new guy looking for advice

This is a discussion on new guy looking for advice within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I wanted a Springfield xdm 45 I bought the 4.5 because the 3.8 seemed small in my hand where as the 4.5 seemed to fit ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: new guy looking for advice

new guy looking for advice

I wanted a Springfield xdm 45

I bought the 4.5 because the 3.8 seemed small in my hand where as the 4.5 seemed to fit now I know with the extended mag in the 3.8 it would be the same grip size bug I don't want to always need to have that one to fit better

Is it that much harder to conceal the 4.5? Or do you think I should have went with the 3.8 an got use to the smaller feeling an by small I mean my pinky hung under the grip not sure if it is normal or if I made the right choice

2. Remove Ads

You made a choice, see how it works out for you. Just because someone on the internet says something else is better, it may not be for YOU!
    If you dress properly for the gun you are carrying, you can probably carry almost anything comfortably.

BTW - Welcome to the forum!

Get ready for more conflicting advice than you will know what to do with.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

First, welcome to the forum.
    Second, there are many things to consider besides pistol size. Your body size, weight, height, etc.
    A proper gun belt and a good holster also make all the difference in concealing.
    Good luck in your quest.
    Buckeye63 and 5lima30ret like this.

Welcome to the forum.
    In my experience, the length of barrel is an issue in some carry positions.
    But a bigger factor overall is thickness of the grip.
    I usually carry at the 6 o'clock position, anything longer than a 3.25" barrel touches whatever I sit on.
    Appendix carry, 2 o'clock , can be uncomfortable sitting if the barrel is pointed straight down.
    So look at different holsters. Some actually put the pistol above the belt, others deeper.

Welcome aboard from Orygun! If you can dress around the gun, you can carry most anything. OWB with an un-tucked shirt works best for me carrying a 5" 19111.
    40Bob and TheRevolverGuy like this.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

It's all up to what you are comfortable with. I owned an XDM compact that I carried for a while and I could carry the XDM 4.5 inside the same holsters (hybrid IWB). I took the 4.5 out a few times, but it's not something I would have wanted to carry regularly. It can be done, it's just dependent on you. I own a Glock 17 and 19 and have similarly taken the 17 out a few times, but it mostly sits at home compared to the 19. If you really like the platform, you can always try to add the XDM 3.8 compact which can then share magazines, holsters, etc with the full size.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    This should get interesting.
    5lima30ret likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Welcome to the forum....carry what you can shoot....

With a OWB holster and some foward cant you can carry big gun and still hide it under an untucked shirt, it just depends on what you're comfortable carrying

VIP Member
    welcome and you should be fine, maybe over time you will add to your collection
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

If you buy the perfect carry piece the first time, you will have less excuses to buy more guns later. Enjoy what you bought, you don't have to have only one carry gun for all seasons, all dress, and all occaisions.
    redbirddog5 and rwponline like this.

Welcome from SC.
    AS many have said on here, what you are comfortable with is what is important. You have to trust that gun to do what you bought it for. Where there is a will, there is a way.
    If you are happy with the gun, start finding how to best carry it. Many people here will tell you that they went through a few holsters to find the right one.
    It takes time, and experimenting, but in the end, it is worth it. (even if you didn't buy a Beretta)
    redbirddog5 likes this.
    Nehemiah 4:14: “Don’t be afraid of them. Remember the Lord who is great and awesome, and draw your Beretta PX4 and fight for your brothers, your sons and your daughters, your wives and your homes.” highlighted added by LMP

As I've stated many times, I like to carry duty-sized guns. I shoot them better under stress and think they may be a little more reliable, all things being equal. I've found it's not slide/barrel length, but the circumference AND length of the grip that is a challenge to concealment. You may find that's what dictates which clothing changes you'll need to make when carrying your XDM...a good choice. ENjoy.

Welcome to the forum from Tennessee.

Awesome great advice keep it coming

I am 6 feet 3 inches about 195 so I'm not sure how hard to conceal it would be

But I do want a iwb holster compared to own

I was looking at alien gear but I don't want to wait 6 weeks

Can you recommend any iwb holster that fits the 4.5 ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links