Finally got to shoot my beautiful birthday present, Taurus PT 1911 AR .38 Super!

This is a discussion on Finally got to shoot my beautiful birthday present, Taurus PT 1911 AR .38 Super! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I gotta say, this beautiful Taurus is easily my favorite hand gun right now. I shot 50 rounds of fmj and about 20 rounds Double ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Finally got to shoot my beautiful birthday present, Taurus PT 1911 AR .38 Super!

Finally got to shoot my beautiful birthday present, Taurus PT 1911 AR .38 Super!

I gotta say, this beautiful Taurus is easily my favorite hand gun right now. I shot 50 rounds of fmj and about 20 rounds Double Tap hollow points and she ate them up like candy. It is so accurate right out of the box, pretty much hits where you aim it. I shot at 7, 10, and 15 yards in an indoor range. I love it more than my G29.

gatorbait51 and kaikane0812 like this.
    Semper Fi til I Die

Glock 29 10mm

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    CDNN has had some mighty tempting prices on the Taurus 1911s, but with the company's reputation of late, I haven't "pulled the trigger." A 1911 in .38 Super is on my Lotto winnings list one way or another. I'm even thinking a 1911 in 9mm, which I already reload.

Nice pick up.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    Good looking shooting iron! Enjoy!
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Distinguished Member Array DingBat's Avatar
    el .38 super?

GATORBAIT!!!

do you want taco's now?
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Beans, Bullets, and Bandages. The only thing better than being ready is not having to use it!

I've read really good reviews on Taurus 1911's, most of the complaints are because of the MIM parts but I can't afford to shoot 2000 rounds like some of these people. You should get it Old Vet, I'm sure you'll love it too!
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Semper Fi til I Die

Glock 29 10mm

Distinguished Member Array DingBat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoofhearted View Post
    I've read really good reviews on Taurus 1911's, most of the complaints are because of the MIM parts but I can't afford to shoot 2000 rounds like some of these people. You should get it Old Vet, I'm sure you'll love it too!
    welder, machinist, and gernal fabricator here...

MIM is meanigless. so tired of this. if you look at MIM parts grain structure compared to "normal" castings... 9 times out of 10 they will be identical... SOMETIMES MIM can create some funky grain structure. but 9 times out of 10 even that funky structure won't affect anything. and 99% of any carbon steel's properties will be governed by the TEMPERING PROCESS. far more can go wrong in temper and far more critical QA is required in Temper. MIM has created a few bad parts, but not any more than any other process,. and again, 99% of the time of their is a defect in metal is going tobe from bad temper and not the process used to cast it. stupid internet mythology. and like most modern manufacturing processes.. MIM is more repeatable. so there is actually LESS rejects...and even tuarus still rejects parts...

even the thousand dollar billet machined slide on the uber race gun STILL is subject to temper. that piece of bar stock it was milled out of didn't grow on a tree. andf considering most steel is this country is recycled nowadays anyway... you don't know if there is a piece of an old file in there making it brittle or what...

MIM just really has very little to do with it...
    40Bob, ejes, Recon1342 and 2 others like this.
    Beans, Bullets, and Bandages. The only thing better than being ready is not having to use it!

Aside from being a Taurus.... Its not my cup of tea with the black and gold, but if it floats your boat sail that ship till she sinks !!!!
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Very nice!!!! 38 super is a hoot
    gatorbait51 likes this.

NICE peice! Take a look around and see if you can locate a 9MM barrel for that puppy! Should drop right in, and then use 9MM mags.......Dual super duper gun!
    I've got a older Colt 9MM commander with a 38 super conversion barel. Works like a charm..
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

A friend of mine has 3 Taurus 1911s - all 3 calibers. They have all been shooters right out of the box. I have shot the .45 and the 9mm - they are as accurate as I can be - which is pretty doggone accurate!

Agree w/Dingbat on MIM.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Duty is ours, consequences are God's.

- Stonewall Jackson

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoofhearted View Post
    I gotta say, this beautiful Taurus is easily my favorite hand gun right now. I shot 50 rounds of fmj and about 20 rounds Double Tap hollow points and she ate them up like candy. It is so accurate right out of the box, pretty much hits where you aim it. I shot at 7, 10, and 15 yards in an indoor range. I love it more than my G29.

Welcome to the Super side ! You'll love your taco shooter . Congrats!
    EN MI VIDA AL MAL NO TEMERÉ, POR QUE EN MI CORAZÓN Y MIS DOS .38 SUPER COLT.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DingBat View Post
    el .38 super?

