1st J frame 638

1st J frame 638

This is a discussion on 1st J frame 638 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; 1st wheel gun from an auto guy. 4 months to get the little snubbie, but i love it already and haven't even shot it yet. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree67Likes

Thread: 1st J frame 638

1st J frame 638

1st wheel gun from an auto guy. 4 months to get the little snubbie, but i love it already and haven't even shot it yet. Range on Sunday. Fits my hand perfectly.
    IMG_0001-003.JPGIMG_0002-003.JPGIMG_0003-003.JPGIMG_0004-003.JPGIMG_0005-002.JPG
    I carry a gun because a policeman is to heavy.
    M&P 40 FS
    M&P 40c
    S&W 638
    Ruger Security Six
    Ruger Speed Six

Nice looking pistol. I've got a SW442 that I wear weak-side in a Panther IWB. Fun guns to shoot 'a little'.
    ginzo and gatorbait51 like this.

You'll love it...everybody needs at least one J-frame, and the humpbacks are my favorite. One of the most versatile guns you'll ever own.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Distinguished Member
    That was my first snub and remains my favorite. It's with me more than all the rest put together. Mine is beat and the finish is worn. I don't care. Good for you.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

My 638 is my favorite pocket carry. Your gonna love that gun!

Light, solid, single or double action, easy to conceal, .38 cal... Nice choice, I'd add pac grips...just my preference. Enjoy!

Congrats! I'm hoping to add one of these to my collection soon, also.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    ...there is no arguing with such snivelling puppies, who allow superiors to kick them about deck at pleasure.

Captain Bellamy

Great gun! The 638 was my first carry gun and still the one I have with me most of the time. I added CT laser grips and really like them. I just recently bought an older Model 49, which is the all-steel predecessor to the 638. I like the hump-back style and the possibility of a SA shot, which I have used. It is a very versatile j-frame. Be warned: you will want others! Enjoy!

Enjoy your "hump back". I have a 649 SS ... love at first sight for me. Is your Airweight restricted to jacketed
    bullets only? Nice revolver. Shoot lots and enjoy.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Haywood's Avatar
    J-Frames are the best most reliable pocket gun there is. You might find a equal but, you won't find one better.

Sponsor
    I'd remove the lock on any J frame I owned [ though I own nothing but "no lock" smiths ]. There have been rare instances where when firing, they lock up and it will require a trip to the smith to get it back to operational when it happens. That's not going to be good for your health if it does that while defending yourself.

Nice piece, but nothing I'd trust with the lock, JMHO
    10thmtn, ginzo and gatorbait51 like this.
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Distinguished Member
    The correct way of saying it is, My first J-Frame of many. :) I have had over a dozen so far. My favorite is the S&W 340PD. At 11 oz. it is ery easy to carry. The only model I have not bought is the one you did. I almost did but found the hammer a little too difficult for my bad hands to cock and that was the only reasons I wanted it. I would not worry about removing the lock. Someone reports a case or two out of a few hundred thousand guns and all of a sudden it is a big problem despite it being fixed by S&W. 10 years from now there will be post talking about how they have bad internal locks because someone read a post from the past. :) I only worry about the likely things that are possible rather than the unlikely simply because they are possible. I have a greater chance of being attacked by a shark at the beach than a bad lock on my gun and yet I do not carry shark repellent. I like the lock because when I visit people with kids and use their pool, I like to unload my gun and lock it so that the kids cannot load and use it if they somehow find where it is hidden. I also lock it when rough housing with my nephews and nieces on the floor. It allows me to keep my gun on me an be safe. The no safety crowd reminds of the no seat belt crowd when seat belts first came out. There were horror stories about people being trapped in their burning cars, etc. and it was not manly to wear one. Now we know better. We know that seat belts and the sometimes dangerous air bags, save a lot more lives that they lose.

From what I see on gun forums, if you want to hang with the cool kids, you have to get a J-frame with no lock to be considered "in". Not many want to buy something that does not have peer approval and acceptance. :) Don't worry about it. The best thing about j-frames is that they are all metal and can be used as a club if needed. Try that with an LCP some day. :)
    maxwell97, Haywood, ginzo and 2 others like this.
    The chief danger in life is that you may take too many precautions. - Alfred Adler

Sponsor
    From what I see on gun forums, if you want to hang with the cool kids, you have to get a J-frame with no lock to be considered "in". Not many want to buy something that does not have peer approval and acceptance

I'm above ground for having forethought and erring on the side of caution, got nothing to do with peer pressure or hanging with "cool". It's about reducing risk in the fact of evidence that suggests it's happened in the past. Buying a no lock or having one with the lock deactivated reduces risk of repeat performance. No more or less for me personally. If I wanted to look cool, maybe the 3100.00 Ed Brown would be carried, or perhaps the Coonan 357 1911, but a J frame no lock being cool? All that would show me is the carrier has some sense of the potential from reading about others [ though rare ] problems with the lock seizing the gun.
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Love my 438
    Attached Images

Big fan of the 638. It was my first pocket sized gun, and still one of my favorites to carry. Enjoy!
    Mike
    I will rarely post, but will read (and hopefully learn) a lot

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links