Need Help! First Conceal Weapon Purchase!!

This is a discussion on Need Help! First Conceal Weapon Purchase!! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello all, I recently got my Concealed Weapons License and doing research as to which 9mm handgun is right for me. I'm 22 years old, ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Need Help! First Conceal Weapon Purchase!!

Need Help! First Conceal Weapon Purchase!!

Hello all,

I recently got my Concealed Weapons License and doing research as to which 9mm handgun is right for me. I'm 22 years old, 6'3 195 pounds. I would be using this weapon for range shooting, in home protection, and carry - self defense. I primarily wear shorts or jeans and normal fit t-shirts when not working.

I have narrowed my selection down to three choices based of reviews I have read.

1. CZ 75 SP-01 2. Baby Eagle 11 BE 9915R and 3. Springfield XDM 9mm or XDS 9mm.

For me the Springfield XDM 9mm is the frontrunner. I like everything I've read about it and the package it comes with for its price is a great value.

My second question is if I go with the Springfield should i go with the XDM or XDS?

Any help ya'll can provide would be much appreciated. This will be my first handgun so I want to make the right decision. I'm hoping you experienced shooters can lead me down the right path.

2. Remove Ads

XDS is a pocket gun very small about 7 -9 round mag .. It is not much of a gun for HD if you ask me .. A great gun for pocket carry ...

If this is your first handgun get a xdm compact 9mm .. And put the full size 19 round mags in it for HD and use the flush mags in it for CC ..

But really if you can shoot a lot of guns first and if you can take them down see what you like .. Trust me on that some guns sound great online till you fire them ..

If you can at least shoot :
    1. XDM 9mm compac if you can
    2. glock 19
    3. M&P compact
    4. Maybe ruger compact

Based on what you says about yourselfe do look at the XDS it is a very good deep carry gun for the pocket and good for the hot summers

Also you will need a dedicated belt for carry used that is stiffen if your are going to carry a double stack gun .. A good holster is a must too dont get some cheep carry all nylon job .. And most people need to wear one -two size larger pants when carrying esp with double stack guns

You may also want to look at gettting a run to the store gun liek the xds or a p3at ( only like 200 bucks for that ) something that you can just thorw in your pocket to run to get milk etc verus having to belt on a gun and all that ..

GOOD LUCK

and safe carrying
    StormRhydr likes this.
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    I am not a lawyer .. Just a dog typing on the internet ..Spelling media apparatus male portatili. Malo me non reprehendo
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

VIP Member
    I thought you were going to ask us for donations. ( help with purchase)

stay safe and I am sure you will make the right decision
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

Distinguished Member Array DingBat's Avatar
    for what it's worth i've heard XD's compared to cheese graters, guys love em, fall in love withthe idea with em, and then carry and shoot em for a while... and dump them for something not as rough.... not everyone, but definately handle it first.

my friend had a baby eagle many moons ago, an all steel one, i liked it more more than i care to admit.
    Beans, Bullets, and Bandages. The only thing better than being ready is not having to use it!

Research, research, research. Don't rely on the just the replies you get to this post. This question has been asked a thousand times on many forums. But at the end of the day, what you choose is a very personal decision based on cost, ergonomics, trigger action, capacity, size/weight, concealability, and very important, how proficient you can become with what you choose. WrongRecroom's advice is very good, but again, do your homework, examine and if possible fire all candidates, and enjoy the journey. Welcome to the community.
    WrongRecroom likes this.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." Alexander Hamilton

Distinguished Life Member NRA
    2AF
    Maryland Shall Issue
    Handgunlaw.us Donor

Quote Originally Posted by MrBuckwheat View Post

stay safe and I am sure you will make the right decision

We can collect donations ? Sign me up !!!!
    Parrisk and scottync like this.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Just to add considr not just the cost of the gun but how much holster are how much ammo is and how much mags are ..

Some mag for some guns are very hard to find and pricy ... The gun may be cheep mags not so much .. Also for some guns you will have to custome order holster for them so that can add up ...

