Thin conceal grips for a Smitty 642?

This is a discussion on Thin conceal grips for a Smitty 642? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am looking for some ultra thin grips to replace the factory rubber one on my S&W 642. There are grips available everywhere and some ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Thin conceal grips for a Smitty 642?

I am looking for some ultra thin grips to replace the factory rubber one on my S&W 642. There are grips available everywhere and some gorgeous ones at that but I haven't found any that give dimensions nor advertise as thin/slim for deep conceal. Can any of you 642ers recommend a grip that would be considered slim/thin? I am onto this because I want to thigh carry this revolver and eliminate the need/want of a Taurus View. Thanks!
    Carpe Diem
    "Winter Is Coming"

Eagle Grips Secret Service..
    It Is Easy To Be Brave From A Distance ~ Aesop

VIP Member
    I have found Ahrend's boot grips to be slightly thinner than the rubber grips, and they conceal very well. You can get them from Top Gun w/tung oil finish, or Brownells with poly finish for about 20 bucks less. But the poly finish feels like plastic.

Firearm.Fan.Girl likes this.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

image.jpg the cocobolos from gemini work extremely well, not a fan of rubber grips for cc they stick to clothing to much for me.

Thanks all! I checked the Eagle Grip site and the Eagle panel grips look interesting. They appear minimalist. Either those or the Secret Service.

Gun Grips | S&W Ebony Panels J Frame Rnd. Bu - S&W J Frame round Butt Ebony Wood Panels Smooth | Gun Grips
    Carpe Diem
    "Winter Is Coming"

You can change the look and the feel but I doubt you can find much in the way of "ultra thin" that will improve concealability over what you have with the stock rubber grip.
    Here's a thumbnail pic of my 438 with the S&W Service Grip. This has a thin profile but doesn't improve concealment over the stock rubber grip that came with the gun. For me the issue with a J Frame revolver isn't how to better conceal it but rather how to better shoot it.
    Attached Images
    Firearm.Fan.Girl and sensei2 like this.

Those appear minimalist also. I like them. When carrying in a thigh holster I'll take every micro inch I can, else it will make my thigh look fat! j/k
    Carpe Diem
    "Winter Is Coming"

I switched my 442 grips out to a set of old original S&W j-frame wooden grips...it feels consistent with all of my older j-frames now.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

VIP Member
    I'm assuming your going to be carrying inner thigh. I think you'd probably want to go with the smooth grips. Checkered, especially if it is aggressive checkering could chaff.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Firearm.Fan.Girl View Post
    Those appear minimalist also. I like them. When carrying in a thigh holster I'll take every micro inch I can, else it will make my thigh look fat! j/k
    Heaven forbid!!

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    I'm assuming your going to be carrying inner thigh. I think you'd probably want to go with the smooth grips. Checkered, especially if it is aggressive checkering could chaff.
    Yup, inner. Didn't think of the chaffing. (Or, snags to the hose. ) Back to the Eagle panels.
    Carpe Diem
    "Winter Is Coming"

Senior Member Array royal barnes's Avatar
    Ahrends and don't look back. P.S. The only way to get the Gemini's mentioned is to send your gun to them for their carry treatment.

Quote Originally Posted by Pointblank View Post
    Eagle Grips Secret Service..
    Thanks, Pointblank, for the lead on Eagle Grips! I spoke with Bill this morning and they can make this set of pearl panels in black. He says they are smaller in width and depth than the stock rubber ones. And, if I don't like them I can return them. I am very happy to say I can eliminate the need for the Taurus View and can concentrate on finding a Smitty 617 10-shot!

Gun Grips | Premium Grips for S&W J Frame Ro - Ultra Imitation Pearl Grips for the S&W J Frame Round Butt. | Gun Grips

I'll post a pic when I get them on.
    Carpe Diem
    "Winter Is Coming"

I have a 642 with no lock also that I carry. I use a barami hip grip. Been using these for over thirty years...lightweight and smooth. I also have a charter arms j frame size lightweight pistol with stock wooden grips.
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

You could try something like these or with Tyler T-Grip CIMG0175.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links