Unlikely words from the guy behind the gun store counter today

This is a discussion on Unlikely words from the guy behind the gun store counter today within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been trying to find a stock Glock recoil spring for my 23. This is my older Gen 3 and it needs one. I ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree112Likes

Thread: Unlikely words from the guy behind the gun store counter today

I have been trying to find a stock Glock recoil spring for my 23. This is my older Gen 3 and it needs one. I have been to 6 shops in the Bham area and not ONE has them in stock (sad really).

I was also looking for XS Big Dot Sights for the G23 as well. The largest store in my area had some on the wall, but I couldn't see what guns they fit because it was behind the counter on the wall. I asked one guy there if they had any for the G23. He said "nope". I asked when their next shipment would arrive and his response was "they don't sell anymore, so we haven't ordered any". I asked why they weren't selling and he said "they are too big for people to be accurate". Then one of the other guys piped up and said something that caught my ear, he said "if we had anyone around here that knew what the ^%$ they were for and explain them to people, we'd sell a ton of them. Most gun store employees don't know SH&^ about any of this stuff".

FINALLY! Someone that works there had the stones to say what we have all thought on occasion. Needless to say I'll look for him next time I go in there to buy something.

And I finally had to order the recoil spring and sights online. I tried to give the local guys my money, but none of the gun stores stock the important stuff like parts, quality belts and holsters. What a waste of additional revenue.
    wdbailey, ugh762x39, PEF and 9 others like this.
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

......in Alabama ?? That is unbelievable.
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

Ex Member
    Check the bottom of the dishwasher.

OO7
    OP first of all I love your AV. Second of al one of the workers at my LGS admitted to me he had never shot a handgun besides a .22 when I asked him how frangable ammo shot.
    WrongRecroom and gatorbait51 like this.
    The government should be afraid of their people not the other way around.

Why are you looking for recoil springs and big dots at the store?? You can simply order them online and have it at your door in 3 days.

I dont know about the rest of you but anyone who would put down other employees or the shop he works for - in front of the public, is not someone I would be impressed with.
    Think like a man of action - Act like a man of thought

Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    I tried to give the local guys my money, but none of the gun stores stock the important stuff like parts, quality belts and holsters. What a waste of additional revenue.
    Stores have to stock inventory that moves to make money. While having a few basic maintenance parts for the more popular guns, might make sense, stocking a variety of aftermarket accessories at a reasonably competitive price, probably doesn't. For sights alone, there are so many manufacturers and variations from each maker, that keeping enough on hand to have for the occasional customer would be an ineffective use of money and space. my $0.02
    nedrgr21, oscar1 and gatorbait51 like this.
    TY54712

Quote Originally Posted by Fizban View Post
    I dont know about the rest of you but anyone who would put down other employees or the shop he works for - in front of the public, is not someone I would be impressed with.
    When the other employee just unloaded a bunch of obvious BS on a paying customer about his own gun, I would consider it well deserved. I've seen and worked with enough of those that you just can't tell squat to, to appreciate it when they get called out. Bet dollars to doughnuts the conversation has been had with the dolt more than once.

I completely understand about inventory, but having say $1000 worth of $5-10 parts available for customers goes a long way when it comes to goodwill for people with popular guns like Glocks, 1911's, etc. While they may not make any money on them, it is a chance to upsell - "hey, since you've shot it enough to wear out the spring, have you thought about new sights/other springs/have an armorer look it over or give it a deep clean." And it's one less customer going online to buy a bunch of stuff.

LGS's do enough to drive people online - ignorance at the counter, lack of parts, etc. Both get old quick. When I lived in Springfield there was a shop that was infamous for the owner being a jerk; however, he knew is stuff and had plenty of parts that no one else did. He's still there.

VIP Member
    Wow, I have 2 lgs and both are well staffed and they have a great variety of add ons. Sorry you got screwed. C'mon up to Utah, we know guns

I like to support my lgs as much as possible because I like to "kick the tires" before making a purchase. Internet is great but I can't handle it and touch it etc. Many dealers have a money back return policy for 30 days or whatever. What a pain in the butt. I'd rather check it out in the store and go home happy. Not always possible but if I can I do.
    gatorbait51 and JDE101 like this.
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head

Quote Originally Posted by Simonsay View Post
    Stores have to stock inventory that moves to make money. While having a few basic maintenance parts for the more popular guns, might make sense, stocking a variety of aftermarket accessories at a reasonably competitive price, probably doesn't. For sights alone, there are so many manufacturers and variations from each maker, that keeping enough on hand to have for the occasional customer would be an ineffective use of money and space. my $0.02
    Yes, but a recoil spring for a Glock 23 (gen 3 so it also is for the Glock 19, two of the most popular handguns on the planet) is $10 and they should stock them. And they SHOULD carry quality belts and holsters. The #1 rule of concealed carry is you will only be as successful as your rig. Anyone selling guns for concealed carry should at least EDUCATE the customer on the subject. The only way to do that is to have used a lot of holsters and a lot of belts and then you can ask the right questions to get the customer the right holster/belt combo (or sights, or mags, or whatever). Reminds me of the sales trainer who went to teach salespeople at a BMW dealership how to sell BMW's. He asked everyone who had a BMW to raise their hands, he then asked everyone who didn't raise their hand to leave the class. Get the idea?