See what is out there for holster and mags pre buying ... You learn that fast trust me ( I have a couple of gun that are going to be a PITA to get a holster for if I ever do)
    BurgerBoy likes this.
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    I am not a lawyer .. Just a dog typing on the internet ..Spelling media apparatus male portatili. Malo me non reprehendo
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Welcome to the forum, and to being a responsible CCer.

AS to the guns you selected, all are good. Personally, I would put the Beretta PX4 Compact 9mm on top of that list, but, with so many guns, you are best to test fire all you can and find what feels best for you.
    redbirddog5 and cjkent like this.
    Nehemiah 4:14: “Don’t be afraid of them. Remember the Lord who is great and awesome, and draw your Beretta PX4 and fight for your brothers, your sons and your daughters, your wives and your homes.” highlighted added by LMP

+ 1 go both the Glock 19, and the M&P Compact 9mm. Id also seriously look at the Glock 26.

Ignoring the Glocks & M&Ps is a serious mistake, IMO. At least if you are looking for the best carry gun, and most dependable ones out there.

If its just for a new range toy, knock youself out, and get any toy you want. Btw, give yourself credit for asking before you buy.

Lots of us didnt ask when we started buying, and learned the hard way, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by MrBuckwheat View Post
    If you are in the contributing mindset, I would like to get a second Beretta, maybe a 92FS?
    DingBat likes this.
    Nehemiah 4:14: “Don’t be afraid of them. Remember the Lord who is great and awesome, and draw your Beretta PX4 and fight for your brothers, your sons and your daughters, your wives and your homes.” highlighted added by LMP

first off, welcome from another O-town refugee. A couple of things to get started......

when carrying concealed the two most important factors:
    1. The length of the grip (a long grip prints like crazy)
    2. The width of the gun (fat guns are hard and uncomfortable to carry...but not impossible)

Also, you live in Florida where the summers and heat and humidity (body sweat) kill the finish on the best of guns. Heavy guns are just no fun to carry in August in Orlando. If all your friends say they do, they are either liars or masochists.

Finding a gun that will suffice for range, home defense and carry is not an easy task. Each gun I own has its own job description....no size fits all.

That being said, all the guns you have mentioned are full size range guns with the exception of the XDs which is a primo carry gun, but does not have the capacity for range or home defense. You might take a look at the following by the same companies if you want to stay within that parameter:

1. CZ P07 Duty - 9mm witht 4" barrel
    CZ P01 9mm - 9mm with 3.8" barrel
    2. Baby Eagle - BE9912BL -smaller polymer version of the gun you listed
    3. SA XD Subcompact or XDm Subcompact 9mm. Both are smaller versions of the gun you listed. The XDs is primarily a carry gun IMO.

..any of the guns I've listed would make a better all round gun for range, home defense and carry with adequate capacity for all.

Good luck.
    sonnycrocket and redbirddog5 like this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Of what you listed I would prefer the Springfield platform. If you can comfortably carry a double stack then the Xdm would be the choice. Otherwise I would go with the XDs in the 4.0 version.

Thanks for all the help everyone! Really appreciate everyone offering up what they've learned. I definitely have a lot more to take into consideration and need to just be patient and make the right choice after firing a good number of the guns listed. Thanks again!
    WrongRecroom and Caertaker like this.

Distinguished Member Array DingBat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LuvMyPX4 View Post
    If you are in the contributing mindset, I would like to get a second Beretta, maybe a 92FS?
    92FS huh? good choice... of ALL the 92 series that's my favorite as well...
    Beans, Bullets, and Bandages. The only thing better than being ready is not having to use it!

Welcome. I like carrying OWB. For that I use a Kahr P9, 8 rounds of 9mm. It is light with a very narrow profile. I also carry...sometimes an Springfield XDSC in .40. Higher capacity, but a very snappy round. If you can rent and try some firearms do so b4 buying. Lighter narrow works best for me.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links