My 6 month review of the Bersa BP9cc

This is a discussion on My 6 month review of the Bersa BP9cc within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'll start off by telling you that I am 30 years old, live in Minnesota and have been carrying a concealed firearm for about 12 ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: My 6 month review of the Bersa BP9cc

I'll start off by telling you that I am 30 years old, live in Minnesota and have been carrying a concealed firearm for about 12 months.
    The Bersa was not by first carry gun, that was a Ruger SP101 in .357 magnum; which I really liked, but I wanted a slim 9mm to save on weight and bulk. I picked up my Bersa BP9cc from my LGS for $400 when all the tax was paid, I would've liked to get it for a little less, but I've seen it "selling" at Gander for $480, so I felt okay with it. Upon initial inspection, it wasn't the smoothest feeling gun, the slide spring was, and is tough to rack, not hard for me but my wife has a tough time with it. Disassembly was a little tough at first, but that figured to be operator error, i'm not a fan of the finish of the barrel, and after about 500 rounds I used some 0 steel wool on mine to smooth up the appearance, and I lightly filed the edges of the feed ramp, not sure if it had a difference on performance, but it looks nicer.
    The magazine release is ambidextrous, which felt really stiff for the first 100-200 rounds, but smoothed out recently. There is no external safety, only the Bersa locking feature, which requires a key to activate. I don't carry a round in the chamber because of this, only because the trigger is nice enough to accidentally pull during draw. And speaking of the trigger, I'm a fan, in some of the reviews I had read, the operator complained of pinching between the trigger and guard, I didn't experience it during slow fire, but when emptying the magazine in quick fire, it bit me too.
    The pull is smooth in my opinion, and the reset is fast, way faster than my brother's Ruger LC9, it makes follow up shots a breeze, and the three dot sight picture is easy also easy to pick up. The sights can be replaced directly with Glock rear sights, and Sig fronts (or visa versa i think), either way, I have not made the move yet.
    The first time shooting went perfect, 50 rounds, no problems. The second time was different, while my wife was shooting, she had 3 failure to feed malfunctions. After the second, I noticed she was limp wristing, and once she fixed that it didn't happen again. Then the third time the slide closed shut before the casing was ejected, that never repeated, still figuring operator error. Just don't tell my wife.
    After the initial 200-300 round break-in period recommended by Bersa, I put another 300 through it, for good measure. I'll say this, it has a New York Strip appetite, it won't eat fast food. I put at least 7 different brands through it including: Hornady Critical Duty, Federal Hydra Shok, Hornady Critical Defense, and Hornady Steel Match (steel cased JHP), all of these function flawlessly. Target ammo is a different story. Winchester white box produced a few failure to fire malfunctions, but say what you want about the white box. Federal Premium FMJ never had any issues, and that accounted for most of the ammo this gun has seen. Tul ammo, ugh...two magazines (16rounds), 12 failure to fire malfunctions. I wanted to see if it was ammo, or gun, so I loaded my CZ75B with a magazine and it ate all 16 rounds, so my take is cheap rounds are made of cheap components, and the CZ is a workhorse. Enough said.
    So after about 6 months, and about 700 rounds I thought I should share my opinion. Overall I really like the gun, I know, I know its still a Bersa, but its fun to shoot, hits what I aim at, and I love the quick reset on the trigger, and its light enough for comfortable carry.
    The bottom line is: Do I trust my life with it? The answer is yes. I'm positive the early malfunctions were related to cheap ammo, and the weak but forgiving hands, of my beautiful wife.
    With regular cleanings, a little steel wool, and shooting my carry ammo every few weeks its served flawlessly. Carry guns are meant to be fired and memorized, I've put in a lot of range time with this gun, and I will continue to do with this, and any other gun I choose to carry. I think that's just good business.

Other guns I'm interested in are: bolt-action rifles, magnum revolvers, lever guns, 1911's, and other full frame autos, and I recently switched out my 870 magnum for a Savage 220.

