To Trade or Not To Trade? That is the question.

This is a discussion on To Trade or Not To Trade? That is the question. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So, I acquired this sweet custom 1911 a little while ago. Now I'm not much of a semi auto fan, but I sure like this ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree72Likes

Thread: To Trade or Not To Trade? That is the question.

So, I acquired this sweet custom 1911 a little while ago. Now I'm not much of a semi auto fan, but I sure like this one. My dad grew up on the 1911 and has a real soft spot for them. Problem is, I think I just want to get rid of the 1911 in favor of another revolver. But my dad has told me how much he would really love this 1911, but he doesn't really have anything I like. He has also said that I'm not to let the 1911 out of the house. Of what he has, he's got a g27 which I seriously doubt he will let go of, and a astra model a70 I think it is. Now I know that gun ain't worth much, but concidering its my dad. Would you give up a full size custom 1911 for a small 1911 style 9mm. Which I will probably try and trade for a revolver of some kind. I can't just go buy what I want as money is a factor, but I'm trying to make everyone happy. I want another revolver, my dad wants my 1911, what do I do? What would you guys do in that position? Any suggestions?

I would give it to him.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

Senior Member Array palmcoaster's Avatar
    Its your dad, if you have other firearms, give it to him as a gift.

It's your Dad... just give him the gun!

It's the least you can do for all the years he spent raising you!

Master of the Tactical Back Flip
    Internet Gun Expert

Make it a present for him. Call it a "way early father's day present."
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
    I would give it to him.
    ^^^THIS!^^^ I wish my Dad was still alive to give a gun to!
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Quote Originally Posted by Hatrix View Post
    It's your Dad... just give him the gun!

It's the least you can do for all the years he spent raising you!
    +1

Better to give than to receive!!
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. Albert Einstein

"People in Arizona carry guns," said a Chandler police spokesman. "You better be careful about who you are picking on."

I would give it to him, his birthday is coming up soon. But it is my only gun, so giving it to him is a kind no go right now as I have no way, or funds to replace it. And I don't like the idea of not having any gun myself. If I had another gun, then yes I would have just given it to him and not thought twice. But as its my only gun, I would really like to work out some kind of trade so we can both have what we want.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Haywood's Avatar
    Before I gave it to him I would figur out how to get the Revolver. Save up the cash or get a part time job to save cash quicker. Some Shops that I have worked in would let Guys put money down and buy the Gun on Layaway. We had a couple Guys that bought Guns back to back with long running Layaway Acounts. Once you get the Revolver give him the 1911. Tell him if he ever doesn't want it to give you first dibbs.
    msgt/ret and gatorbait51 like this.

Yea, that sounds like what I'll end up doing. Just not going to happen any time soon. But who knows Cupple months from now, I might be in a position to buy myself a revolver. guess I know what I'm going to get him for his birthday this year, coming up in a Cupple months:)
    gatorbait51 and BurgerBoy like this.

Distinguished Member
    What "357and40" said. You won't miss the gun, but someday you will miss your dad. It's the right thing to do.
    Paladin3840, Bad Bob and msgt/ret like this.
    I shoot with a pistol and a Canon. We must all hang together amigos, or we will all hang separately. NRA life member.

Why not tell him you will give him the gun but you need to borrow one of his till you save enough money to get a revolver, and then you will return the borrowed gun to him.
    PEF, Paladin3840, DJC7 and 3 others like this.
    You can get a lot with a smile but you can get a lot more with a smile and a gun...Al Capone

Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth...Mike Tyson

Have a conversation with him. If you don't think he wants to let go of the Glock, ask how attached he is to the Astra. If he's not attached to it, then look at a sale or trade for what you are seeking if he wants the 1911 sooner rather than later. If he's in no hurry for the 1911, then save up enough to get a replacement and give the 1911 to him as others have suggested. I'm sure he would be honored to have that conversation because you are coming to him with the offer of what he wants and asking for his help in finding the best path for both of you to get there. Depending on his personality, he may feel that he could not accept the 1911 without giving something back to you in exchange. If that's the case, you've got an option that covers that with the Astra if he's not attached to it.

I'm confused, you said you want another revolver. To me that means you have one or more already.
    Now you say the 1911 is your only gun. Which is it?
    Are you the revolver guy with no revolvers? Or did you have to sell them due to life.
    If so, I understand.
    Taurahe likes this.

Yep give it to him. And get him a case of ammo to go with it. (I think Ill show my son this thread LOL.)
    sammeow likes this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links