Trying something new--MAC Bobcut

This is a discussion on Trying something new--MAC Bobcut within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A little preface--I've had great luck with the Philippine produced 1911's; I've owned several RIA's, and have always been impressed with the performance they gave, ...

Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By Cuda66
  • 1 Post By TxTchRR
  • 1 Post By Cuda66
  • 2 Post By OD*
  • 2 Post By WHEC724
  • 1 Post By BadgerMan

Thread: Trying something new--MAC Bobcut

Trying something new--MAC Bobcut

A little preface--I've had great luck with the Philippine produced 1911's; I've owned several RIA's, and have always been impressed with the performance they gave, particularly when compared with their price...I've said many times that they are probably the best value-priced 1911 out there.

So, I'm giving another manufacturer a shot.

Brought it home today.

Out of the box review--

Like any Thrilla from Manila, it's literally dripping oil. I've wiped it down a couple of times, and it's still oozing lube. Better than rust, though...

The trigger--I think is going to be quite nice. It's got very little take up, breaks crisply, though a little heavy (I'd guess 5-6# or so...not horrible), nice reset. Surprisingly, it's not gritty at all like a lot of Philippine pistols. I'll bet that after a 500 round trigger job, the weight will come down a little bit.

Speaking of the trigger--it's got an interesting texture on the face--kinda checkered, but with rectangular cuts, not square. Not sure how it's gonna feel after a long range session...

I kinda like the FO front sight, couple with the white dot, adjustable combat-style rear. The front tube pops quite nicely--at least in daylight. To be honest, though, if this pistol works out and becomes a serious social pistol, they will be replaced by tritium...personal preference.

I've hand cycled a few magazines (and different magazines) worth of snap caps through it, and function is as reliable as can be...even when I pussyfoot and ride the slide shut, no problems at all.

It's got a FLGR, which as I often say is an elegant solution to a nonexistant problem...but I can live with it right now. Since it's a true Commander-length barrel, I can drop in a GI setup later...and probably will.

I like the chainlink style checkering on the front and backstraps. However--why on a blued pistol couldn't they put a blued backstrap on?

The grips have a Kimber Raptor-style texture...not bad.

I could definitely do without the billboard on the slide...I don't know why manufacturers see those beautiful flats and just have to put something on them. but there you are.

All in all, I'm looking forward to taking this one to the range; hopefully it dries up at some point this week and I can give a report.
    Last edited by Cuda66; April 30th, 2014 at 08:36 AM.
    WHEC724 likes this.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

2. Remove Ads

It seems metro arms is busy....Nice peace...
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Subscribed. I've talked myself out of this gun at least 5 times in various LGSes, looking forward to the range report.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

Looks nice. What caliber is setup for?
    Nehemiah 4:14: “Don’t be afraid of them. Remember the Lord who is great and awesome, and draw your Beretta PX4 and fight for your brothers, your sons and your daughters, your wives and your homes.” highlighted added by LMP

Quote Originally Posted by LuvMyPX4 View Post
    Looks nice. What caliber is setup for?
    .45acp; I think that's the only caliber this model is available in.

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

VIP Member
    I'm not familiar with this one. They seem pricey for a Philippine model? Did you get a screaming deal, or is there quality here that we won't find with RIA's, ATI's, etc..?

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    I'm not familiar with this one. They seem pricey for a Philippine model? Did you get a screaming deal, or is there quality here that we won't find with RIA's, ATI's, etc..?
    They're a quality piece. All forged frame and slide, and the MAC models are mildly hand fit. I say "mildly" because I'm not entirely sure how far that hand fitting goes, but certainly farther than other Philippine models. Also includes some of the big boy features like checkering and the obvious beavertail. I'm not sure how much MIM is still present, but I would bet it is less than comparable RIA/ATI/American Classics.
    WHEC724 likes this.

I didn't get a screaming deal, but a decent one.

And as mentioned above...there are a few upgrades over most RIA's. There is definitely less play in this one than with a typical RIA--although one could argue both ways on that one.

I was going back and fourth between this one and a RIA TacII Compact; this one came in a couple hundred more, and I will say, had a much nicer trigger...I figured I'd experiment. If I don't like it, I can chalk it up to experience.

Although after a few hundred dry fires...I think I like it.
    WHEC724 likes this.

OD*
    Looks real good Cuda.

You may already know this, if you do change out FLRG for a GI style, make sure you get the guide rod and cap made specifically for the Commander length.
    Cuda66 and QKShooter like this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

VIP Member
    I don't know why so many manufacturers insist on a FLGR, while the rest of us keep swapping them back to GI's.
    OD* and Cuda66 like this.

I don't know why so many manufacturers insist on a FLGR, while the rest of us keep swapping them back to GI's.
    Maybe they're in cahoots with the whoever's making the replacements we buy.
    Cuda66 likes this.

Links