glock 26/27 vs a small revolver

This is a discussion on glock 26/27 vs a small revolver within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello Everyone, A little back round since this is my first post, My name is Mike, I am 23 and have been carrying since the ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: glock 26/27 vs a small revolver

Hello Everyone,

A little back round since this is my first post, My name is Mike, I am 23 and have been carrying since the day i turned 21. The only firearm i use for carry right now is my Gen3 G19, i used to have a 26 but sold it due to needing some money. Living in south florida and where i work, i am outside in the heat 5 days a week so i tend to leave the 19 home unless i carry on weekends or keep it in my car which i do not really like to do.

my dilemma is, should i get a glock 26/27 since i already have the gear i can share from my glock 19, or should i get a j frame snubbie or something similiar that i know i will always carry because i can pocket it and how hot it is will not matter. I feel i may end up not carrying the glock 26 as much either since i will still carry it IWB and it will basically feel like the 19.

Another thing ofcourse like always i don't know if i feel comfortable with just 5 shots but looking at my day to day i do not really do much but work and go home just an average joe life basically. So i have assessed my life as low risk but ofcourse we never know when or how it will happen and what we will really need.

So if it were you, would you get the smaller g26 since it will conceal easier than the 19 (it did for me atleast when i had both, the smaller grip was invisible vs the 19 sticking out), or would you get a j frame and always carry it, and just keep the 19 for times when i want more capacity?

Thanks for the advice i have been searching many threads and know it has been discussed before but would like to talk to others on my own about it, i know that they are two different guns all together but i am asking it from the point of always having a gun on me vs still maybe hassling with the same gun i already own just subcompact version.

Thanks
    maxwell97 likes this.

Look at the Sig p938 or Sig P290rs.

The G 26 won't pocket for me.
    You have until 6:00 to leave town.

Break your gun on a stump!

I pocket carry either a Sig P938 or a Springfield Armory XDs-45.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

Sponsor
    Where you already owned a 26, you should be able to decide if that platform is going to work for your needs or not. If you liked the 26 and it would fit your needs, stay with what you already know.

Then by a 5 shooter J frame later as well.
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

I'm not a big believer in pocket carry. For me, the draw is just too slow and it's not the best, especially while sitting. I much prefer appendix carry iwb.

I also live in a hot climate...... The Glock 26 carried aiwb in a kydex holster to me is the perfect carry. Both the pistol and holster are not affected by sweat, dust dirt and carrying in this position makes for easy and quick draw if needed. Plus, you can carry a spare Glock 19 magazine in your weak side pocket giving you at least 26 rounds of 9mm. Much better in my opinion than a 5 shot revolver with a reload.

Guess you probably shouldn't have sold that 26 eh?
    glockcoma likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    I don't think the G26 is noticeably easier to carry than a G19, but that's just IMHO.
    Hakkaa päälle!

Senior Member Array flintlock62's Avatar
    Nothing wrong with a G26 or G27. One thing to note of course is sub compacts have more noticeable recoil than your G19. 9mm is considered by many to be the smallest carry caliber. The shorter the barrel, the slower the bullet.

Revolvers are always more reliable. Ruger LCR in 357 for a pocket revolver, IMO.
    maxwell97 likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Madcap_Magician View Post
    I don't think the G26 is noticeably easier to carry than a G19, but that's just IMHO.
    I find that the shorter grip on the G26 conceals better. There have been moments when I've discovered my shirt tail over the grip of the G19.

I carried a revolver all last summer, and even though it was aluminum framed (S&W 637), the hammer would rust a little under sweaty conditions if I didn't wipe it down every night. The G26 just doesn't care how much you sweat on it, and it has greater capacity.

i owned a sig p938 but sold it i am more of a simple guy and do not care for the safeties. I am leaning towards a G27 but am just on the fence for some reason.

Since i already have a 19 i dont know if i should just get another 9mm so i can use the same mags or up the power a little bit to the .40 for my primary carry. I do not care to get involved with conversion barrels and all that either since i can just use the 19 for my range gun. does the .40 lose alot of power out of the short barrel of the 27 making the difference not that great?

I would get a 442 and a couple speed strips. It's better to have Five shots ready than none. A J-Frame can be carried anytime. Pants pocket, jacket pocket, belly band, thunder wear, in or on the waist. It's a Gun you can always carry. It's a Gun that has served Law Enforcement and Civilians for Decades. It is a Gun you will keep forever weather you carry it everyday or when you can't carry something bigger.
    10thmtn and OldVet like this.

Look at a Shield. It carries much easier IWB than A Glock. I use a cheap Uncle Mikes cloth holster IWB and forget its there.
    GentlemanJim likes this.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

“Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.”
    - H. G. Wells -

I agree with five shots is better than none. In a short barrel, I would want the extra fire power of a 357.

Quote Originally Posted by Haywood View Post
    I would get a 442 and a couple speed strips. It's better to have Five shots ready than none. A J-Frame can be carried anytime. Pants pocket, jacket pocket, belly band, thunder wear, in or on the waist. It's a Gun you can always carry. It's a Gun that has served Law Enforcement and Civilians for Decades. It is a Gun you will keep forever weather you carry it everyday or when you can't carry something bigger.

The shorter a barrel is in any gun, the slower a bullet is going to travel. They just don't have enough length to burn up the powder.

Quote Originally Posted by rdnkmulisha View Post
    Since i already have a 19 i dont know if i should just get another 9mm so i can use the same mags or up the power a little bit to the .40 for my primary carry. I do not care to get involved with conversion barrels and all that either since i can just use the 19 for my range gun. does the .40 lose alot of power out of the short barrel of the 27 making the difference not that great?

135g. Gold Dot JHP has successfully been used by the NYPD in both 2" and 4" Revolvers. It is recorded to have 12 to 14 inches penetration and clothing does not hamper expansion. It's my pick for 38+P Ammo.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links