Walther P99c

Walther P99c

This is a discussion on Walther P99c within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I previously posted a thread indicating that I was planning to buy a 9mm semi-automatic to compliment my S&W 38sp. J frame revolver. I asked ...

Thread: Walther P99c

Walther P99c

I previously posted a thread indicating that I was planning to buy a 9mm semi-automatic to compliment my S&W 38sp. J frame revolver. I asked for feedback on several different guns I was considering and got very helpful input, for which I am grateful.

I have decided to add the Walther P99c to my list and would again appreciate feedback from members who actually own or have owned this gun. I am interested in your experience in terms of: reliability, accuracy, comfort in shooting(recoil), safety, ease of carry, and any thing else you can tell me about the gun that might be helpful.

I know that everyone has their favorite(s) gun, and that I can get almost as many different opinions as there are members of the Forum. But, in this thread I am only asking for responses from folks who own or have owned the P99c.

Thanks.

Ron

Assistant Administrator
    Hi Ron ... well let as assume that my SW99c (an AS) is in effect the P99 - I regard them as same. Mine is 9mm.

I bought mine on a whim 2 or three years ago and like it enormously. The only reason it is not EDC is I prefer my big 226. I did tho take it with me last April when visiting Tulsa - it was more convenient re its size for carry in baggage etc - just for carry when I could.

I was amazed early on by accuracy and shooting comfort - very nice to shoot. I added the largest palm swell piece onto mine and tho pic doesn't show it - mostly use the extended mags which gives nice pinky support - my hands are quite large.

My only downside - and have overcome that - was ergonomics. Mag release is odd and takes getting used to - but perfectly functional - and decocker is a bit odd up on top rear left - again easy to adapt.

Despite not using it much it is for a keeper all being well - very handy piece.

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I do not own one but I have a very good friend who does own one. He owns the Walther P99c and he loves it.

I have shot his quite a number of times and I can say that I really like it too. It is very accurate for a compact and the recoil was very manageable. I attribute this to the low bore axis. It is quite pleasant to shoot in fact.

The grip is very ergonomic and with the 3 interchangeable back straps it is even easier to have the perfect grip.

The only draw back for me was the fact that Walther got rid of the particular action type that I wanted (don't remember which it was now) and that was why I did not buy one. They were a little pricey when I was considering one too but I still would have spent the money. I liked it that much.

I think you would be very happy with it.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

VIP Member
    Excellent, albeit underappreciated, gun....most folks immediate think "Glock 26/27" in the subcompact, "hi-cap," polymer 9mm/.40 S&W....I think "Walther P99C."

It's thin for it's category, lightweight, reliably takes full-size (12 rd in .40 and 15 or 16 rds in 9mm) magazines, accurate, and has a great trigger pull (at least in the "Anti Stress" DA/SA/Short SA trigger variant). I love my P99c AS.

At least three things turn people off: the decocker on the top of the slide (easy to access with the weakhand thumb), the SA/short SA trigger (easy to get used to....at least for me), and the push-down magazine release lever (which allows..for me at least...very quick magazine reloads by using my shooting hand middle finger to do the work without having to shift the gun in my hand at all).

Walther currently imports a Glock-like trigger version, the Quick Action (P99c QA)...Walther's iteration of this type of trigger is good, but I prefer the AS-triggered guns....but don't get me wrong here, they are good guns with this trigger...just as accurate and easy to control; I have a full-sized .40 (2004 P99QA Titanium with the light rail).

I believe Walther is going to (or already is) import the P99c AS again into the US....Walther stopped importing the AS guns I believe last year. The newer guns also have an elongated magazine release which makes for even faster reloads.

Add to the above features, the user interchangeable backstraps and sights (you can buy night sights and install them yourself!) and you have one sweet gun.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Senior Member Array torrejon224's Avatar
    Have a German made P99c with the AS trigger I got when they first came out and it is my favorite 9mm. Usually it's a backup to my 1911 but at times I carry it solo loaded with 124+P Federal HST's. Only change made was I put night sights on it!

Thanks, guys. Very helpful feedback.The AS trigger is now available, which is what I am considering.

Ron

srfl said it all. I've been using a P99 AS 40S&W as a daily carry since 2000.

+1
    Common Sense, the rarest of all senses

Quote Originally Posted by srfl View Post
    Excellent, albeit underappreciated, gun....most folks immediate think "Glock 26/27" in the subcompact, "hi-cap," polymer 9mm/.40 S&W....I think "Walther P99C."

It's thin for it's category, lightweight, reliably takes full-size (12 rd in .40 and 15 or 16 rds in 9mm) magazines, accurate, and has a great trigger pull (at least in the "Anti Stress" DA/SA/Short SA trigger variant). I love my P99c AS.

