1911 for Home Defense?

1911 for Home Defense?

This is a discussion on 1911 for Home Defense? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So to preface, I started shooting about a year ago and carrying about 8 months ago. I currently carry a Sig P938. I have a ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree108Likes

Thread: 1911 for Home Defense?

1911 for Home Defense?

So to preface, I started shooting about a year ago and carrying about 8 months ago. I currently carry a Sig P938. I have a Ruger SR9c with a 17 round mag with an attached flashlight as my bedside gun and I also have a Browning Hi-Power in 9mm.

The thing is, I have fallen in love with the SA triggers. So much that I can't shoot the Ruger nearly as accurately as my other two pistols. I honestly shoot the 938 better.

So I've been thinking about getting a .45 for HD anyways. But if I get a 1911, I might want to carry it at some point as well. Wouldn't want to spend more than $600-$700.

Any reliable options?
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Ruger SR1911 great gun for the money. Lots of bells and whistles and quality construction. Remington 1911R1 basic 1911 but has a better sighting system than most GI style 1911's. Remington also has a matched barrel and bushing. Either one is a very accurate and dependable handgun priced between $600-$700.
    "Kimbers are the guns you show your friends, Glocks are the guns you show your enemies."

RIA is the way to go I do say.. Ruger or a Springer are also good but most of them are pushing close to 700 ..

They do make double stack 1911 too ... I think RIA does ... If you looking to keep above 10 round mags on hand .
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Ruger, Remington, RIA.

All good with a lower price point.
    British by birth. American by choice.

With 1911 pattern guns it is very true that you get what you pay for. My recommendation for you is to use the Ruger as trade fodder and get a tier 2 1911 such as a Dan Wesson, Smith and Wesson, Colt VS an entry level gun. Too many people get a tier 3 gun and then get bummed when it does not work out.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

“Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.”
    - H. G. Wells -

RIA is by far the most gun for the money with a lifetime warranty.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

Quote Originally Posted by 40Bob View Post
    With 1911 pattern guns it is very true that you get what you pay for. My recommendation for you is to use the Ruger as trade fodder and get a tier 2 1911 such as a Dan Wesson, Smith and Wesson, Colt VS an entry level gun. Too many people get a tier 3 gun and then get bummed when it does not work out.
    That's not a bad idea. I bought a used s&w 642, traded for a PM9, then sold the PM9 for $525 and bought the P938 for $550.
    gatorbait51 and Bad Bob like this.

I have a fairly nice 1911 (Kimber) that I shoot very well, but for HD I use my Springfield XDm-9. 19+1 capacity is worth more to me in a HD situation than being able to shoot a 2" group from across the house in the dark. If I can hit a pie pan with rapidity of fire point shooting and have 20 rounds on tap before I have to reload, that's my ticket. I love shooting my 1911, but I have other options on hand that fit my particular HD philosophy better. I guess it all depends on HOW much better you shoot the 1911 vs your high capacity alternative. If you can't put shots in a pie pan sized circle COM from 10 yards quickly with it but you can the 1911, then I can understand your rationale. The Kimbers are pushing closer to $900+, but they're great weapons. Worth taking a look at in my opinion. I had a RIA 1911 GI model several years ago and I couldn't hit squat with it. Functioned fine, but never could attain acceptable accuracy with it. The Kimber is dead on.
    gatorbait51 and JDE101 like this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

There are several high capacity pistols by Beretta, Taurus, Sig that are DA/SA and be either kept de-cocked so first round is DA and subsequent rounds are SA, or it could be kept cocked and locked for all SA. I have a Taurus PT92 with 17 round mag I use for HD.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." Alexander Hamilton

Distinguished Life Member NRA
    2AF
    Maryland Shall Issue
    Handgunlaw.us Donor

Quote Originally Posted by HoosierLife View Post
    So to preface, I started shooting about a year ago and carrying about 8 months ago. I currently carry a Sig P938. I have a Ruger SR9c with a 17 round mag with an attached flashlight as my bedside gun and I also have a Browning Hi-Power in 9mm.

The thing is, I have fallen in love with the SA triggers. So much that I can't shoot the Ruger nearly as accurately as my other two pistols. I honestly shoot the 938 better.

So I've been thinking about getting a .45 for HD anyways. But if I get a 1911, I might want to carry it at some point as well. Wouldn't want to spend more than $600-$700.

Any reliable options?
    I'd trust a RIA 2011 model; it's got a rail and night sights, and is in your budget.

As for mag capacity...I don't subscribe to spray and pray; if nine rounds aren't enough, move up to a Wilson or McCormick ten round mag.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Quote Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post
    I'd trust a RIA 2011 model; it's got a rail and night sights, and is in your budget.

As for mag capacity...I don't subscribe to spray and pray; if nine rounds aren't enough, move up to a Wilson or McCormick ten round mag.
    I agree spray and pray is a bad plan. But there may be more than one or two BGs. I prefer to have extra rounds "just in case". I too have 1911s (Sig full size and Ultra compact) and shoot both very accurately. I like the .45 caliber, but for HD prefer 2X + the rounds available. I don't quite see how moving from 9 rounds to 10 is any force multiplier.
    gatorbait51 and BugDude like this.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." Alexander Hamilton

Distinguished Life Member NRA
    2AF
    Maryland Shall Issue
    Handgunlaw.us Donor

Kimber makes a great quality, very accurate and reliable weapon.

I totally recommend buying a better quality 1911. After a short break-in period, there is nothing better. \
    \
    Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    I have a fairly nice 1911 (Kimber) that I shoot very well, but for HD I use my Springfield XDm-9. 19+1 capacity is worth more to me in a HD situation than being able to shoot a 2" group from across the house in the dark. If I can hit a pie pan with rapidity of fire point shooting and have 20 rounds on tap before I have to reload, that's my ticket. I love shooting my 1911, but I have other options on hand that fit my particular HD philosophy better. I guess it all depends on HOW much better you shoot the 1911 vs your high capacity alternative. If you can't put shots in a pie pan sized circle COM from 10 yards quickly with it but you can the 1911, then I can understand your rationale. The Kimbers are pushing closer to $900+, but they're great weapons. Worth taking a look at in my opinion. I had a RIA 1911 GI model several years ago and I couldn't hit squat with it. Functioned fine, but never could attain acceptable accuracy with it. The Kimber is dead on.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

You can find some decent guns in that range. Rock Island, Para Expert, maybe a Springfield GI style, etc. Nothing beats a 1911 for fit, feel, and shooting. There is a Girsan and a Tisas from Turkey that can be purchased. You have to make sure that they are true 1911 specs or many aftermarket upgrade parts may not fit should you decide to tinker. I don't carry one but one is at arms reach in the house most of the time.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

I have 3 RIA 1911's(Compact, Commander & Full size) (as well as a number of High Powers). Any of them would suit your purpose. The CS from Armscor in Pahrump is excellent and I'd reccomend a RIA 1911 anytime .
    gatorbait51 and Bigsteve113 like this.

Distinguished Member Array sonnycrocket's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HoosierLife View Post

Any reliable options?

Id rather protect myself with your SR9 over a 1911..more bullets and a rail w lite would be my choice for bedside weapon
    PAcanis, gatorbait51 and Fitch like this.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links