4" or 5" XD45 grip chop?

4" or 5" XD45 grip chop?

This is a discussion on 4" or 5" XD45 grip chop? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Not really wanted to steal this thread (reasons for the chop are in this thread): http://combatcarry.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=18942 I'm about to modify an XD45's height down to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4" or 5" XD45 grip chop?

4" or 5" XD45 grip chop?

Not really wanted to steal this thread (reasons for the chop are in this thread):

http://combatcarry.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=18942

I'm about to modify an XD45's height down to ~4.6" (XD9/40's height). The question is, should I do the chop on a 4" or a 5" model? Or better worded... What you guys think are the pros/cons in going for the "government" vs the "commander" slide lenght/sight radius?

Any suggestions/comments welcome.

Here's a link to the XD catalog so you can see the different lenghts (pgs. 9 & 11 on PDF doc):

http://www.springfield-armory.com/XDcatalog.pdf

duhhhh

I own both the XD40SC and the 4" XD45C. the only difference between the two is the 45 has a 1 inch longer barrel and their is a quarter of an inch in the height of the grip.

steve

Personally I like the service size better for carry over the tactical.
    If I get cranky It's because the VA is changing my meds again.
    NRA and DAV life member.
    1911Auto

Lead Moderator
    Service size is my choice too. Too long and thick of barrel will give away a bulge below the belt.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by stolivar View Post
    the only difference between the two is the 45 has a 1 inch longer barrel and their is a quarter of an inch in the height of the grip.
    There's actually about a 1/2" difference on the height of the gun (4.55" vs 5.1"), what to me is the hardest part to conceal on a handgun. That 1/2" height difference could be compared with CCing a G23 vs a G27 w/ scherer grip extension (the G23 prints more due to the longer height). Final cut could go lower, say 4.45" (height of a G30 w/9round mag), or even lower than that - if I can find a mag extension for the mags I'll modify/make sure no internal operating parts get messed with.

What I'm more concerned with is the lenght of the sight radius (is longer better for faster target acquisition?) and the slide's lenght while CCing OWB at 3.5 o'clock (is longer worst when sitting in car/restaurant booth/office chair/etc?).

PS - I deleted the original reply because it didn't make sense.
    Last edited by cagueits; January 4th, 2007 at 10:16 PM. Reason: Punctuation

I did this to a Glock 17 back in 1990, and it is still my EDC. I believe if I were to do it to an XD, I'd go with the 5" because with a smaller grip, recoil control becomes more of an issue.
    Now, I will admit that I have not yet fired an XD .45, so this is theoretical on my part.

Lead Moderator
    When sitting the end of the barrel will print more. Perhaps try a gun in the gun store to see what length will work best.
    Recoil and sight radius might make the extra " worth it.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by cagueits View Post
    Not really wanted to steal this thread (reasons for the chop are in this thread):

http://combatcarry.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=18942

I'm about to modify an XD45's height down to ~4.6" (XD9/40's height).
    I would recommend against this, as you will need the mags for the XD45Compact, and it is taller than the 4.6" you stated. You could find yourself slamming the mag into place too hard and breaking the ejector, not to mention the mag will stick out the end of the grip, negating cutting the grip down shorter than the 45Compact mag. Just cut a XD45Service down to the Compact height (which is 5.1") and save the headache.

Well I wear long polo shirts, so standing I don't see a problem with. Now sitting... theres the question.

I used to carry a G23 on a Safariland 328 (open bottom); the 5" XD is about 1 1/4" longer than the G23, so that means the XD sticks out of the bottom of the holster about 3/4 to 1" (not that big of a difference). I stuck the G23 mag loader at the end of the holster, then holstered the unloaded G23 (mag holder stuck out about 2" [1" longer than what the XD would stick out]). No print/sitting issues at the bottom so far, will try at a restaurant tomorrow in one of those cushy booth seats.

I've given some consideration to the ejector issue. The mag (either the normal or compact) will be cut and re-shaped too (since is metal is more malleable than plastic). Now, I've taken a look at the XD's exploded view, and it looks just like a Glock. Glockers have been using the full size mags on the smaller guns (without plastic sleves) with no big issues (I assume because the mag catch on the mag well stops the magazine from going any further up and making some serious damage - I would have to look at the XD when I start doing the cutting to see if that is the case). As a precaution I could add some plastic resin adhesive to the standard mag sleve of the reloads to increase its height, then mold it with a dremel and paint it when I'm done.

Gary, do you find it easier/faster to get a sight picture on your... umm G17 chop, than on a G19 or a G26 (talking about sight radius)?

I have no problems carrying my 45 Tactical.
    Keep your powder dry

duh

If you look at the mag on the 45 the only difference in height on mine is the bottom plate...... exactly 5/32 taller only.... I just messured it

here is the picture http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/st7331/my_photos

steve

try this

If the first one does not work
    Attached Images

stolivar, I can't argue the measurements no more since you have both guns in front of you and I'm going with the measurements on the SA's website - wich was just redesigned today into a Flash site and all the measurements are different from yesterday.

New measurements on SA's Flash website are: XD45C = 5" high (old 5.1"), and XD9/40SC = 4.75" high (old 4.55"), so there is in fact a difference of just 1/4" per the website - I stand corrected. You say there's 5/32", so I'll take your word for it until I get a hold of a an SC for measurement.

Thanks for the pictures though, they give me something to work with until I can get a hold of a real XD - what seems to be yet another FFL to FFL transfer ($100+ in PR).

Since SA can't get their act together on the measuring tape, could you give me the height for the XD45 and the XD40SC?

Thumbs up measurements

From the top of the rear sight to the bottom of the mag is 4.75 on the XD40SC. The XD45C is 5" from the top of the rear sight to the bottom of the mag.

I just measured it from my tape measure.

steve

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links