Taurus model 85UL

Taurus model 85UL

This is a discussion on Taurus model 85UL within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Upon researching I can only find threads that are years old and no recent threads and experience with this revolver.... So I am just curious ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Taurus model 85UL

Taurus model 85UL

Upon researching I can only find threads that are years old and no recent threads and experience with this revolver....

So I am just curious how the quality control of these revolvers has been recently, do they still have a bad rep or is this a good respectable snubbie these days?

I know it is no S&W but I can get one brand new for a great price to use as the pocket gun I have been looking for (explained in my other thread).

Thanks for the help everyone

I have one and have had it for years. My experience with it has been great. Reliable for sure. I would give it an A+.

Never heard anything bad from my buddy about his Taurus snubbie and he carries it daily and shoots it often. If you can get it at a good price go fir it, but like with all guns, run a couple hundred rounds through it before you commit to carrying it. That should give it ample time to reveal any issues it may have.

Master of the Tactical Back Flip
    Internet Gun Expert

Good to hear, a lot of the threads that were older were pretty much 50/50 but a lot of people bashing the name and saying how quality control is horrible. I am just looking for something reliable for when it is too hot to carry the glock 19.. I was leaning towards a glock 27 but this Taurus snubbie has my attention.

TRX
    I carry an 85 Ultralite. It's about 3 years old. No problems.

It's not an heirloom you'll save for your first grandchild, but my pair have done yeoman's duty for a long time. It'll do until you can get the snub you want.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Wife and I went looking for a snubbie a few months ago, and we checked at 4 from Taurus at the same store (an 85UL, two 85's, and a 605). The trigger on one of the 85s was almost unusable (stacked so bad it felt broken), the other 85 was strangely stagey. The 85UL trigger was not bad, but frame was very soft and had quite a bit of wear just from handling. The 605 had a good trigger and seemed solid, but the action was gritty from the grit blasting when it was finished.

This is a very limited sample, but it seems to substantiate the QA concerns. We actually ended up getting the 605, and the trigger cleaned up nicely once I detail stripped it and got the grit out of it. I did take some burrs off and dehorned it a bit, and was surprised at how soft the stainless was.

I have no complaints about the accuracy or the reliability to date (about 300 rounds through it so far), and the wife and I were both very pleasantly surprised at how much more comfortable it was to shoot after replacing the rubber grips with polished wood ones.

I have had one for years, shoot it often, carry it sometimes and never had a single problem, great little gun.

IF it's a Taurus 85, 605 or 617 .... you will hear nothing negative about them. If you do, it's probably because they tried to use it as a hammer and pounded rocks with them. Good and reliable guns. No issues I've ever heard of about any of those 3, but have heard a lot of good from those that have had them , and have / do own them myself.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Had one back last fall I bought new. Went 10 rounds and locked up. Took the side plate off. Trigger assembly was full of metal shavings from the manufacturing process.
    Blew all that out, relubed it and put the plate back on.

It was 100 percent after that through lord knows how many dry firings and live firings right up to the point I got rid of it. Wife was going to EDC it, but I couldnt get that lock up out of a revolver out of my head and got rid of it. Not bashing it. Once it was cleaned out it was good to go. I just had a mental block against it after that.
    Buckeye63 likes this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

I have the 32 H&R magnum version of the 85 ultra lite (Model 731). It has been great. Smooth trigger, cylinder advances every time, no lock ups. It have had no issues with it.

I had one since May 2012. I didn't carry it a lot because of the limited capacity. But, I did carry it when I needed deep conceal. I put about 200 rounds through it. Last month at the range (thank God) the trigger/cylinder locked up on me. I cleared it and started up again and the lock up repeated. Then, I was able to replicate it during dry fire. It was a Davidson's weapon so they took it back and gave me a credit which I used for a Smitty 642. I never knew what actually caused the problem. I am not knowledgable enough to take it apart. It worked stellar up to that point and I was accurate with it.

Anyway, I have a Taurus 85 View on order when they come out. No other revolver compares to the View concept for deep, deep conceal so I am willing to try again. It will only be a Davidson's because of their Guaranteed program.
    Carpe Diem
    "Winter Is Coming"

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    Out of the Taurus line-up the Mod 85 tend to have fewer problems than the others. That being said if you need CS, good luck! There is another thread here recently addressing that. Just curious what is a Taurus Mod 85 UL going for? The LCR's can be had for in $399-$425 range. Hope that helps you!
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

I can get the Taurus for 325. Should I just get the lcr and call it a day since the ruger has proven itself?? It seems Taurus still is 50/50. Or should I just get a smith j frame and have their internal lock issue in back of my mind

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links