Should i trade my lcr .38 for kahr cm9?

This is a discussion on Should i trade my lcr .38 for kahr cm9? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Here's the deal.. I own a LCR .38 special and primarily use it for pocket carry. I like how light it is and i like ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Should i trade my lcr .38 for kahr cm9?

Here's the deal.. I own a LCR .38 special and primarily use it for pocket carry. I like how light it is and i like the idea of the reliability of a revolver but it only holds 5 rounds of .38 special. Im not saying that the .38 is an underpowered round because i feel as if it would def do the job but i hate the capacity and re loads in a stressful/dangerous situation with a revolver seem difficult. BTW the LCR is comfortable to pocket carry, for me anyways. With the bad points that i mentioned i have been thinking about getting some kind of pocket 9mm. I like the 9mm cartridge, i think its powerful enough, i dont mind the cost , and its common to come by. The other benefit to a pocket nine is capacity is boosted from 5 rounds to say 6 or 7 or whatever. I also like the idea of a much faster reload if for some reason I didnt do the job with the first mag. I kind of have my eyes set on the KAHR CM9. What do u think ? Should i trade the LCR for it ? Should i trade the LCR for a different pocket 9mm other than the CM9? BTW im only looking for a gun small enough for the front pocket for summer carry in light clothes. I typically carry a glock 27 IWB in less than scorching temps. LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU GUYS THINK !

No.
    10thmtn and _The_Kid like this.
    Mike
    I will rarely post, but will read (and hopefully learn) a lot

May want to try the CM9 in your pocket before settling on it. I had one and pocket carried it once. It fit, but if you wear the new style jeans or similar, it isn't a pocket gun so much. It was reliable and accurate. I would like another some day for deep, deep concealment. I know a lot of guys love revolvers, but I suck with them and much prefer the CM9 to any snubbie. I also like 7 rounds of 9mm vs 5 rounds of .38
    _The_Kid and zonker1986 like this.
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

Thanks for the reply Mike but if u dont mind Id like to hear your reasoning behind the no response

Distinguished Member Array Tundra5.7's Avatar
    I like Kahr's in general but I would not trade the LCR for a CM9. You have an extremely reliable self defense handgun in the LCR. The Kahr may take a lot of break in and a trip back to Kahr to make it run right. I know because I had to do just that with my CM9.
    _The_Kid likes this.
    "Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

Distinguished Member
    I agree w SWI; no. Call Kahr customer service and ask them the time. That might give you an idea.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

I sure wouldn't. The LCR is smaller, lighter, and more reliable.
    _The_Kid likes this.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

My LCR .357 is the pocket gun that I don't mind if it gets dinged up while working outside. Plus, the nostalgia of a revolver combined with 21st century technology is just hard to be beat. I'd keep the LCR, and save up to buy the Kahr.
    _The_Kid and Haywood like this.

Keep the LCR.....and you have options with carry with the 38 Spl...staggered rounds..is one big plus...revolvers work every-time...when asked by a co-worker ..what firearm he should purchase for his wife for personal carry protection ..I said the Ruger LCR...with zero hesitation...and she is very comfortable with the firearm at the range...next week I'm to start working with her with a few SD tactics and shooting drills....I'm afraid she will out shoot me and my 642...
    _The_Kid likes this.

My own personal perspective, I wouldn't trade my LCR 357 for any Kahr. And that includes the ones that actually fire bullets.
    _The_Kid, Haywood and BurgerBoy like this.

Sell it and get the lcr 357 mag ... 357 mag will stop about anything short of bears if you ask me

Plus the pm if I remeber is the pretty big model..

Also I sold mine as to me it kicked me in the web of my hand very hard .. Just could not shoot it .. The K9 I have does not know but it is a pretty big gun for pocket carry
    _The_Kid likes this.
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

For years, my main pocket gun was a Smith 642. It is comfortable in my pocket, and I have confidence in it's reliability. Nevertheless, my hoped for pocket gun was a micro 9mm. I wasn't totally comfortable with the power of .38 Special, nor the five shot capacity of the wheel gun. And I didn't shoot it particularly well, either. (some DC posters argue for more practice).

When the micro 9's finally began to appear, I watched and read. I didn't want a manual safety. I didn't want a magazine disconnect. I wanted one that felt good in my hands. I finally settled on the Kahr CM-9 after reading a favorable review in Gun tests magazine and holding one for myself. Mine has been 100% reliable from the start. And I shoot it MUCH better than I ever did the 642.

But I kept the 642. And I suspect that I'll always have it. Financially, I could afford to buy the Kahr without selling the Smith, so I did.

This is my story. Hope it helps you decide how you want to proceed. What was right for me, may not be right for you.

Good luck!
    ETXhiker likes this.

In my opinion you should keep the LCR.38 lcr .38 cos it works better than kahr cm9

I have all three ; LCR 38 and the 357 as well as the CM 9. In my heart I am a revolver guy. However is hard to deny the advantages of the CM 9. Greater capacity, more powerful than the 38 +p and easier to shoot than the 357.

Add to that much faster reloads. The CM 9 loaded weighs the same as the 357. All fit in the pocket well. The revolver still wins on appendix carry. Very fast to deploy

I have not had a single problem with my Kahr 100 percent reliable

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived." -G.S. Patton

From someone who HAD a CM9 and sold it, no. I hated the trigger and couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with it....from inside the barn.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links