At least three things turn people off: the decocker on the top of the slide (easy to access with the weakhand thumb), the SA/short SA trigger (easy to get used to....at least for me), and the push-down magazine release lever (which allows..for me at least...very quick magazine reloads by using my shooting hand middle finger to do the work without having to shift the gun in my hand at all).

Walther currently imports a Glock-like trigger version, the Quick Action (P99c QA)...Walther's iteration of this type of trigger is good, but I prefer the AS-triggered guns....but don't get me wrong here, they are good guns with this trigger...just as accurate and easy to control; I have a full-sized .40 (2004 P99QA Titanium with the light rail).

I believe Walther is going to (or already is) import the P99c AS again into the US....Walther stopped importing the AS guns I believe last year. The newer guns also have an elongated magazine release which makes for even faster reloads.

Add to the above features, the user interchangeable backstraps and sights (you can buy night sights and install them yourself!) and you have one sweet gun.
    Maybe you can answer a question or two for me about the AS trigger. It is my understanding that when you rack the slide and chamber a round you also cock the striker. Since there is no manuel safety, is the first pull of the trigger long as a safety measure? If not, then are you not then carrying a pistol that is cocked but not locked with a safety? Also, when would you use the decocker? If you decocked after you first racked the slide, what is the effect? Can you still pull the trigger and shoot the round in the chamber, but with a DA pull, or will the trigger not pull? I guess that I am not sure about what the purpose is of the decocker, and am a bit confused about how the AS trigger works in general. Can I trouble you to give me a brief explnation of how that trigger works? Thanks.

Ron

Assistant Administrator
    Ron - I'll add my 2c on this ..........

Once a round is chambered, yes striker is cocked - but really think of it as analagous to a hammer... and so in that mode trigger pull would be SA then and right thru a mag' full.

So - you have the classic DA/SA options whereby for carry you decock, and then first pull will be the longer travel DA - followed of course then by SA follow-ups. This is the prime purpose IMO of your decock option, and I'd never carry without decocking.

Like most, including my SIG - the amount of trugger action required for that first DA pull is long enough that IMO anyways - you have a very adequate safety aspect. I find these days that when I draw and shoot, I hardly notice that first longer pull any more and then settle into easy SA action.
    Chris - P95

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    Ron - I'll add my 2c on this ..........

Once a round is chambered, yes striker is cocked - but really think of it as analagous to a hammer... and so in that mode trigger pull would be SA then and right thru a mag' full.

So - you have the classic DA/SA options whereby for carry you decock, and then first pull will be the longer travel DA - followed of course then by SA follow-ups. This is the prime purpose IMO of your decock option, and I'd never carry without decocking.

Like most, including my SIG - the amount of trugger action required for that first DA pull is long enough that IMO anyways - you have a very adequate safety aspect. I find these days that when I draw and shoot, I hardly notice that first longer pull any more and then settle into easy SA action.
    Chris,

Thanks for a very clear explanation. Just so I make sure I have understood. When you rack a round, if you don't decock then you are carrying a cocked gun with a round chambered, and the trigger action would be a light SA pull. If you decock, it is not like a safety where with the safety on you can't pull the trigger, but rather it makes the first pull it into a longer DA type trigger pull, with subsequent pulls for the rest of the magazine SA. Is this correct?

Ron

Assistant Administrator
    Yes - carry after chambering without decocking - indeed you are carrying SA and so far from safe.

After decock (there is usually a blocking mechanism to allow that to happen safely, tho naturally point gun safe as per rule #2) ...... you will have no safety blocking on the trigger - it reverts to regular DA pull for first shot. You are correct.

Because it is going to set a striker rather than heave a hammer back - it is not too bad of a poundage - just longer.
    Chris - P95

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    Yes - carry after chambering without decocking - indeed you are carrying SA and so far from safe.

After decock (there is usually a blocking mechanism to allow that to happen safely, tho naturally point gun safe as per rule #2) ...... you will have no safety blocking on the trigger - it reverts to regular DA pull for first shot. You are correct.

Because it is going to set a striker rather than heave a hammer back - it is not too bad of a poundage - just longer.
    Got it, Chris. Thanks.

Ron

Ditto on everything P95Carry has said. I have a P99 AS 9mm and really enjoy it. I conceal carry mine quite a bit. I have been thinking of getting a P99c AS 9mm in addition (That's how much I like the Walther P99/P99c AS 9mm line of pistols). The AS (DA/SA) trigger system is pretty sweet. I never tried the newer QA (Glock like) trigger system yet though. Like others have mentioned, the mag release can take a little bit of getting used to, but not a problem in my option. I highly recommend the Walther P99/P99c AS series of pistols.

Links