Range Report: Sig Sauer P938 SAS

This is a discussion on Range Report: Sig Sauer P938 SAS within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just picked up a brand new Sig P938 SAS as my new EDC. Took her to the range last night for the first time. Here ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By OTB
  • 1 Post By MMinSC
  • 1 Post By redbirddog5
  • 1 Post By wagon

Thread: Range Report: Sig Sauer P938 SAS

Just picked up a brand new Sig P938 SAS as my new EDC. Took her to the range last night for the first time. Here are my thoughts:

Gun is beautiful. Slide rack is like butter. Details of the SAS model are impressive, particularly in the wood grips and slide beveling/smoothing...whatever it's called. Everything is tight and crisp. Magazine release pops the magazine out and the magazine clicks definitively when reseated. Very impressed pre-range.

uploadfromtaptalk1398855668950.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1398855740048.jpg

So tiny! I love it. I have an admitted affinity for tiny guns, so I was thrilled when I finally held this thing. Looks like a dwarf next to my Glock 26. Super easy to conceal. Could pocket carry in half my pants.

uploadfromtaptalk1398855961190.jpg

So, took her to the range last night. Ran 100 rounds of Blazer Brass (115 gr?) and 12 rounds of Remington Golden Saber 147 gr JHPs. Most importantly: 0 FTFeeds, 0 FTFire, and 0 FTExtract.

uploadfromtaptalk1398856426787.jpg

Gun was nice to shoot. Not painful or snappy for such a small piece. I was less accurate than I am with my larger pistols, but I guess that's to be expected. I think it's sighted a couple inches too far right at 10 yds. Going to wait a couple range trips before messing with the sights though...could be a grip issue with the new piece. I tend to fault myself first before the weapon.

Anyways, I'm very pleased with this pistol so far for $700. It's going to be my EDC going forward and I look forward to more fun with her at the range :)
    redbirddog5 and dhuffman like this.
    "Government is like a baby. An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other."
    -- President Ronald Reagan

2. Remove Ads

Nice report. I am planning on adding one to my inventory soon.

Nice report. Great pistol, congrats. I was also surprised at how easy shooting these little guns are. It took me a little bit to become used to the combat sight picture, but after that it has been perfect. Hopefully, shooting to the right is just you and not requiring a sight adjustment. The thin grips and small handle really leave some room for the gun shifting to either side. I did some practice at 20 yards so I could really see the difference between a firm straight grasp and being a little off to either side.
    redbirddog5 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MMinSC View Post
    Hopefully, shooting to the right is just you and not requiring a sight adjustment. The thin grips and small handle really leave some room for the gun shifting to either side.
    My thoughts exactly. Nothing a few range trips can't fix :)

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
    "Government is like a baby. An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other."

Congrats! I love my 938 SAS I got in March. Not a hitch in over 700 rounds. My shots are a little high right, but in my case, I'm certain it's me. I'm having difficulty with my trigger pull/sights on a stationary target as a new shooter. My instructor took 3 shots to check the sights. 3 on the x.....sigh. Oddly, I'm a better shot with a moving target &/or stressors added. Not as much time to anticipate the recoil maybe? Anyway, I hope you continue to enjoy the pistol as much as I am enjoying mine
    MMinSC likes this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by OTB View Post
    Going to wait a couple range trips before messing with the sights though...could be a grip issue with the new piece. I tend to fault myself first before the weapon.
    I am shocked that a shooter would find fault with himself rather than the gun! That's unrealistic! Congrats, and I hope it settles in without tinkering.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Congrats with the very nice new toy! Almost identical to my experience, I have too many subcompacts and compacts - my journey for the 'ultimate' summer gun has been a long, but the P938 seems to have ended my search.

The P938 has replaced (as in SOLD) cm9 and cw9 ..... for the better good (toys) .... such as 10/22 TD and goodies :-)

But .... I am keeping my gen4 G26, I think it still has its place ... After all , I need it to shoot the 33 rounder and those 17 rounders .... I did sell the g19 however, it was replaced by a CZ PCR.

OP - since your 938 has been proven, it would be time to proceed with the one needed mod ($40 value) : Replace the stock trigger with a smooth stainless steel one from Partsproduction.com !

You'll be surprise how well spent is your $40!

VIP Member
    I have the EQ model and its my EDC unless I feel the need for a 45. I agree its worth the price.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

Quote Originally Posted by wagon View Post
    OP - since your 938 has been proven, it would be time to proceed with the one needed mod ($40 value) : Replace the stock trigger with a smooth stainless steel one from Partsproduction.com !

You'll be surprise how well spent is your $40!
    I have been meaning to do that as well.
    Anybody try the Galloway Precision hammer spring? I would like a bit lighter trigger, but do not want to reduce reliability.

I generally avoid making modifications to my guns for a variety of reasons I won't derail this thread with :)

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MMinSC View Post
    I have been meaning to do that as well.
    Anybody try the Galloway Precision hammer spring? I would like a bit lighter trigger, but do not want to reduce reliability.
    Wolff reduced power spring for Colt Mustang is what most used. But after the trigger replacement the pull has smooth out that I don't feel the need to lighten the pull anymore.

I have ordered one from Wolff, still unopened in bag, PM me if you are interested.
    Last edited by wagon; April 30th, 2014 at 07:51 PM.
    MMinSC likes this.

The 938 is my EDC. I love it!

Links