coming to grips with an LCR

This is a discussion on coming to grips with an LCR within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Everybody has different types of hands. This fact did not quite register until I bought this very LITTLE Ruger revolver. I figured it was just ...

Everybody has different types of hands. This fact did not quite register until I bought this very LITTLE Ruger revolver. I figured it was just buy-it-and-shoot-it.
    The standard Tamer grip was rubbery/tacky, therefore a little difficult (but not impossible) to draw from a pocket (my choice of carrying). I purchased Ruger's bantam grip, which is about 1/2 inch shorter. It's smoother, but leaves my little finger with little or nothing to touch, which gives me less control over the re-coil, enough to sour me on this bantam grip, although it does slide out of the pocket nicely. (It will now be for sale.)

Yet these are not the real problems. This biggest problem has to do with my long, slender fingers, a problem I have never heard addressed on a blog.
    If you have relatively long fingers and you wrap them around the LCR, your right index finger may touch the tip of your thumb of your other hand JUST at the point of firing, which leaves you scratching your left thumb with your right one, as you curl your finger, and (infuriatingly) JUST at the point of explosion. Your index nail on your firing hand is literally curlilng around through the trigger guard and digging across the end of your shooting thumb. Of course you can fire the gun, but all this is happening just as the round fires. That's the point at which there should not the least perturabation of a smooth curl of the trigger.
    Now, it is possible to push your right thumb down and out the way with your left thumb, and I have done it; but it feels terrible.
    I tried shimming the back of the grip with taped layers of various things to allow my finger not to curl so far around the trigger, but that feels awkward and unnatural.

My solution to this is (in my humble opinion) elegant:
    I work in laboratory where there is lots of rubber hose lying around, especially pressure hose. I selected a piece of heavy-walled tubing that looks like very stiff neoprene. The OD is 1//2 inch, and the ID is 1/4 inch. I razored off about a 1/2 inch piece and slit it length wise. This gave me a hard piece of hose, but soft enough to collar around the trigger (closed side forward, of course). This shims the trigger forward about 1/4 inch , JUST enough for one thumb to clear the other, even at the rear limits of travel! The very large trigger guard of the LCR makes this easy.
    Now I am in hog heaven, and can't wait to get back to the range. Now maybe I won't have to make any more trial-and-error purchases. The CT laser grip I just bought still has the clearance problem, but it now sports my trigger-modification, so it works great, with its checkered grip which slides out of a pocket nicely.
    Anybody want to buy an LCR bantam grip for an LCR? It's almost brand new, with virtually no wear. It would be a good smooth grip for someone with smaller hands who carries by pocket. Just did not work out for me.
    By the way, I even bought Eagle Grip's rosewood grip. Take note: it's very pretty (like all their stuff); but it fails to come up to the trigger guard, by about 1/8 to 1/4 inch. I got my money back.
    Anyway, I thought this might help someone else with piano hands.
    Maybe it makes the gun look tacky, but--hey--it's concealed! Also, it's hammerless. Ruger did not bill it as "handsome," only that it is great for what it is supposed to do, in my case deliver five +P 38's when and where I need them, with laser assist if need be.
    I would be interested in hearing if anyone else has had this problem with a small handgun.

I really fouled up that explanation. Here's a do-over:

"If you have relatively long fingers and you wrap them around the LCR, your right grip finger may touch the tip of your thumb on that same hand, JUST at the point of firing, which leaves you scratching your right thumb with your trigger finger, as you curl your finger, and (infuriatingly) JUST at the point of explosion. Your index nail on your firing hand is literally curlilng around through the trigger guard and digging across the end of your shooting thumb. Of course you can fire the gun, but all this is happening just as the round fires. That's the point at which there should not the least perturabation of a smooth curl of the trigger."
    44hooter

Links