn one. I'd rather learn and ingrain in muscle memory switching off the manual safety in exchange for a perfect sa trigger pull each and every time. And yes....I have owned da/sa pistols.
    Sectionchief likes this.

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    So long as you train for that first shot in DA, you'll be just fine... too many people buy a DA/SA and only train SA.

You will love the CZ. I have the compact D, has decocker just chamber round hit the decocker puts it in half cock very safe an first shot is smooth an short than follow ups are SA the most accurate weapon out of the box I have ever shot an in 40 years of shooting
    I have tried most of them.

You are over thinking this. Each has its good and bad points. Learn them, but give each a chance. I personally prefer striker, but also carry a Dao and Sao. My shield and my full-size have good triggers, my lcp is do, and my 1911 is Sao. Da / sa I do not care for, for all the reason mentioned in previous posts. As far as a safety goes, I do not use them on defensive pistols even if it has one. My 1911 is a range toy so it does not concern me.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_C View Post

Striker4earth, I feel Alec_C has the best answer you could possibly receive.

There are many factors which contribute to good shooting, but the best is practice...find a handgun which fits your hand (ergonomics) and is an extention of your hand...pick it up point it. Does it present a natural sight picture ? In other words, do you have to shift the handgun around looking for the sights ? Is it a caliber with which you can repeatedly shoot and not be intimidated by recoil ? If so, go shoot, shoot often, and become very proficient with said handgun. One should not carry a handgun with which he is not familiar, confident, or competent. It does not matter how the firing mechanism operates.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links