If I had a dollar for every gun for sale on Armslist in my area that tout "IWB holster included" and you look and it is a one size fits all nylon uncle mikes, perhaps that person would have kept their Sig 229 with a proper belt and holster. Instead, the guys behind the counter do little more than hand a customer a gun, lock the slide back, and give half witted answers to simple questions. When I can tell my brother more about the features and capacity and weights of the Glock 19, M&P9c, M&P40c and Ruger LC9 (and the difference between single and double stack) then why do they pay those guys?

They don't even have to stock the inventory of stuff, but have some rigs people can try on and then order them for the customer. Why not have a few guns with different sights and let the customer shoot them both to see what they like? THAT kind of service is a place where I would shop.

I am in sales, I HAVE to be the subject matter expert or else what good am I? A gun store employee who can't tell me the difference between XS Big Dots and regular Trijicon notch and post sights should not be working there. Otherwise I CAN go to the internet and learn and buy what I need. But how much better if I could TRY rigs before I bought them?

Why are you looking for recoil springs and big dots at the store?? You can simply order them online and have it at your door in 3 days.

If I can get things locally then those dollars support my local town and local shops, they are my allies so I try and give them my money. Plus, if I don't have to wait, all the better.

The guy didn't say anything that isn't true. My brother in law was with me and was looking for his first carry gun, one of the guys tried to tell him a Ruger LC9 was way more accurate than a Glock 19. His exact words were "if you want to do precision shooting, get the Ruger, if all you want to do is hit somewhere near center mass, then get the Glock." I can shoot pretty darn precise with my Glocks so that was false, and the LC9 has a long double action trigger, a new shooter would struggle more with that than a striker gun.
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

"Truth" is truth, but

"Knowledge" is knowing what to say.

"Wisdom" is knowing when and how to say it.

Sounds like both sales reps came up short, an all too common occurrence.

I think the LGS employee already did that for himself! DR
    gatorbait51 and Fizban like this.

How many G-19/23 owners, as a percentage, will fire enough rounds through their gun to need a new recoil spring or replace the plastic sights? I would almost guarantee you would never see my favorite Glock sights in a gun store. If you are talking about having some demos... I get it. You went in and asked for a sight that I wouldn't use, and don't know anyone that does. They didn't have it. Makes sense.
    oscar1 and gatorbait51 like this.
    TY54712

Distinguished Member Array miller_man's Avatar
    Ya, I've been baffled at times with the lack of quality stuff at most LGS (esp my old range/store). I've went in looking for sights, mag carriers (that were not uncle mikes), holsters and some other "simple" things that I was sure they'd have at least some variety of and was surprised when they had mostly nothing, all for the ever popular G19/23 as well. I wouldn't be surprised at recoil springs and such though.

Funny, I just ordered a new recoil spring, and other spare parts for my G19 a few days ago.

One thing I learned quickly at the LGS, those guys usually don't know a lot about guns or shooting them. I remember my first few times going into my LGS - thinking "those guys must know everything about guns"- but from a few months hanging around here a learning some real knowledge - they didn't know JACK.
    smolck, gatorbait51 and accessbob like this.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

You went in and asked for a sight that I wouldn't use, and don't know anyone that does. Makes sense.
    Not sure the point of that comment. Just because you and your circle of friends don't use them, doesn't make them unpopular. And besides, that isn't the point. If you work at a gun store, is it not a good idea to know all things gun and gun related? Especially when you have them on your shelf for sale?

How many G-19/23 owners, as a percentage, will fire enough rounds through their gun to need a new recoil spring or replace the plastic sights?
    You bring up another great point. Any salesman worth his salt should tell ANYONE who buys a Glock the shortcomings of the plastic sights that come on Glocks. Can you say upsell? I'd say "mr. customer, the Glock is an excellent pistol, however there is one major shortcoming, and that is the factory Glock sights." "you told me earlier that you were going to use this gun for concealed carry and home defense, do you intend to shoot it much past 25 yards?" "If not let me show you these XS Big Dot sights, if you want something more traditional, we have these two to choose from". "In addition to a faster, better sight picture, any of these sights will hold up to the rigors of one handed malfunction clearances and racking the slide on your belt/clothing" When they ask "what are you talking about" you say "why not sign up for some of our defensive pistol courses so you can learn why that is important?" "also, do you have a solid gun belt and holster?" "lets step over here and I'll show you why you should get a good belt"

It would be EASY to sell those things.......

Just my .02, but I treat gun purchases with the same philosophy as a car purchase in that I generally know what I want and why I want it before I set foot in the store. The only thing those guys do for me is fill out the required paperwork. I take care of all the rest including parts, on my own.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links