Thanks for the review. Many folks are quite happy with their Bersa's
    Keep practicing.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

I've had my eye on the BP9cc ever since they came out, but have had a Taurus PT709 for 5 years. Figured I didn't need another single stack 9mm. But now, after 4200+ rounds through my PT709 without any failures of any kind, the recoil spring broke. My fault, should have replaced sooner for a small gun. Problem is Taurus is on a 6-8 week backorder for these assemblies...and no one else carries them or aftermarkets (it is a captive spring set up). Again, my fault for not having a spare or two on hand a long time ago. So, I'm thinking about buying another PT709 and have two, or just an excuse to pick up a BP9cc. Lesson learned for me is keep some spare parts handy for things that wear out easy, like springs. Also, when buying a gun, consider the availability of parts from either the manufacturer or after market suppliers.

Good report, thanks for sharing!!!
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Senior Member Array SigIsTheAnswer's Avatar
    Or......an initial hey guys I joe smuckatelli would have worked. I owned a Bersa 383-A for a short while. Not bad. Anyways, welcome to the forum.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Sig Sauer P516, Sig Sauer P229 Scorpion ,Sig Sauer M11-A1 TB, Beretta PX4 Storm compact, FN Five SeveN 5.7, Glock 30 Gen 3
    Glock 26 Gen 4

Semper Fi USMC 0341/8152 2003-2007
    Army National Guard 11C 2009-2014

Nice report.... But I would rethink not carrying a round in the chamber. You can only hope to have time to rack the slide if you should ever need your we pin, but to each their own. Glad to hear it is working out got you.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

I went to the BERSA website and their list of parts for the Bersa BP9CC looks like you can buy everything for it, and the parts are cheap. The recoil spring and guide rod assembly is $8 and it is in stock. All of the parts are in stock. You can buy a whole new frame for $80. This may be my next purchase!!!
    DJC7 likes this.

Yeah, I saw that too.
    If you do get one, I hope it treats you well!
    gatorbait51 likes this.

BP9CC is an excellent shooter with outstanding ergonomics. I'll put mine up against any single stack 9mm out today.

thanks for the report and welcome to the forum from Orlando.
    Pukindog12, DJC7 and gatorbait51 like this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Thanks zonk!
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Senior Member Array elmacgyver0's Avatar
    I prefer the Bersa Thunder9 Ultra Compact Pro. 13+1 capacity. You can buy a 40cal barrel and slide from Bersa and have a switch caliber pistol. I guess too many people were doing this so they doubled the price of the slide and barrel.
    gatorbait51 and Pukindog12 like this.

I've got an older Bersa Thunder 9 ultra compact that I bought used from a forum member here...I love that gun!!!
    Pukindog12 and gatorbait51 like this.

Love my BP9CC!
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    ”One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them.”
    ~Thomas Jefferson

"Carry your gun - it's a lighter burden than regret."
    ~Breda

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    This may be my next purchase!!!
    Do it!
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    ”One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them.”
    ~Thomas Jefferson

"Carry your gun - it's a lighter burden than regret."
    ~Breda

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    Bersa's have garnered a good reputation as quality firearms with a relatively low price point. I liked my thunder and have considered a bp9cc. Thanks for the review.
    Pukindog12 likes this.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

Good write up. I really liked my BP9CC a lot, although I dd eventually sell it, but only because 1) I liked my Beretta Nano just slightly more and 2) my sister liked the Bersa much more than the Nano. She wanted a smaller, modern single stack 9mm so I made her a good deal on it. But I did tell her straight up that she needed to practice with it before she relied on it. In my hands it was 100% reliable with about 1,000 rounds down range. But my sister would sometime induce limp wrist failures towards the end of a long shooting session due to her not shooting much and not being very strong.

I found the Bersa to be a good shooter and very easy to carry. The only things I didn't really like were the lock and the high price of spare mags. I would never use the lock so for me it's one more thing to break or fail (although it never has). Mags are around $50 each and it seems no one else makes them besides Bersa.

However, I would be totally confident in CCW that Bersa now.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links