G23 Aftermarket Barrel

This is a discussion on G23 Aftermarket Barrel within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anyone use a aftermarket barrel in their G23 CCW carry gun or just use the factory G23 barrel....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: G23 Aftermarket Barrel

G23 Aftermarket Barrel

Anyone use a aftermarket barrel in their G23 CCW carry gun or just use the factory G23 barrel.

2. Remove Ads

I use a lonewolf .40 cal barrel in my glock 32 mking it a glock 23. It works great.

By after market you mean storm lake or a conversion barrel?

I would just use stock.. To me the only reason to use a non factory barrel is if your shooting lead reloads or need a comp/threaed one . Even then Glock makes factory threaed barrel..
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    I am not a lawyer .. Just a dog typing on the internet ..Spelling media apparatus male portatili. Malo me non reprehendo
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

You sure can. Storm Lake makes good aftermarket barrels to replace factory ones, and conversion barrels to go from one caliber such as 40cal down to 9mm. Last I saw they were also including the option to get your barrel in stainless or black carbonized/melonite. Have no experience with other makers barrels, but my 40 to 9mm conversion for a full size M&P has worked perfectly in roughly 280 rounds of pratice with both FMJ and HP.

I would have really liked the black barrel, but the only options were buying directly from Storm Lake at full price, or a black one from Cheaper Than Dirt. I'm still kind of irked at CTD after their price gouging last year when they were listing 20rd boxes of PMC Starfire HP for the low low price of $93. So I bought a stainless one from another site. Surprisingly it doesn't look too shabby in the gun either.
    Tactical Junior Senior Instructor Of Advanced Tactics
    The Gecko45 Tactical Academy of Tactical Tactics
    Master of the Tactical Back Flip
    Internet Gun Expert

Quote Originally Posted by WrongRecroom View Post
    By after market you mean storm lake or a conversion barrel?

I would just use stock.. To me the only reason to use a non factory barrel is if your shooting lead reloads or need a comp/threaed one . Even then Glock makes factory threaed barrel..
    Replacing the stock G23 40 S&W for an aftermarket G23 40 S&W barrel.
    Don't need a threaded barrel.

I'd stay stock unless you are looking for caliber conversion.

Storm Lake

Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Senior Member Array Bigsteve113's Avatar
    I periodically use a Lone Wolf conversion to 9 mm barrel in my G23. Zero issues so far !
    “Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.”

― Heraclitus

Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    Storm Lake

That's a nice looking barrel, I have read guy's reaming out the SL 45 acp barrels to 460 Rowland and holding up great.

I have a few of those Storm Lake conversion barrels for my various .40 cal Glocks. They're real shooters. I'd assume their straight factory replacement barrels are the same.

Distinguished Member
    I bought a Lone Wolf 9mm barrel. It was never reliable enough to use for concealed carry so I returned it. These days if I want a different caliber, I just buy a gun in that caliber.
    miller_man likes this.
    The worst thing about growing old is that other men no longer see you as dangerous.

I am thinking of buying a G23 Gen4, however would it be better to purchase and use an aftermarket barrel for more cartridge case support to prevent.....you know........Ka......Booms ??? God Bless

Distinguished Member
    Only time I ever had issues with my G23 was with a LW 9 conversion barrel. Failed to feed and eject - most of the time it was with reloads or steel case crap. But it was enough for me to just get a 19 and move on from conversion barrels.

Don't think I really had any issues with factory ammo, but I wouldn't go aftermarket barrel for CC - just my $0.02.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Quote Originally Posted by VBVAGUY View Post
    I am thinking of buying a G23 Gen4, however would it be better to purchase and use an aftermarket barrel for more cartridge case support to prevent.....you know........Ka......Booms ??? God Bless
    Sooner or later the kaboom gets mentioned. It's less than 1% of Glock 40s (which is a LOT of pistols). If you use good ammo or are a competent reloader, you are more likely to get hit by lightning than have a kaboom. And, kabooms can and do happen in a lot of other pistols and calibers.
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    Sooner or later the kaboom gets mentioned. It's less than 1% of Glock 40s (which is a LOT of pistols). If you use good ammo or are a competent reloader, you are more likely to get hit by lightning than have a kaboom. And, kabooms can and do happen in a lot of other pistols and calibers.
    All it takes is to pick up that one piece of 40 Cal breast that has been shot multiple times and reload it hand wind up with a Kaboom. Is thatthere is just enough to make me want to buy a supported chamber for shooting reloads.
    The $150 price tag on the barrel is well worth it vs damage to the hand, face or body. I have read an extra power striker spring really helps out to, Anything that will prevent an of battery discharge help out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links