Light set up for my HD 870

This is a discussion on Light set up for my HD 870 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; s1.jpg s2.jpg I'm looking to mount a light for my 870 HD shotgun. Any suggestions?...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Light set up for my HD 870

s1.jpgs2.jpg

I'm looking to mount a light for my 870 HD shotgun. Any suggestions?

Get a magpul forend and a rail section.
    Phaedrus likes this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by superdamian11 View Post
    s1.jpgs2.jpg

I'm looking to mount a light for my 870 HD shotgun. Any suggestions?
    that's easy: Shotgun Forend WeaponLights
    "I plan ahead. That way, I don't have to do anything right now!"

policestuff_2312_759172408.jpg

This looks very functional, but $300.00? Really
    That's almost as much as I paid for the 870

opplanet-eotech-ifl-moss-250-ifl-moss-250-main.jpg

I've been looking around and found this eotec. Seems like a great product.

I have a Beamshot on my Norinco (copy of 870). Rechargeable, clamps to magazine tube. Holds charge a long time.
    Earth is the insane asylum of the universe!

Two things:

#1. Don't cheap out on a shotgun light - especially if you're going to use it for home defense. 12 gauge recoil is not kind to lights. I'd shop for an LED light, probably from Surefire, Insight, or Streamlight. Use a dedicated fore-end mount, or get a chunk of rail and mount a scout light if you prefer that.

#2. Adding a stock to that shotgun will probably make it more useful to you, and recoil more manageable.
    Chuck R. and shockwave like this.

Distinguished Member
    I have a rifle type front and large GR rear sights on mine.
    A little Glo-On applied to the front works well too.
    "Don't shout for help at night, you may wake your neighbors"

I love shooting this shotgun with a pistol grip only. I bought it this way, but do have a stock in case I ever want to put one on it.
    In the off chance I would need to use it for HD, the pistol only grip is much more functional.
    And again, I love shooting it without a stock.

Quote Originally Posted by wsquared View Post
    Two things:

#1. Don't cheap out on a shotgun light - especially if you're going to use it for home defense. 12 gauge recoil is not kind to lights. I'd shop for an LED light, probably from Surefire, Insight, or Streamlight. Use a dedicated fore-end mount, or get a chunk of rail and mount a scout light if you prefer that.

#2. Adding a stock to that shotgun will probably make it more useful to you, and recoil more manageable.

Quote Originally Posted by wsquared View Post
    Two things:

I'm leaning towards the eotech forearm as mentioned above. Just seems a little over priced, but I agree. Not a good idea to cheap out on a HD weapon.

Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar

I've looked at a few setups. I'd prefer to have one on the fore-end so I can activate it from my standard shooting grip when necessary rather than have it on - giving away my position.

Quote Originally Posted by superdamian11 View Post
    I love shooting this shotgun with a pistol grip only. I bought it this way, but do have a stock in case I ever want to put one on it.
    In the off chance I would need to use it for HD, the pistol only grip is much more functional.
    And again, I love shooting it without a stock.
    I'd sign up for a shotgun class, take both stocks with you and see how it's set up at the end of the day. I think you'll find the PG stock isn't more functional, more compact yes, functional no. I've taken 3 classes, and haven't seen one instructor recommend one. I did see a guy show up with one, and he was using a borrowed gun in a couple hours.

I've tried one, it's slower than chit on multiple targets, pretty useless with slug drills at any decent distance, reload drills are harder/slower because you've nothing to press against your shoulder to steady the gun IOT keep it on target and the "fun" wears off after a handful of rounds (at least for me). The configuration has its use like protective details and breaching doors, but for one concealment is the primary concern and for the latter it's not a primary weapon. I can also slide the stock under my arm, maintaining the ability to shoot and give up little OAL to a PG only gun with the same barrel length.

As for lights, I like a rail mounted on the mag tube with a pistol style sight (Like SF X300U) VS. a dedicated light due to the flexibility. As one poster said earlier, shotguns are hard on lights, with the rail, you can take it off quickly for practice. It also allows you to swap back and forth between weapons should something go down. With a dedicated forearm light, should your shotgun crash hard, you've now got a large heavy flashlight until it's repaired, or you find the same model gun. I can move my pistol lights between 6 handguns, two ARs, my FAL and my Benelli in a couple minutes.

Chuck
    Sectionchief and shockwave like this.
    homo homini lupus est

i hold my surefire on the forend with my hand. it works fine. and for $90.
    It's December 1941 in Casablanca, what time is it in New York?

Don't buy the cheapo Walmart clamp on shotgun light holder. I have one. They are junk.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links