Mini Shootout of the Minis

This is a discussion on Mini Shootout of the Minis within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just got back in from a little shootout of my three small, easy carrying firearms. Nothing formal, I just wanted to see how my ...

Like Tree8Likes
  • 4 Post By PAcanis
  • 1 Post By Bad Bob
  • 1 Post By than137
  • 1 Post By Hulley
  • 1 Post By Harryball

Thread: Mini Shootout of the Minis

Mini Shootout of the Minis

I just got back in from a little shootout of my three small, easy carrying firearms. Nothing formal, I just wanted to see how my aim was and where my pistols were shooting.
    The one I've had the longest is my Ruger LCR in .38 Special. And I could have sworn I used to shoot it better, but the proof is on the paper. I haven't shot it in probably six months, or any revolver for that matter, and it showed.
    The next in chronological order is my Sig P938 in 9mm. I haven't shot that in probably 8 months. And the trigger was just as heavy and scratchy as I remember. And the rear sight was way over to the right, which is evident in my groups. I'm not sure what is up with that, if I did that or it loosened up. I'll find out shortly here when I move it back towards the center.
    And my newest, the Smith and Wesson M&P Shield. The smoothest, best feeling trigger of all of them. Looks like I over drifted the rear sight to the right, but I'm still sighting this one in as I've only had it a week.

The players

I loaded each pistol to capacity using range ammo. Five for the LCR, Seven for the Sig and eight for the Shield. The semis I used the smaller of the two mags each came with and put one in the pipe.
    My first session was from 10 yards shooting offhand. Each shot was aimed, but not over-thoughtout. I don't think it took me twenty seconds to empty each, including the 5 shot LCR. That one was a little trickier trying to get a feel for the break and I certainly didn't save time with the fewer shots.

The LCR

The Sig

The Shield

What did I learn here? I learned the LCR shoots incredibly low at 10 yards. I don't think my group was *too* bad, not as good as the semis, but man, only two shots on paper at 10 yds? Not what I was expecting.
    And in spite of the Sig having the worst trigger of all of them, I was amazed at its accuracy. In spite of not having shot it in a while, I found its performance to be perfectly acceptable.
    And the Shield... You all already know how happy I am with this pistol. The recoil and wrist snap was probably half of what the Sig P938 was. The trigger the best and the group also acceptable for someone who is just a plinker.

Next test was to see how fast I could pull the trigger with some semblance of aiming. This was done at 7 yards, also offhand.

The LCR. We had to move the camera back for this pic The lower shots were the ten I shot.

The Sig

And the Shield

So, who wants to buy an LCR? lol. Seriously, I'm embarrassed at the way I shot this weapon. Minute of chest is not something I am happy with at this close a distance. Note to self, buy more .38 Special next time it's on sale. You need the practice. Shooting it fast had me pulling my shots. I need to work on finger placement if I am going to carry this with confidence.
    And the Sig's group moved over nicely and stayed relatively tight. I imagine pulling the trigger quickly caused some rolling of the gun in my hand. It's definitely the most uncomfortable to shoot due to its small size, but effective.
    The Shield. Lots of firepower in a small package. I did seem to get a flier or two in every mag. I'll have to use a rest next time and really take my time to verify it's just me and not the gun. Aside from the fliers I seem to shoot it the most consistently, whether taking my time or squeezing them off fast both groups are slightly right of POA.

All in all it was a good time and I learned something

2. Remove Ads

Nice Job, I like my 40 Shield.
    PAcanis likes this.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

“Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.”
    - H. G. Wells -

When I first took my M&P340 to the range it was pretty similar to that. The nice thing about the revolvers though is that I can load up some snap caps and just sit there all day until I get that trigger down. I've got the CT grips on it and practice keeping that laser as steady as I can. I don't use the laser at the range, but I've gotten much better with it. Love the shield though. Nice one.
    PAcanis likes this.

I can actually shoot my LCR pretty good, but it does take a little longer due to the rear gutter sight, but I consider the LCR my 5yd and under gun. I am planning on a Shield 9mm soon though. Good shooting!
    PAcanis likes this.
    I carry a .357mag because no one bickers about the .357mag being "enough".

It would seem that the shield is the winner in your test...Nice shooting.
    PAcanis likes this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Thanks, Harry.
    Yes, I'd give the Shield the edge over the P938. The Sig carries smaller, but the Shield is much easier on the hands and is slightly larger, which makes it easier to get a grip on it as you're drawing.
    I think my big conclusion is how poorly I performed with my snubbie. And I at least shoot fairly regularly. Here I'd been using it as my grab and go gun because it carries well due to its ergonomics. After taking some shots with it after not shooting it for a while there is no way I could recommend one to someone as a first gun. Not with the simplicity and slimness of the Shield, which is my new grab and go gun.

Links