springfield gi micro ?

This is a discussion on springfield gi micro ? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; anybody have a springfield gi micro ? anybody shot one ? was thinking of making this my first 1911 .And i just wanted to know ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: springfield gi micro ?

springfield gi micro ?

anybody have a springfield gi micro ? anybody shot one ?

was thinking of making this my first 1911 .And i just wanted to know what anyone who has had actual hands on experience thought about this firearm?

should i just save and go for the fullsize loaded ?
    Last edited by rimfiredude; January 5th, 2007 at 12:52 AM.

2. Remove Ads

From what I hear the GI series from Spingfield are good guns and shoot well. As 1911 guy I would consider the Custom Loaded micro http://www.springfield-armory.com/pr...-1911-mc.shtml
    but as a Kimber owner this is the way I would go.
    http://www.kimberamerica.com/pistols/ultracarry/

Just some other options for ya.

He is asking about the mil spec 3" found here, http://www.springfield-armory.com/im...9801LLarge.jpg

To answer your question, save and get the loaded in either the commander or full size model.

Are you wanting this for a carry gun? If so how much is your life worth? The reason I ask this is the GI is fine but it is the very bottom of the line in quality thus the price point. I'd much rather have something I can count on 100%.

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Ti Carry has brought up a good point, if this is going to be a carry gun then I like Ti would want something a little more reliable.

If you want to stay with the 3" barrel then the links I provided above are IMO better options.

OK, I'll buck the tide. I've got the exact model he's talking about and it runs just fine. While they are not Springfields top of the line they are still good guns. They usually need a good break in, mine had several FTF's in the first 300 rounds. I polished the breach face and feed ramp at about the end of the break in and no troubles since. Round count is over 2000 now.

I know at least six others with this model who are very happy with theirs and the local gun store can't keep them in stock as they move fast. They report few problems with them.

Now I also have a Commander and I will admit that I shoot it better but then it's had a good tune up and action job so it has a way better trigger. The longer sight radius helps as well. However the Commander can be rather fussy with some hollow points and the GI Micro has happily consumed everything I've tried in it so far.

Another point in the GI Micro's favor is it's steel frame. The more expensive models are lightweight frames. I find I like the steel frame in the 3" model as it has less felt recoil and muzzle flip.

Now as a first 1911? Well I will say that 3" 1911's are NOT tolerant of poor shooting technique. They want a good firm grip and limp wristing will guarantee a jam in my experience. This could be good or bad depending on the person and skill level. The Micro's trigger is about what I'd expect at that price point. About 5.5 to 6 I'd say. Mine will be visiting my favorite 1911 smith for a tune and trigger job one day as I like 4 to 4.5 and a longer, flatter profile. They also have tiny sights but on a carry gun that is not as much of an issue as at the range. Overall I'm very satisfied with mine despite all the doom and gloom predictions on the internet.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Administrator
    I'm going to back Ti's post 100%. The micro is a fickle gun, and a crap shoot if your going to get one properly tuned from Springfield. J.M. Browning designed the gun to be a 5", we pushed the limit with the 4" and we broke the back with a 3".

They can work, but I can't say that its a good choice for a first time 1911 owner.

I am sorry but I do not trust small 1911 45acp pistols. I have yet to see one run well. A friend of mine has two small Paras and he has trouble with both. I would put my trust in a Glock 30 or 36. Regards, Richard

If you have noodled around the other micros, and you still love this one, go for it. Worse case scenario is you have to work out the bugs during a break-in period, and if you find you're not satisfied, take the loss and trade it in for something else, or save it and still buy something else!

I fell in love with the Kimber CDP II Ultra and it was 98% out of the box during the first couple of hundred rounds. 100 % since then, now 1700 rounds later. I trust it, so it's my main carry.

JMTC

thanks for the advice fellows! ive heard that the micro guns are not as reliable as the fullsize,but i just dont think i can conceal a fullsize.

i have a big gut and i dont think its possible to conceal a fullsize at least not for me!
    i may just have to save for a while longer and get the loaded

You could also consider a CCO. Officers frame with Commander length slide. Would take a little looking but they are around.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

I really like my SA Micro and have found it to be very reliable, so far just as reliable as my Colt Defender. Both had a few hiccups at the first, but became just as good (reliability wise), IMO as my fullsize 1911.

First 1911 though? I'd probally not recommend one for that, and if you can do it, go for the loaded regardless of size.

Quote Originally Posted by Kid1911 View Post
    From what I hear the GI series from Spingfield are good guns and shoot well. As 1911 guy I would consider the Custom Loaded micro http://www.springfield-armory.com/pr...-1911-mc.shtml
    but as a Kimber owner this is the way I would go.
    http://www.kimberamerica.com/pistols/ultracarry/

Just some other options for ya.
    No experience with the Springfield, but one vote for the Kimber Ultra Carry. I love this little gun. Shoots pretty well too.
    "You're already flying upside down. You might as well turn on the smoke and have some fun."
    - Laurence Gonzales - "Deep Survival"

I like these guns a lot but if I was going to get a small 1911 I think I would be looking at the Para Warthawg.

I have heard a lot of good things about these guns.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

See there's a funny thing. We have a guy at the range that has trying to get his 3" Para to run for six months before giving up in disgust. I think the truth is every maker will always have a few problem guns from time to time. Thanks to the internet these things can get blown up to the level of urban myth.

Many know it is a "fact" that 3" 1911 pattern guns are unreliable and cannot be made reliable. When they were first introduce they did indeed seem to have a large number of troublesome guns. Yet today I meet and swap email with a large number of people with 3"ers of several different makes that are completely reliable. The gun shop moves them out the door fast and rarely sees them come back. Many of these customers shoot at their range and report the guns are great. Even the dreaded Springfield GI Micros!

Compare that to Kel Tecs. People acknowledge that they are often problematic at first and require trips to the factory, fluff and buffs, often break parts, etc. Yet many people still love them and many swear by them! Am I missing something here? Oh, and for my personal rant I get a little tired of the old argument of "How dare you touch Mr. Brownings design!" Yes, he was an arms design genius. That is well acknowledged. He is not the only designer ever though and we improve our lives by modifying designs every where else, or should we all just return to driving Model T's. (I'm not bashing the design so turn off the ol' flamethrower, I LOVE my 1911's. I just happen to like things besides the pure 5")

Quote Originally Posted by richardoldfield View Post
    I am sorry but I do not trust small 1911 45acp pistols. I have yet to see one run well. A friend of mine has two small Paras and he has trouble with both. I would put my trust in a Glock 30 or 36. Regards, Richard
    Well, I can speak to both sides of this. I have a Para Warthog, that I just won't break in yet. To be fair, I've only put about 3-400 rounds through it. But it seems to get dirty, and not feed a round or 2 periodically. Clean it, and it runs just fine for 50 rounds or so. It is better than it was right out of the box.

On the other hand, I have a Kimber UC II, that just keeps on going, and going, and ...

I had a very few feed problems with it in the first 100 rounds or so. But don't think I've had anything since then. Still probably don't have more than 5-600 rounds through it yet.
    "You're already flying upside down. You might as well turn on the smoke and have some fun."
    - Laurence Gonzales - "Deep Survival"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links