Glock 42 in pocket

Glock 42 in pocket

This is a discussion on Glock 42 in pocket within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm not interested in a caliber war but have a genuine safety question. I have an SR9C as my edc I recently purchased a Glock ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Glock 42 in pocket

Glock 42 in pocket

I'm not interested in a caliber war but have a genuine safety question. I have an SR9C as my edc I recently purchased a Glock 42 for when I must dress in a manner that only pocket gun will work. I like the size of it, the ease of shooting, the trigger, and it does fit my pockets I picked the G42 as it felt good in my hands, shoots quite accurately and I love the trigger. BUT, that is my fear. With no safety, but the (to me) light trigger pull is it safe to carry in a holster in the pocket with one in the chamber?

I have been carrying it cocked, with the chamber empty just to see if the trigger would get pulled by accident with putting in and taking out of the pocket. So far, so good. Again, please, I know keep the finger off the trigger, but I am nervous with no safety and the trigger not being a long pull such as double action.

Any thoughts? I tried some of the other 380 and 9mm pocket guns but did not like the feel as much. I would feel safer with a DA trigger but wasn't comfortable with the shooting of them, thus my dilemma.

By the way, it is a very accurate shooter at 21ft.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

As long as it's in a good pocket holster that covers the trigger guard then you have nothing to worry about.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

I love Tiberius/Maggie.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    As long as it's in a good pocket holster that covers the trigger guard then you have nothing to worry about.
    +1 on that
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Great pocket weapon, will serve you well
    gatorbait51 and NewportReds like this.

Glock 42 in pocket

OP: see you suggesting that you intend to pocket carry the 42 WITHOUT a holster?

As long as you have a holster which can cover the trigger, you would be a-o-k.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member
    As already said, however you carry... keep the trigger covered! There's lot's of good pocket holster makers out there.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by danv View Post
    I have been carrying it cocked, with the chamber empty just to see if the trigger would get pulled by accident with putting in and taking out of the pocket.
    WHAT? Would someone please explain to me how you carry a Glock "cocked"??????
    Aphdmansoc and farsidefan1 like this.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterGranny View Post
    WHAT? Would someone please explain to me how you carry a Glock "cocked"??????
    Maybe it's a male.

I know it's just me, but I cann't fit a G42, Shield, or LC9 in my pockets.
    Cargo pants maybe, but not in dockers.

Distinguished Member
    Plus a bunch for using a good pocket holster. I pocket carry frequently but I follow 2 rules without exception.

1 Always use a pocket holster that covers the trigger.
    2 Never have anything else in that pocket. You don't want to be trying to find your way past the weapon to get your keys or something. You might end up having to "un conceal" to get at what you need.

Cocked? I suspect he means that he has racked the slide so the trigger will go click on an empty chamber if he accidentally pulled the trigger
    Last edited by farsidefan1; May 4th, 2014 at 12:36 AM. Reason: theory on use of term cocked.
    dondavis3 and Thumper like this.
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head

+1 on the holster....

Wait till you find out that all those great pocket holsters ain't so great!

You'll be lucky to find a few that don't come out with the gun when you draw your weapon.
    You can get a lot with a smile but you can get a lot more with a smile and a gun...Al Capone

Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth...Mike Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by Aphdmansoc View Post
    Wait till you find out that all those great pocket holsters ain't so great!

You'll be lucky to find a few that don't come out with the gun when you draw your weapon.
    I've never had a pocket holster come out with the gun. Make sure it's a true pocket holster - not just a small holster. I have found that the shape of a pocket holster holds it in the pocket quite well, but I'm sure that depends on the pocket and the person. If it is a problem for someone, I recommend a Remora pocket holster which is made out of a "sticky" material that adds to the security in addition to the shape. I agree with everyone else - as long as the trigger is covered in a good holster, pocket carry is quite safe. Just be sure you don't let your finger touch the trigger as it comes out of the holster. Keep your finger extended along the frame until the muzzle is pointing at the target.

And by the way, danv, the Glock is double action only. Racking the slide only "half cocks" a Glock. Pulling the trigger does two things - it completes the cocking and then releases the striker - thus double action. There is no way to fire a Glock single action. Also, racking the slide does shorten the trigger pull on a 1911, but not on a Glock. It still has to move all the way from the front to the back. Look at the position of your trigger, rack the slide, look again. The trigger is in the same position. The only way the trigger movement is shortened is when after firing a round, you only release the trigger to the reset point, but even then, you still need the 5.5 pounds of pressure (or whatever your setup happens to require) and it is still finishing the cocking process and releasing the striker - double action. The Glock trigger pull is lighter than a 1911 firing double action, but significantly heavier than a 1911 firing single action.
    ShooterGranny likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nutrodoc View Post
    Also, racking the slide does shorten the trigger pull on a 1911, but not on a Glock. It still has to move all the way from the front to the back. Look at the position of your trigger, rack the slide, look again. The trigger is in the same position. The only way the trigger movement is shortened is when after firing a round, you only release the trigger to the reset point, but even then, you still need the 5.5 pounds of pressure (or whatever your setup happens to require) and it is still finishing the cocking process and releasing the striker - double action. The Glock trigger pull is lighter than a 1911 firing double action, but significantly heavier than a 1911 firing single action.
    What 1911 model are you referring to that is double action? 1911s are single action. There was the colt double eagle, and para makes their lda model, but both deviate quite far from the normal 1911 design.

Back on topic - OP, a proper pocket holster and carrying ONLY the gun in its holster in your pocket is key.

+1 on the holster. But no one should carry anything if they aren't completely familiar with how the pistol functions mechanically.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." Alexander Hamilton

Distinguished Life Member NRA
    2AF
    Maryland Shall Issue
    Handgunlaw.us Donor

The pocket holster is what makes some of these so called pocket guns (think G26 or Shield) not really pocket guns. I know it's not necessary but I still carry my LCP in a pocket holster. I wouldn't feel comfortable dropping any striker fired pistol in my pocket without a holster, unless it had a manual safety.

With your 42 in a holster and chambered as you stated you should be GTG.
    Joe was right.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links