Is the M&P 40c much harder to carry than the Shield?

This is a discussion on Is the M&P 40c much harder to carry than the Shield? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I currently edc the shield .40 iwb. My friend has a ruger sr40c and I was love shooting that thing as well as my shield ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Is the M&P 40c much harder to carry than the Shield?

I currently edc the shield .40 iwb. My friend has a ruger sr40c and I was love shooting that thing as well as my shield but it holds 3 more rounds and is not much larger. This got me thinking that maybe I should upgrade to the m&p 40c because it is only slightly larger(about .5 longer, .25 wider, and .5 taller.) than my shield but holds 4 more rounds in the standard magazine. Also the slightly larger size makes it slightly easier to shoot even though I don't have any problems shooting the shield. Any thoughts? Opinions? Similar situations?
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    The government should be afraid of their people not the other way around.

Nope, not with a good holster. The 40c is a little wider, and a little longer than the Shield, but can just as easily be concealed. I carry a full size M&P daily with no issues.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Master of the Tactical Back Flip
    Internet Gun Expert

Favorite Planet:
    URANUS

Quote Originally Posted by Hatrix View Post
    Nope, not with a good holster. The 40c is a little wider, and a little longer than the Shield, but can just as easily be concealed. I carry a full size M&P daily with no issues.
    Thanks. I'm starting to think the extra rounds might be worth the extra width.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    The government should be afraid of their people not the other way around.

VIP Member
    I too had an Sr40C and it was my EDC for a long time. After I got my shield, I switched to 9mm and sold it. It was a very concealable gun, very accurate and just generally awesome. I have been considering adding an M&P9C and then I would have the full size spectrum covered, except for the long slide M&P.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

It's really not that much of a difference in width. I think the Shields width is something like .95 while the full size and compacts come in around 1.3

The main issues people usually have with full size guns is Printing. And then the printing is usually due to the length of the handle, not so much it's width. Invest in a good holster, and figure out where it wears best on your body and you won't have any problems.

Like I said, I wear a full size M&P40 daily, IWB at 3 O'clock. Usually just in jeans and a light tee-shirt and the only time you can ever tell I have anything under there is when I might bend down, that's when the end of the handle prints a little.
    gatorbait51 and Remy like this.

Master of the Tactical Back Flip
    Internet Gun Expert

Favorite Planet:
    URANUS

I have both a Shield 9 and an M&P9C. The compact isn't a whole lot harder to carry or conceal than the Shield. it does require a good belt and holster, though. I tend to carry the Shield more.
    Kilowatt3 likes this.

I carry an M&P 40c every day, it's not really that hard to conceal at all with a good belt, and holster. I like the added capacity and it's a sweet shooter for me.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

FWIW, I enjoy shooting the M&P compact more than my Shield just because of the grip width. It's more comfortable for me, especially for extended range time.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I'd go with the M&P40c because IMO, the 40 shield is a little too snappy.
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

VIP Member
    M&P .40 is my EDC right now , i can wear it 12 hours a day and it is a pleasure . I place it in a SHTF holster with ease .
    Member of the NRA
    Keep your booger hook off the bang switch until you want to destroy something .

Distinguished Member Array patri0t's Avatar
    I like my .40 Shield for carry, but have plenty of other choices for the range.
    I tend to lean towards 'some' comfort for carry (weight & width, for me) since I don't shoot many attackers on an annual basis.
    My max carry width is 1.00 inch + a 22oz weight limit.
    Only exception is my G27 in a shoulder rig for long drives. The shorter Grip Lengths are best for concealing, too.
    Retired Deputy- State Trooper (38 long years) 8 yrs RTO - MS Degree- Criminology
    Gun Control measures are Unconstitutional Infringements. Period.
    "...He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one"- Luke 22:36

I'll post this every time this comes up, because it's such a good comparison.

Kennydale likes this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Huskybiker View Post
    I have both a Shield 9 and an M&P9C. The compact isn't a whole lot harder to carry or conceal than the Shield. it does require a good belt and holster, though. I tend to carry the Shield more.
    ^^^ Same here.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society - "Get Heeled! No, really!"
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

I don't know about the 40 shield vs 40c, but I can tell you when you compare the 9c vs 9 shield there's more than just a little difference. That .25 width makes all the difference in the world. Now if the 9c was as thin as the Shield I'd buy one again. LOL
    Joe was right.

[QUOTE=cds0699;3240408]I carry an M&P 40c every day, it's not really that hard to conceal at all with a good belt, and holster. I like the added capacity and it's a sweet shooter for me.

I have to agree here. The 40c is easy to carry in the right holster, i settled on a Milt Sparks VM2.
    I never let schooling interfere with my education. Mark Twain

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links