Which Glock 30?

Which Glock 30?

This is a discussion on Which Glock 30? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have decided to save for a Glock 30 for the 4th of July. I am just trying to decide which version to get, the ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Which Glock 30?

Which Glock 30?

I have decided to save for a Glock 30 for the 4th of July. I am just trying to decide which version to get, the gen 4, the 30 SF, or the 30 S. Your input is welcome, especially if you own any of these models. Thank you.
    BenGoodLuck likes this.

The SF is the one the feels the best ergonomically for me.
    los and accessbob like this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

VIP Member
    30s is a wonderful firearm shot 150 rounds today ( 1st time ) and it was a good session .

One thing i do not like on it is the trigger it is serrated and will wear on your finger . I am going to see if i can get it changed out for a smooth trigger . That .45 is a powerhouse of a gun i shot 230 gr. winchester ammo .
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    I have a 3rd gen G30. I think the 4th gen, with its back straps, would be a better fit for most. I've handled the SF model and really didn't notice a difference, but that is just me. It may feel better or worse to you. I've looked at the 30S and don't get it. The difference in size is only the slide, that difference is minimal, and yet the frame is still the size of the 30SF. Slides aren't hard to conceal, frames are, so...?

Handle all versions, shoot them if you can, and one of them will sing out to you.
    10thmtn and BenGoodLuck like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

I'm getting the 30 soon! The heavier slide is supposed to make the gun shoot better and easier to follow up shots
    That's just what I've been told! I can see the physics behind that too! Mike.
    10thmtn likes this.

Hold each to see what feels best....for me, the 30SF. Very happy.
    Bigmac31391, los and BenGoodLuck like this.

Distinguished Member Array Tundra5.7's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigmac31391 View Post
    I'm getting the 30 soon! The heavier slide is supposed to make the gun shoot better and easier to follow up shots
    That's just what I've been told! I can see the physics behind that too! Mike.
    Two ways a man can look at it. I have read the slide on the 30S cycles a bit faster than the 30. With good shooting technique, follow up shots with the 30S could theoretically be quicker.

I have owned a Gen 4 G30 and a 30S. I prefer the 30S and wound up selling the Gen 4 model. I shot it just as well as the Gen 4 model and it carried better for me.

The 30S also fits some(not all) holsters that are designed for the Glock 19/23. In fact, I have a SHTF hybrid for my G27 that the 30S rides very nicely in.

Try to find a store that has all three and make a decision from there. It will be hard to make a bad decision.
    "Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

Distinguished Member
    When I faced a similar choice I went with the 30SF. It fit my hand much better. It was recommended to me by two of my LEO friends. it was also the best shooting Glock I ever owned. However, my preference is al metal guns with hammers and either SA or DA/SA triggers. It is just what I am used to and feel comfortable with.
    los and BenGoodLuck like this.
    The chief danger in life is that you may take too many precautions. - Alfred Adler

If I didn't already have a G30SF that I dearly love, I would go with the 30S. The slide of the G30 is wide enough to land small aircraft
    and makes it not so comfy carrying IWB. The 30S solves that issue. I also have a G36 and have swapped out the slide on my G30SF. It fits and functions
    great on the G30 which is all that a G30 is.....a G36 slide on a G30 frame. Also, the G30S will fit in most holsters for the G19/23/32.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Until I bought my 30s all my Glocks were Gen4. I didn't know if I would like the grip but it is growing on me. Fits well in my hand and shoots very nice.

I am not sure about holster compatibility but it does fit in my kydex owb holster designed for a G19.
    "Only the Sith deal in absolutes."

"My dog is smarter than your honor student."

I'd have the 30SF...the 3rd Gen......feels great in the hand.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

The 30sf felt the best for me and that is why I bought it. I am pleased with this gun.

Problems, problems, problems. After all these years you'd think they could make a gun that didn't make it so damn confusin!
    ironmike86 and BenGoodLuck like this.
    You can get a lot with a smile but you can get a lot more with a smile and a gun...Al Capone

Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth...Mike Tyson

The G30 is the fat one. The G30 sf is the smaller grip one ~5/16-3/8 inside to outside of the handle width. Not thickness. The G30s is the G30sf Gen 3 with a ~1/4 thinner slide =G36. The G30 Gen 4 is a SF with no back straps and you can make it like the original with the back straps. I haven't compared the shooting but I doubt there much recoil difference with 3 oz difference. IMO more of a mind set. Just like saying the G30s shoots faster because its lighter. maybe they do? Like I said I haven't compared. I compared a Gen4 30 and a G30s. I left with the G30s. Why? Dunno ..The G30s is thinner makes me think it will be easier to edc. Most likely doesn't matter. All the G30s' are good depends on your hand size. JMO
    Aphdmansoc likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Tundra5.7's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ironmike86 View Post
    The G30 is the fat one. The G30 sf is the smaller grip one ~5/16-3/8 inside to outside of the handle width. Not thickness. The G30s is the G30sf Gen 3 with a ~1/4 thinner slide =G36. The G30 Gen 4 is a SF with no back straps and you can make it like the original with the back straps. I haven't compared the shooting but I doubt there much recoil difference with 3 oz difference. IMO more of a mind set. Just like saying the G30s shoots faster because its lighter. maybe they do? Like I said I haven't compared. I compared a Gen4 30 and a G30s. I left with the G30s. Why? Dunno ..The G30s is thinner makes me think it will be easier to edc. Most likely doesn't matter. All the G30s' are good depends on your hand size. JMO
    I found the G30S was in fact easier to edc than my Gen 4 G30....at least I told myself that. I actually find there is not much noticeable difference between my 27 and 30S when using a good holster and a Wilderness Instructor's Belt.
    ironmike86 likes this.
    "Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links