Revolvers for my Lady?

Revolvers for my Lady?

This is a discussion on Revolvers for my Lady? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; During my weekend shopping with the lady we realized that once safe neighborhood was now full of shady characters. It was probably the first time ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Revolvers for my Lady?

Revolvers for my Lady?

During my weekend shopping with the lady we realized that once safe neighborhood was now full of shady characters. It was probably the first time that my wife admitted the benefit of having a concealed weapon . She blurted out that she wants a nice revolver and asked what were some differences between a revolver and my Shield.
    - able to shoot from a pocket or a purse
    - goes bang every time
    - easy to conceal
    - makes any female a sex symbol
    - and other truths

So...any recommendations for small/pocket .38 special that is able to handle +P?

I thought of Ruger LCR and SP101. Any other good options???

Distinguished Member
    Any Lady that is interested in getting a gun, I'd bring to a range and let her shoot all day. Maybe even buy her two.
    cjkent likes this.
    Nehemiah 4:14: “Don’t be afraid of them. Remember the Lord who is great and awesome, and draw your PX4 & your CZ and fight for your brothers, your sons and your daughters, your wives and your homes.”

NRA Member
    Full Time Firearm Student

Yeah ladysmith or 642 no lock with heavier grips ... Do let her try them first a lot of the very small wheel guns kick hard .. Try soft load ammo ..Fed and Hordnay make light loads.. Put heaiver grips on it ... Pacmayr compacts or houges are very nice .

That said the the LCR or LCRx would be a good bet .. If you are only getting 38s get a X as it has no lock ... The sp are great but def belt guns ..
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

My wife uses a S&W 642, 38 snubbie, takes +P. She likes it. If you can rent one at a range for her to try would be a good idea.

I'm basically trying to get a list of some good ones to try at a range;
    - S&W 642
    - LCR (prefer no exposed hammer)
    - any thoughts on SP101?

Distinguished Member
    Revolver for your lady? Let her pick it out. good luck
    pgrass101 likes this.
    Don't let the facts cloud your judgement
    NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by gregivq View Post
    I'm basically trying to get a list of some good ones to try at a range;
    - S&W 642
    - LCR (prefer no exposed hammer)
    - any thoughts on SP101?
    Sp101 is great gun .. I have tangled with the 2 or 3 inch DAO model and the longer barrel models ... They are good guns but very heavy.. Low reocile and easy to shoot but def need a good holster and belt withe them ..

The 638 or model 49 bodygaurds are nice but harder to find ...
    Paladin3840 likes this.
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

We have an LCR and a SW Model 60LS. My wife prefers the LCR because of the lighter trigger. Both are great guns.

I'll be trying out the LadySmith and if it fits I'll buy that. Currently I have a Sig P238, in the pic, and love it. Easy to rack the slide, I don't notice the recoil but there is some, and the small grips fit my hand perfectly. Whatever you do let her pick it out and buy it as it will then be HER gun.
    ShooterGranny likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by WrongRecroom View Post
    Sp101 is great gun .. I have tangled with the 2 or 3 inch DAO model and the longer barrel models ... They are good guns but very heavy.. Low reocile and easy to shoot but def need a good holster and belt withe them ..

The 638 or model 49 bodygaurds are nice but harder to find ...
    I guess SP101 is out considering the weight. 638 and Bodyguard are now on my list. I doubt model 49 would be easy to find.

My wife picked an S&W 640 Centennial .357 magnum in 1992 and she still carries it.

• Double action snub-nose revolvers have heavy triggers with a very short sight radius so they are harder to shoot and be accurate with at any longer distance.
    • Only the hammerless or concealed hammer revolvers can be shot through a pocket or purse and only as a last resort up close and personal.
    • Pocket lint or other things carried in the pocket or purse can jam a revolver.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

Quote Originally Posted by dhuffman View Post
    I'll be trying out the LadySmith and if it fits I'll buy that. Currently I have a Sig P238, in the pic, and love it. Easy to rack the slide, I don't notice the recoil but there is some, and the small grips fit my hand perfectly. Whatever you do let her pick it out and buy it as it will then be HER gun.
    LadySmith seems very nice and would definitely appeal to my Lady. But it seems rather heavy.

Definitely give the SP101 a whirl.

Its my lady's weapon of choice.

If you go too light - it won't be much fun to shoot. If its not fun, she won't want to practice. If she doesn't practice - then why bother?

The SP101 is a great compromise between size/concealability and shootability.

Plus it looks awesome and is as reliable as the day is long.

Amen.
    Duty is ours, consequences are God's.

- Stonewall Jackson

S&W 642 and plenty of practice.

image.jpg wife has been shooting an carrying her 642 20 years

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links