GATORBAIT!!!

do you want taco's now?
    Ai yi yi, Si Claro
    40Bob likes this.
    EN MI VIDA AL MAL NO TEMERÉ, POR QUE EN MI CORAZÓN Y MIS DOS .38 SUPER COLT.

Quote Originally Posted by DingBat View Post
    ... 99% of any carbon steel's properties will be governed by the TEMPERING PROCESS. far more can go wrong in temper and far more critical QA is required in Temper.
    That's the problem, isn't it? What manufacturers actually manufacturer their own MIM parts and do their own QA/QC? (I'm thinking Colt & H&K...). If a manufacturer buys his MIM parts from abroad (I'm thinking SIG, Kimber ...), what assurance is there that the part was made to spec, that it was tempered correctly? S&W had a striker part made from MIM. They replaced it with a solid metal piece. Does that mean that S&W's MIM process production line was at fault, that it was laid out incorrectly, that it was designed badly, or was it their tempering?

Bad tempering or not, MIM parts have been known to break. Looking at the part there's probably no clue that it has been tempered incorrectly. The only clue is that the MIM part broke. And that's why it gets a bad rap. From what I've read MIM parts will not last as long as billet parts. Now, whether or not someone will fire more than 5000 rounds from their SIG 1911 (sear & dis-connector) before the sharp edges start to dull is the big question. Your Ruger 1911 front sight has sheared off? No, problem, they'll send you a replacement... Glock got a bad rap for their BTFs, didn't they? Was it ever proven that it was the extractor? No. Meanwhile LE departments started dropping Gen 4s from their approval lists. They weren't going to wait it out, they really didn't care whether or not the problem was MIM, all they knew is that it was now an inferior product. Replacing MIM parts on the Glock... - AR15.Com Archive

The big difference between MIM and billet? Billet can break, but you usually have to drop it against a hard surface, whereas MIM can break all by itself.

Are there good MIM parts and bad MIM parts? Probably. How can you tell? You probably can't. It's not like there's some after MIM market manufacturer/seller (unlike Wilson, Baer, EGW, 10-8 Performance, etc.).

Metal Injection Molded Knife Blades

For the last MIM discussion where aircraft MIM parts were mentioned:

I can guarantee you that any parts for certificated aircraft that are made using MIM were designed from the start to be made from MIM. Or have at least gone through substantial engineering analysis to prove that any MIM'ed versions are as good as whatever manufacturing technology they have replaced. The reason MIM has such a bad reputation, is because in many cases it has been used to replicate parts that were originally milled, forged, or cast, without any redesign to take into account the different metallurgical properties that result from using MIM. You can't just interchange manufacturing technologies without re-engineering a design, and expect to always get the same result as before. On the other hand, if a part is properly designed to be made using MIM, there is no reason why it shouldn't work and hold up just fine.
    Glock MIM extractor - Page 3

Engineers and machinists I've talked to have told me that small MIM parts can actually have superior strength to forged or machined-from-billet parts IF the MIM is done properly. The problem is that when it is done to that level, even though it is less expensive, companies will tinker to see how much "less expensive" they can get away with to widen the profit margin. So, the company doing it still has to have some integrity and not become greedy enough to cut manufacturing corners and reduce quality past the point that is acceptable. Where is that point? Well, you can only test so much "in-house, so you don't truly know until those parts are out in the field and being used. As QKShooter correctly eluded to, there was a company back in the 90's that did this and parts did break. It gave MIM a serious stigma that permeates firearms lore to this day, and for all intents and purposes, MIM is really a 4 letter word.
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/...rer-print.html

Good grief, the MIM debate again. Well, I guess it's been a month or two.

Bad tempering or not, MIM parts have been known to break.
    Replace "MIM" with "bar stock" and you have an equally true statement.

For some reason, nobody whines about a conventional firing pin or slide stop breaking, but if it's a MIM part, the interweb commandos jump all over it.

Bar stock - "billet" - machined forgings - cast parts - ALL can break, just like MIM parts. Not all manufacturing processes are appropriate for all applications. In my business (aerospace), we avoid machined forgings for some applications because grain flow is interrupted by the machining, which creates stress risers. In some applications (like those understressed turbine disks in F100 engines powering the F15 fighter), MIM is the best choice. Need a part to hold up under vibration, centrifugal force from spinning at 36,000 rpm and a 2000F flame temperature? Guess what, a casting is your best bet.

Ultimately, for any given part the material, the functional design and the manufacturing process all have to be in harmony to result in a robust product. MIM is one tool in the tool kit. Poorly designed or poorly manufactured, any part is subject to failure, regardless of specific manufacturing process.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Congrats...
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links