Ruger GP100 Prices

Ruger GP100 Prices

This is a discussion on Ruger GP100 Prices within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was wondering if folks had an idea what a used Ruger GP100 is going for in your area. There's a used one at Cabela's ...

Like Tree11Likes
  • 3 Post By voodoo304
  • 1 Post By BigJon10125
  • 1 Post By Hulley
  • 2 Post By BobcatSig
  • 3 Post By RETSUPT99
  • 1 Post By Bigsteve113

Thread: Ruger GP100 Prices

Ruger GP100 Prices

I was wondering if folks had an idea what a used Ruger GP100 is going for in your area. There's a used one at Cabela's here with the box, 2 speed loaders, and a speed loader pouch. 4 inch blued version with stock grips. The only wear was minor around the crown. $530 for that.

They also have a 6 inch stainless with the wood insert grips, no accessories for $500.

I'd primarily be using it for hiking (back up bear deterrent), so I'm leaning towards the 4 inch. But I also want something I can load .38 Special in for my better half. She doesn't like my striker fire pistols.

I'm mostly decided, but if I could get the approval of some random internet folks that I'm not getting hosed I'd feel a little better about dropping the cash right now.

The only other GP100s I've seen around town lately are stainless 4 inch models and if I can find one they are going for about $650.

As this is my first revolver (other than my percussion cap revolver), I'm not sure what exactly to look for. Ruger's have an internal lock under the grip, correct? And are these as failure prone as I've heard the Smith & Wessons can be?

I am currently wading through some old posts here but was hoping this thread would attract some responses as well. Thanks in advance for all of your help folks!

To my undrstanding ( and why I have the gp) the only rugers with IL are the LCR and some of the I think the new blackhawks ... They are very well build guns so as long as there is not too much play in the cylinders it should be ok https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B6Fh.../edit?hl=en_US is helpfull

And even with the IL lock rugers I have not heard much issus with them..

The price is ok .. I have seem them mostly around there a little lower or higher but 500 or so is ok I think ...
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

I saw a new GP 3" Wiley Clapp yesterday for $675.
    But for hiking Id go with the SP101 and save the extra weight.
    The LCR is the only one with the internal lock that I'm aware of (could be wrong), but it doesn't cause near the issues that the S&W has.
    cthruit, Bigsteve113 and Hulley like this.

The gp100 do not have internal locks to my knowledge. I have a 6" stainless that is a great gun. 38s are soft shooting is it is so heavy. Check gunbroker and gunsamerica for price comparisons.
    WrongRecroom likes this.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

I bought my GP100 4" SS last year for $597 OTD new. Used prices for same model were within $50 so Idecided to go new. I knew I was going to keep it forever so the little extra I paid was not even worth while. For a hiking gun I would probably go with a 3" SP101 or 3" GP100, the SP101 is a boat load lighter than the GP.
    voodoo304 likes this.
    I carry a .357mag because no one bickers about the .357mag being "enough".

A used Gp100 is hens teeth in this area ..and they sell top dollar when one rolls around....I'm a big Ruger "S" series fan ..and I'm set with a Speed Six 2.75in. barrel , a Security Six and Police six both 4 inch barrels and all SS and in 357 mag

Thanks for the feedback, I'm now a proud revolver owner! Thanks for the link WrongRecroom, that was a great resource for me. Unfortunately, I won't make it the range tonight but I have a feeling I'll be at the indoor range tomorrow after work.

Ruger GP100.jpg
    ritepath and BamaT like this.

Congrats on the gun. You'll like it.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

The Ruger GP100 and the SP101 are both 'tanks'...both are fine revolvers, and everyone should own one.
    Bigsteve113, BamaT and airslot like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Member Array Bigsteve113's Avatar
    You're gonna love that gun. Shot mine today. Awesome guns. Here's mine.20140102_153953.jpg
    BamaT likes this.
    “Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.”

― Heraclitus

I should just add ...If you are carrying this for bears I hope at most your facting black bears ... 357 is just barel enough if you ask me if facing down angry bear .. If you do carry this for bear .. Get the hottest 347 hard cast round you can for it .. Underwood . Buffole bore etc ... Ruger can handle it ..

But they are freaking tanks .. If all else fails you could probley beat the bear to death with it ........
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Congrats.......
    Last edited by cjkent; May 5th, 2014 at 07:19 AM.

Congrats on the new gun.

Generally seen for about $550 here new.

Quote Originally Posted by BobcatSig View Post
    Thanks for the feedback, I'm now a proud revolver owner! Thanks for the link WrongRecroom, that was a great resource for me. Unfortunately, I won't make it the range tonight but I have a feeling I'll be at the indoor range tomorrow after work.

Ruger GP100.jpg
    I think you've done well. Not the bargain of the decade, but far from a ripoff. The GP100 is a super rugged gun and even full-house .357s won't leave you feeling beat up.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

You'll love it. I've got the 6" stainless and its my favorite to shoot.
    I'd like to get a 4" as well. The Mrs will enjoy shooting it as well. 38 spls feel like 22s.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. Albert Einstein

"People in Arizona carry guns," said a Chandler police spokesman. "You better be careful about who you are picking on."

Links