Kimber Solo light strikes and thumb safety issues

This is a discussion on Kimber Solo light strikes and thumb safety issues within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Picked up a used Kimber Solo a couple weeks ago and took it out for the first time today and it didn't go well at ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Kimber Solo light strikes and thumb safety issues

Picked up a used Kimber Solo a couple weeks ago and took it out for the first time today and it didn't go well at all. First few of mags I had 2-3 light primer strikes per mag, then it eventually go to where it wouldn't fire at all. Very light indention in the primers. I saw a couple of lead shavings in the mouth of the primer channel but removing them did nothing. Tried several different brands, all 124 or 147 grains. Also the right side thumb safety just fell off. I pushed it back in and it clicked. Seems to be held in place good, but obviously that alarmed me. Got a few questions

1) is the light strikes and/or thumb safety coming out a common problem. I had read up before I got it and was aware of feeding issues but not this

2) I would like to remove the firing pin and clean it really good, but for the life of me I can't figure it out. I am not new to guns, but I am to striker fire (also rarely do complete disassembly of any gun). Does anyone have a video or detailed pictures for a dummy like me to get the firing pin out?

3) what should I expect from kimber's warranty since I am not the original owner, would they possible pay for shipping?

4) would it be worth it to try to put in a new firing pin and spring myself? How much do they run?

5) Why would the thumb safety just fall out? With the slide off there seems to be two holes on the bar from the right safety to the left. Can someone take a pic of theirs so I can see if maybe a pin is missing.

Thanks!!

If Kimber won't warranty, then Find a good gunsmith

Im one of those people who think that once you lose confidence in a weapon, you never get it back. If that weapon is for self defense, Id get rid of it.

VIP Member
    Never seen light strikes nor thumb safety issues. My thumb safety is great with a real positive click. Sounds like you bought problem child as I have not heard of either of these issues prior.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

You wouldn't have these problems with a 1911.
    ntkb likes this.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Quote Originally Posted by NONAME762 View Post
    You wouldn't have these problems with a 1911.
    I also wouldn't have a pocket 9mm
    Tundra5.7 and AK_Brian like this.

I really hope you got a great deal, and that your weapon needs next to no work done on it to be the bestest gun ever. However, Im thinking there is a reason that the last guy got rid of it.

Quote Originally Posted by StormRhydr View Post
    I really hope you got a great deal, and that your weapon needs next to no work done on it to be the bestest gun ever. However, Im thinking there is a reason that the last guy got rid of it.

maybe, maybe not. I know the last guy pretty well and have for years. He would probably buy it back, but not going that route yet. The gun fits all the external criteria of what I am looking for in a pocket 9. Striker, thumb safety, good sights, nice trigger. So I don't want to get rid of it or sell it back yet.

So does anyone actually have any experience with the solo?

VIP Member
    Sorry to read about your problems. I bought one (new) about 10 months ago, mine has been great.

There are a lot of old threads here you can search regarding Solos, I'll bet you can find an answer, if not contact Kimber.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Distinguished Member Array Tundra5.7's Avatar
    Hate to hear you are having problems. I'd start with Kimber and see what they say. I almost bought a Solo but was turned off by the number of problems my LGS encountered with a batch of them.
    "Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

Thanks everyone. Called Kimber they are paying shipping and I will send it back. Average turnaround is 3-4 weeks, but he said he may be sooner.

Impressed with customer service so far!

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    One post too late, but I bet a teardown and thorough cleaning of the slide would fix the light strikes. Money says it's gunked up. When you get it back, check to see if there are sharp edges on the firing pin hole. If so, that needs to be chamfered "slightly" so that it doesn't shave tiny bits of brass as the case slides across it. The safety will be up to Kimber.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

One thing I would question about light strikes. Kimber makes it very clear not to apply any oil at all in the striker mechanism. If you bought the gun used or cleaned it prior to shooting and oiled in this area, this may be the problem with the light strikes.

thanks Oldvet and Oreste, I haven't mailed it yet so I might look into that, although I have other guns that are used for SD, so I wouldn't mind the wait sending it in.

Distinguished Member Array clarkston_cz's Avatar
    Threads like these make me leery about buying a SOLO, esp. a new one.

I'm also curious about recoil with something so small, even though i like the one I handled.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links