Glock 27 grip straps

This is a discussion on Glock 27 grip straps within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Do you think adding the pinky extension would help with recoil or accuracy? Does the beaver tail back plate help with anything? Just got my ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Glock 27 grip straps

Glock 27 grip straps

Do you think adding the pinky extension would help with recoil or accuracy? Does the beaver tail back plate help with anything?

Just got my gen 4 G27. First 50 rounds are shooting left consistently. Not sure why. My left hand doesn't feel comfortable around my right hand. Not sure if its due to the grip being so short or so big around.

2. Remove Ads

I have grip extensions on my mags for my 27 and they make the gun more comfortable to hold onto and thus easier to control and shoot.
    ShooterGranny likes this.
    You can get a lot with a smile but you can get a lot more with a smile and a gun...Al Capone

Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth...Mike Tyson

I don't notice any difference in accuracy with or without the extensions. But then I shoot it (mine's a 26) a lot, both ways. In fact I have 4 mags. 2 of each and I alternate them while I shoot. The beaver tail is (IMHO) just to make the 1911 guys feel more comfortable and to increase the overall diameter of the grip although any of them do that.

Are you right handed and are most of the shots low left? That will give us some ideas of suggestions. Low left indicates a tendency to jerk" the trigger, anticipating the recoil. If that is the case try dry fire exercises with a coin on your barrel. You have it beat when the coin stays put as you squeeze through the trigger.

Frankly I'm just an average shooter. If Glockman10 chimes in listen VERY closely.
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head

I use the beaver tail and grip extensions exclusively with my G27. I have very large hands and get slide bite with out the grip force. It kinda eliminates one of the benefits of the Glock ie; lower bore axis, but it it what it is. Due to my body type the shorter Glock works better for AIWB, any other carry mode and I carry the full size Glock (with a grip force as well).
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon. Go big or stay on the porch.

The Glock 27 is a hard gun to shoot well. Practice, practice, practice. You get used to it eventually, though it is quite stout in the recoil department and the hump starts to dig into my palm after 50 rounds.

One nice thing, if you can learn to shoot the G27 well, ANY other handgun will be a breeze.
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

Distinguished Member Array Tundra5.7's Avatar
    I personally enjoy shooting the 27 and have found I shoot it best without mag extensions or the backstraps included with my Gen 4. The only changes I have done are Trijicon night sights, a bicycle inner tube over the grip, and a smooth face trigger from a G17.
    "Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

Do it for all your mags. Pierce +1 extension.
    Does nothing for recoil, adds no noticeable length, but adds precious real estate for your pinky... and ... one more round.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    The Glock 27 is a hard gun to shoot well. Practice, practice, practice.
    One nice thing, if you can learn to shoot the G27 well, ANY other handgun will be a breeze.
    Don't most people say that about j frame snubbies?????
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

I'm not a fan of mag extensions on the Glock 26/27. It's added length makes it virtually as large as the Glock 19. If I still had my Glock 27, I would use a GAP floor plate.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Distinguished Member Array Tundra5.7's Avatar
    If I were going to add grip extensions to my G27 I'd go with the GAP's.

G A P H O M E
    "Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

Senior Member Array Bigsteve113's Avatar
    G27's are snappy lil suckers, but don't let ' em fool ya, they are just as accurate as their big brothers. My qualification scores between the G22, 23, and 27 are usually identical. Sometimes the lil ones outshoot the big ones, sometimes vice versa, but there is never much difference than a point or two between any of them.
    40Bob and smolck like this.
    “Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.”

― Heraclitus

I have the medium beavertail backstrap on my Gen 4 G26. I tried it without the beavertail and had worse slide bite than with my G17.

As for the mag extensions, I did get the Pearce PG-26 (+0) extension for one of my mags. The approx. 1/2" extension is just enough to get the pinky on. I've not put very many rounds through my G26 yet, but I seem to shoot it the same with or without the extension. As for drawing from concealment, I haven't noticed a difference either...although I feel more 'sure' with the little extension. I compared a friends G23 to my G26 with the extension (with the same holster and t-shirt, and trying to get the grips to print) regarding concealment/printing, and for me the G26 with the extension concealed noticeably better than the G23. Comparing the flush mag to the extension mag...the flush mag concealed a touch better when bending almost 90 degrees at the waist...I had to really look hard in the mirror to see where the extension was printing. Again...this was for me. Someone with a different build and carry position will have different results.

As smolck said, it is a hard gun to shoot well, but with practice it does come. I don't personally like the grip extensions - make concealment harder and pinch your hand when reloading quickly.

Here's a link to a downloadable correction target that will help you diagnose your problem(s). A good grip and proper trigger control will take care of most of the problems. The .40 is pretty snappy in a small gun so the best thing you can do is work on proper form and then practice.

Free Downloadable Pistol Correction Targets | GunLink Blog

Senior Member Array palmcoaster's Avatar
    I have both the pinky plates and the Xgrip extention with the G23 mag. I prefer the pinky plates due to concealabiltiy. I can "feel" the larger mag in my back but still not a real issue.

It is common for new Glock shooters to shoot to the left. You are putting too much finger on the trigger.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon. Go big or stay on the porch.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links