I was never a fan of micro 380's but now I am looking: Kahr cw380 or Taurus TCP

This is a discussion on I was never a fan of micro 380's but now I am looking: Kahr cw380 or Taurus TCP within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am a fan of sub compact 9mm. I carry either my Shield 9am or my XDS 9mm. I love them both. They disappear in ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: I was never a fan of micro 380's but now I am looking: Kahr cw380 or Taurus TCP

I am a fan of sub compact 9mm. I carry either my Shield 9am or my XDS 9mm. I love them both. They disappear in my IWB. However, with summer on the way, I would love to have the option to pocket carry. I have a decision between two: Kahr cw380 or Taurus TCP. Here is my dilemma. I am attracted to the low price of the TCP but leary of the reputation and reliability of Taurus. However, I have read many good reviews of of the TCP. I did have a Kahr cm9 before I sold it to buy my Xds. I did like the Kahr trigger. However, I have also read some mixed reviews of the Kahr. The Kahr is about $120 more. As a reminder this will not be my main carry. Just want the option. Any opinions on this matter?

9 mm is so much more effective that it seems no longer worthwhile to carry one in light of the small 9mm pistols out there. Get a high quality holster. You can pocket carry a kahr pm9 with no problem.
    The Marshmallowist

I was also considering the same guns you have mentioned. I bought the CW380 and have never looked back. It has been a great gun and disappears in your pocket.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2
    drewski1325, Texron and brianc843 like this.

Distinguished Member
    I've been all over that road and settled on a snubbie in my pocket. I cannot tell how easy it's been over these last few years without the pocket semi issues. Yeah, it's not quite as easily done but wow, it just works. Do what you like but please do check out some of the snubbie related threads here. A 38 that will always run, yes w only 5 rounds that will for sure fire, beats a pocket 380 or 9 with more capacity that might work out OK.
    deadsexy likes this.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Glock 42?
    StormRhydr and FlaRon like this.

I carried my 642 for years...but now its in the safe...and the TCP is in my pocket....

glock 42 is close in size of my shield....I can pocket the shield in cargo shorts but is still a little bigger than I would like for pocket carry. I have pocket carried my shield in an Alabama pocket holster. Still would like the option of something smaller for those occasions. I hated the trigger on the LCP and the Body Guard. Love the Sig p238 but not willing to put the money down on a gun that is not my primary carry.

How was the break in period? The only reason I got rid of our Kahr cm9 was that my wife had a hard time racking the slide. She now carries a xds most of the time and I get stuck with the shield which is not a bad option. I also have a Glock 19 that used to carry more in the winter but now has become or Home Defense Gun in our Bedroom in quick release gun vault.

How has the TCP been running for you?

My Kahr CW380 has been very good. The only hiccup was one stove pipe in the first 75 rounds. It shoots very well and I love how it fits in my hand. The takedown is my least favorite feature and the spring is tight especially in the beginning. It has been a good experience, some have not been as lucky. Another issue to consider with micro 380s is that the maybe ammo sensitive.

I can provide you anything on the Taurus. I know it has a lot of people who love it as well. If you can shoot one or the other before buying, that would help. For the Kahr, you can shoot a P380 if ranges do not offer the CW380. They're essentially the same gun, just one with less hand machining and frills.
    koosh0122 likes this.
    Kahr CW380, Kahr P9, Walther P99AS

Khar 380 and for that matter any khar are iffy .. Either you get a good one or your dont .. 380 seem to have more issues .. TCP are nice as they have last round hold open ..

That all said .. I have owned most if not all the mordern pocket 380s save thouse two.. I have owend p3at keltecs ,42 glocks , bodyguards ,lcps you name it ..

As odd as it sounds I liked the p3at over the lcp .. I was able to hang onto it better and trust me that is a gun that hides oh so well .. But it is truly a point blank range only sit .. I like the look of the new BG 380s as well .. I have the old school model .. Nice smoth gun but not a fan of the laser ..

Khars I do own in 9mm.. A bit trciky to take down and some have issues some dont ..

Do look at the XDS though pocket gun and a bit more omp ..

That said most of the time my carry gun is either 32 or 380 ..

Here are some I have tried 2F24A2F6-2AC7-4661-9C34-04AB74685277_zps4ganyjrk.jpg2013-06-16 15.47.47.jpg2014-02-15 17.11.04.jpgCCE92B8C-45D4-42CD-9B32-8577F9512760_zps8m7dy9ct.jpg
    koosh0122 and StormRhydr like this.
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

I wont own many Khars as I have had hit or miss isseus with them..

I wont own TCP due to the internal locks .. I just wont buy guns with IL
    StormRhydr likes this.
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

LCP
    ritepath likes this.

VIP Member
    I have a P380 on order from the factory, and anticipate having it in a couple weeks. With the instructor discount, I am getting it for a very good price. I'll be posting my results with it some time after receiving it.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Distinguished Member
    Try the new M&P Bodyguard. I bought one for the same reason you want one. After 100 rounds of assorted ammo with no problems, I plan on carrying it soon. It is the old Bodyguard minus the laser and with the slide cut like the rest of the M&P Line. I like Kahr guns but the slides are them are tough to rack and with their .380, even harder. I am getting older by the day and have arthritis so I am aware of things like this.
    zonker1986 likes this.
    The chief danger in life is that you may take too many precautions. - Alfred Adler

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links